Thread: Norway

Mini Goon

A few pics from my last trip to Norway end of august, beginning of september.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gallery...&v=6&UAbN=4967

Made with a panasonic gf1 and 14mm lens.

Thanks for looking,

Gregor

Some lovely, empty mountains there - Norway is like Scotland on steroids.

And in late Aug / early Sept summer is very definitely over and winter isn't far away. Especially this year, I'd imagine.

Where in Norway were you?

Mini Goon

Hi Matt,

"Norway is Scotland on steroids" made me smile! Very well put!

This is far north, east of Narvik. The area south of Katerat and Riksgransen (sweden)

Goon

Nice pohotos, hope to visit norway one day. can anyone see a face in the cloudson photo 19 ?

Ah, thanks Gregor. I took a winter trip to Bjorkliden and Riksgransen for ski touring about 12 years ago, but I couldn't recognise it - it's very different in winter, plus we got pretty crap weather and didn't actually see very much! We took a day trip to Narvik on a particularly bad weather day and spent quite a few hours in the war museum there.

Sam, I can see what you mean... but I'd have had to have been drinking to spot it for myself

It looks great, what were the logistics of your trip, where did you fly too and did you buy food/fuel over there etc?

Mini Goon

Sam: I will try finding the face later after some whisky. I cant see it now.

Steve, I flew to Narvik. Since I arrived late I slept one night in a guesthouse before taking the morning train to the drop off station Bjornfjell.

I ordered some gas and RealTurmat meals from an norwegian online store and had it delivered to the guesthouse. That was quite expensive and in the end it turned out that there was an outdoorshop on the way to the railwaystation that was open early enough. (Even the smallest towns seem to have at least one outdoorshop. Fuel, food and other gear are also available at intersports and G-sport stores.)

I got of the train at Bjornfjell, not knowing that riksgransen had a "trainstation" aswell (read one platform, and if you like the train will stop) That station was in sweden and maybe therefor not as such drawn on my norwegian map...

My walk was a big u turn, going as far south as the Unna Allak hut along the swedish norwegian border then crossing into norway again ang going a bit north again and ending at station katerat.

It's a very quiete area, hardly any walkers, much quieter as for example the Kungsleden. Huts are at daywalk distance.

Cheers for the info

I would love to go hiking/trekking in Norway someday, what's it like (in terms of the Scotland reference mentioned above) regarding midges in the summer?