Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulin T3 Stove Msr XGK EX lookalike

Initiate
    Hi Anyone seen used or tried the Bulin T3 Stove blatant copy of the Msr XGK EX stove Without the price tag and the added bonus of taking gas cartridges Any feedback would be great thinking of giving it at go for ??60

Initiate
    Ha ok matey, just read that online looks identical, but ??50 sheets cheaper
    With the added bonus of adding gas if I want it, read that the fuel pumps are iffy (leaking)
    ??61 delivered can't really complain mainly for heating water melting snow if the notion takes me , and hopefully it will simmer ok using gas

Initiate
    Yeah I've just punted a new 2012 whisperlite that was pure pish bcoz it put burn spots on my titanium pots bloody raging kept them in great nic for years, the old whisperlite with the brass control pump worked much better with a bit of practice, on the new model it keeps turning off, my thinking tho great for boiling water, then changing fuel line to gas should allow better simmering ? If I'm cooking fresh pasta
    I use a primus gravity EF2 it's a cracking stove however not so good when the temps plunge. So thinking of a cheap Bulin T3 XGK EX twin

Initiate
    That's the thing great price, sounds good but maybe not gonna be good for what I'm needing it for was kind of hoping I had the option to change the fuel line to gas and that would allow more flexibility for simmering 2 stoves in one. maybe I'm looking for to much from a ??60 stove

If anyone's got or tried one let me know how it performs and if the change of fuel to gas improves simmer control

Initiate

No they are not identical...but obviously the Bulin is a close copy.

For a start the MSR is made in Seattle not Guangzhou (China) but besides that and apart from the obviosly different pump there are minor differences in the case,legs and pre-heat tube.

Initiate

I understand that, have you actually used it?

‹bermensch

I purchased another version on Ebay a while back but the base model minus fuel pump and bottle cost less than £20 delivered and can not fault it at all. I also purchased the adaptor to take the aerosol type cannisters which we use for family camping stoves and are a lot cheaper. The simmer is fine nothing spectacular but works well enough.

Under full heat one support arm has warped very very slightly but this is a minor niggle that happened very soon after using it and has not got any worse since then.

My Comparrison stove is two MSR XGK 2 stoves so my review should be compared with a stove that when new was £70 and new version is over £100.

I am that please I am looking at buying another one or two and with the fuel bottle and pump just working out if the taxman will sting me on duty from Hong Kong for the first time.

Initiate
    My mate works at the local postie and says there clamping down on any
    Overseas items even if it says gift, there opening and checking now or so he says

Initiate
    Hijack away getting into this now finding my legs!

Really would like an opinion who has used the t3 XGK model
    For ??60 delivered not really a big risk, however not wanting to add another
    Stove to the collection now I'll probably not get it sold again ; )

First off, I have no personal experience of the F(ake)GK but I do own an XGK EX.

If you are looking to spend less on a stove than the £100 or more the real MSR XGK EX goes for, and also more than the 70 or so you would need to pay for a used one on ebay, why not settle for the older xgk II? A used one complete with fuel bottle and pump should cost no more than £40. The same goes for a used whisperlite international. Both burn petrol as well asparaffin. Neither is good at anything besides fast boiling or melting snow since they both lack a secondary fuel valve.

Initiate

I was really after someone who has used this actual stove, No Matter now as i just went ahead and bot it for £60 delivered was worth a punt, and im pleased to say its top notch every bit as good as the Msr XGK EX boils super fast and the gas canister attachment is ideal for simmering when your cooking pasta etc, only thing ive noticed is it takes a while to boil using gas, the burner is quite far away so its not that fuel efficient and im wasting gas, however not that fussed as long as its doin the job and i have the option to swith to gas for the odd pasta diner. Build quality is near identical, i actually think the pump is more robust than the newer msr pumps, only pisser is it wont screw in to msr fuel bottles but hey ho cant have everything

‹bermensch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiaOD...eature=related

That is the youtube link to the one I have Bill the body is identical to the one you are looking at just mine has a burner head the same as the XGK stoves. Oh and no piezzo igniter attached on mine.

The metal is a bit cheaper and one leg warped very very slightly but in no way affects it's stability in use or for closing the stove up for storage.

The guy on Ebay in the UK sells the one I have so no risk of import duty and I have not ordered any item over £15 for a while now from Hong Kong but customs are really clamping down everywhere else so unless there is a special exception you will risk being stung by the post office.

‹bermensch

Bill buy the adaptor to allow the aerosol style cannisters to be used I have the one with the two dovetail feet protruding and it works great.

Initiate
    Got it, it came with it also can't complain for ??60 sheets, never used aerosol gas is it any better at colder temps? Think its a little cheaper

I've seen ur stove, was after an Msr Xgk Ex until I came across the identical builin T3 for half the price and greater flexibility with the gas adapters
    It's not a stove that's designed for gas, really just a changeable fuel line it works
    Though not very well otherwise I'm sure msr would have added it to their XGK

I've used it twice, last week camping at the bridge of Orchy cold nite -3 worked brilliantly on Coleman fuel for boiling water and was ok using gas , no where as good as my primus gravity. Needed a winter stove for boiling water and gas adaptor was a bonus and again at ??60 I'm delighted with it, only time will tell if it lasts,

‹bermensch

Not sure if any better at cold temps as coldest I have used it is around freezing and not seen massive difference there, but the cannisters work out so much cheaper and for me personally the aerosal shape fits in better when packing than the normal cannisters. Also we use the same cannisters for cooking when family camping so we buy in bulk generally 12 or 16 cannisters at a time.

It works well enough and to be honest I do not know why MSR have not made it as an option on the XGK and dragonfly models, even if less efficient it would still add to the versatility of the stoves and make them truely multi-fuel.

They work that well I am going to be buying two more when can, but both with fuel pump and bottle. I will get the same model that I have with the burner looking identical to most other liquid fuel stoves rather than the gas type burner head but then later buy a gas type one maybe afire maple branded one.

To be honest I prefer them over my XGK2 as that has a solid fuel pipe and that is saying something as I think I have the "MONTANE" syndrome when it comes to MSR.

Did you buy from HK / China or the UK? If not UK did you have to pay import duty?

Initiate
    Totally agree, msr have done it with the new upgraded whisperlite, I'm sure it's the XGK EX & Dragonfly are suited to gas with the heads, whereas the whisperlite burner lends itself very well to gas, i don't think it works great but the very fact it works and that's all I was after would be greedy to expect brilliant gas performance

I bot it from a lad who's punting them on eBay, I would recommend you get the kit I bot, he supply both gas adapters and the build is identical same msr legs and body so there will be no warping under heat. I know feel ripped off on the prices of the msr I've bot in the past

I might bulk buy some aerosols next time I'm in Go outdoors that way I won't care so much about poor gas performance

‹bermensch

LoL that is were I normaly buy my cannisters from when they have them on offer.

Do you have the guys Ebay name? I have not seen one that looks like the new XGK EX but have found a guy who sells the fuel pumps seperatly and another selling the bottles seperatly or are the bottles a std Sigg type drinks bottle thread or another make of fuel bottle or do you have to buy the specific ones for that pump?

Initiate
    Here you go, I'd email him thru eBay and offer him ??60 all in
    Ebay item no 110966260808

‹bermensch

Thanks will bookmark it for when I have the cash

‹bermensch