Thread: Present suggestions

Mini Goon

OK, my 8 year old granddaughter has just completed CatBells, and as a reward, but also to encourage her in the future I need your suggestions for a gift.

First thoughts are a rucksack, but then no other thoughts....

help

I wouldn't go with a rucksack. It's difficult to get a good one that size, and if you do she'll grow out of it before you know what's going on.

I've promised my daughter (9) one of the wee Swiss Army Knives engraved with her name when she does her first Munro. It's a cool keepsake for now but in years to come (if not lost!) can be a genuinely useful bit of kit (we keep one in the 1st aid kit as the small blade, tweezers and scissors all come in handy). She seems quite excited about the idea!

Pete.

Either a map or a compass? Then you can start to teach her basic nav skills.

Aged 8, she's perhaps a bit young to appreciate Wainwright's books?

If she likes cuddly toys, I've seen fluffy Herdwick sheep in gift shops in Keswick.

Our wee cubs are encouraged to start a camp blanket on to which can be sewn a badge like this onefor each trip. Not universally popular, and the boys go for them more than girls in our troop. At least one girl takes hers to every camp though.

How about a hat/gloves/something warm for winter? Leads to planning winter trips.

The infant school I volunteer in has Baby Bear who gets taken away on holiday by the children. His scrapbook has some great pictures of places he has been - there is a framed photo of him at Machu Picchu on the wall. So perhaps a cuddly toy who likes to travel? Get an identicalspare though and alternate their trips. Sorry, as a grandparent you would know that already!

Widdler

That's a lovely idea and one I'm sure will encourage your grandaughter.

I'm for the rucksack idea. I got my kids rucksacks from Blacks when they were young. I wanted them to get used to carrying their own stuff from an early age in case anything happened and they at least would have their food and waterproofs with them. It was a hit with them because they had more choice of when they could eat their trail food but of course I always had extra if they scoffed their allowance to early in the walk.

My youngest daughter is now 14 and is still using a childs Dueter Climber bag I bought her a few years ago when I replaced the smaller kiddie ones. She's just extended the straps as she's grown. It's also takes a bladder which was another hit with her.

Voucher for walking shop..

Widdler

My 7 year old son has really taken to the outdoor life, next week will be his 5th and 6th mountain climbed this year.. I think getting some gear for the little ones is important as it makes them feel 'equipped' for the challenge and ready for the adventure. I dreaded my son saying he was bored and 'can we go back down now?' half way up! A compass would be a great gift and she could learn the basics of navigating. A cool head torch will bring out the intrepid explorer in her I'm sure.

Widdler

Another good idea that a friend of mine introduced was a climbing mascot (smallteddy bear) he gets his photo taken with my son on every summit climbed!

Our son was quite mercenary even when very young and had to be bribed with money. He did, however, appreciate the elaborate certificates I used to create for him using photographs, route plans etc. which he could show off at school and to relations. He is now a 20 plus metal head who is far too cool for hillwalking but I know he still has his certificates tucked away in a drawer.

Ultra King

How about some waterproofs, (if you don't allready have),?

The rucksack isnot a bad idea, get the right one and will double as a school bag.

I got a Regatta 15l LandTrek, off internet for a few quid. I use when I'm out walking dogs, put waterproofs, bottles of water, maybe some food into it.

Main pocket and front pocket, with lots of wee pockets inside for the likes of pens, mobile, etc.

I got my lad one of these packs:

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/rucks...ck-pd-1285.php

when he was about 8 or so to encourage him to climb with me. Loved it at the time, but as Peter says they grow out of em pretty quick.

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar

Haedtorch and compass are good shouts. I just bought my lad (7) a 2l Platypus hoser (so he doen't have to share mine) and he loves that!