Thread: Not a happy bunny

After half a dozen physio visits at last some semblance of a diagnosis of the cause of my knee pain coming down mountains. Unfortunately it's this : Chondromalacia patellae, which basically doesn't seem to have a cure, along with some other problem of my meniscus being compressed. Not exactly sure what that means. Bottom line is it looks like I'm going to be taking ibuprofen to the hills from now on unless any of you lovely people have any suggestions (I use poles)!

Ultra King

Is this where you muscles 'pull' you kneecap inwards towards inside of joint?

If so you need to stretch that side, loads on line.

The other thing you need is to strenghen the Medius(?) muscle, that's the one on inside of knee.

Again loads of exercises on line, some I can recommend, (I've had to 'rehab' that muscle 3 times).

Half squats, half lunges, half static 'holds'. By "half" I mean, go to the legs parrell to floor position, rise up until you feel the muscle "change" to the Quad, (outer muscle). Drop down slightly, that's the "sweet spot". As far to go to strenghten that muscle. Half static holds are - Stand against a wall or the like, slide down to thighs parrell to floor and hold, working up to 90sec. when you can do that, raise up a bit and do the same. until you get to 'sweet spot'.When you can manage that try adding weight. Bottles of water in each hand, or a rucksack put on 'backwards', your front.

The inside muscle of most peeps leg is the one that causes most trouble. It can/does look the biggest of the leg muscles, but that doesn't mean it's the strongest. The Quads are, even if they look far smaller.The inside one is the one you need to strengthen as is the most used when walking up or down hill.

Oh, check with you Doctor and/or Physio before trying these exercises.

Unfortunately not muscular Husky.mits to do with softening cartilage!

That should say 'its' not 'mits'!

Ultra King

Craig, I too suffer from that, causing Arthritis in both knees.

I know when it is to painful/bad for me to walk I'll need "Total Knee Replacements"

According to my Physio, strengthing the muscles in the affected area/s can help.

As stabilises joint, curtailing the time before joint "gives up".

My not help you, it has helped me, I still need painkillers, (stronger than Brufen), but with out exercising the muscles of affected joints, I'd more than likely be 'house/ wheelchair' bound by now.

I'm also that 'bloody minded' I don't care if it causes extreme pain to do what I want to do. I'll soon not be able to. So have to do as much as I can before then.

Cheers Husky. I'll bear it in mind and give the exercises a go. All I've been told at the moment is to keep up the stretches. Not been given any specific strengthening exercises, so if there's a chance of it helping I'll do it!