Thread: Backpackers Treasure Hunt

Backpackers Club Treasure Hunt - 14th to 16th September

Friday - Most folks reached the Tarn Foot (as in Loughrigg Tarn) campsite by car. I walked over the top of Loughrigg Fell from Ambleside in the afternoon, and I know a few others walked to the campsite too. I've been walking around Langdale for nearly 40 years and never visited that site! Anyway, it was a case of getting pitched, then heading for the Talbot Bar at the Skelwith Bridge Hotel.

Saturday - As this was my first Treasure Hunt, I decided that I wasn't going to be in it to win it, but would be happy to meander round the countryside looking for clues. I teamed up with Tony (gear reviewer for Backpack magazine) and Greg (new member). I can't say that the combined brain-power helped when it came to answering cryptic clues centred on 10 figure grid references, and we spent just as much time enjoying the waterfall at Colwith Force, tea and scones at High Park, and wandering round the quarries at Hodge Close. For the evening, the idea was to find a wild camp and bed down for the night, and it was a bit windy, with spots of rain, at that time. I knew of a quarry with a flat, grassy floor, but the reason it was flat was because the grass was growing on top of flat slates. Tent pegs had to go in horizontally!

Sunday - Packed up in fine drizzle and was soon walking in increasingly heavy rain. Only one thing for it, and that was to mop up low-level clues while making a bee-line back to Skelwith Bridge. Lots of participants ended up in the Talbot to drip dry before returning to the campsite to hand in their answers. We were also tasked with finding some 'treasure' to hand to the organiser. I found a £1 coin, but kept it for myself, and got some ribbing for that!

Here's a video showing the good, the bad and the sogginess of the event... and the reason it's on OutdoorsMagic is because I kept meeting Backpackers Club members who are also OM contributors...

Thanks for sharingt hat Paddy. Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves, despite the wet Sunday.

I seem to be having an above average run of wet weather walks this year!

Goon

Is the Tony you talk about "Tony Wilson"? 20 odd years ago I was a member of the backpackers club and went on many meets. One of my favourites was from the Plough at Hathersage to The Robin Hood Inn which took place late september time, which I did 3 times as well as others across the Peak District. If I remember correctlyhe designed his own tent. There was core group and one of them was a bit of a comedian who reminded me of my grandad.

And don't feel too bad about having a run of wet weather walks. When I lived in Cauterets in the Pyrenees, one of the local mountain guides always asked me when I planned on going into the mountains as he knew that twhen I was up there the weather would probably be bad and he would prepare to cancel clients.

Philip... no it wasn't Tony Wilson... it was Tony Whewell... if I've spelled that right. He's one of the club gear gurus. It has been ridiculously wet this summer though, and to rub it in, I was told recently that the weather in Iceland has been really good!