Thread: Lake District in late October

Some mates of mine (yes, I do have a few) are proposing a group walk in the Lake District on Weds 31 October this year. I might join them.

I know mid-week is difficult for many people with getting time off work. But to make it worth the drive up from the Midlands I would probably go up the weekend before (or stay until the weekend after) and car-camp at Great Langdale.

Anyone free either of those weekends? Perhaps a mini-meet could be arranged?

Lerrus know ...

Possibly, will only know nearer the time.

Initiate

wud like too but will prob only be available for any mid week camps as i work shifts give me a shout nearer to time but if im off im happy to tag along you ok with dogs ?

That's college half-term week for me Skip, so in theory it's a possibility. I'd probably car-camp at Baysbrown Farm in Great Langdale ('cos it's cheap), but it's a few quids worth of petrol for me down here in Wiltshire, so I'll have to shake the piggy-bank a bit nearer the time before commiting.

Edit: Just noticed that the National Trust site only charges £8.50 at that time of year, so only a quid more than Baysbrown Farm, but much closer to the craggy bits.

‹bermensch
    Possibly. If I do, then coud lft share with Pete maybe. Save both of us some pennies from the piggy bank

im on the mend and only an hour away so fingers crossed i can make it.

If the mrs dont come i will probably nip up on my new scooter im going to buy soon so it would work out even cheaper for me ..

or

???

the second one ..slightly sooped up tho

Quote Originally Posted by peter dixon 2 View Post

...give me a shout nearer to time but if im off im happy to tag along you ok with dogs ?
    Yup. dogs very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by pete_rbg View Post

... the National Trust site only charges £8.50 at that time of year, so only a quid more than Baysbrown Farm, but much closer to the craggy bits.
    Yeah, Gt Langdale NT is my favourite site in the LD. It's a great base for Blea Rigg and beyond, the Langdale Pikes, Lingmoor, Pike O Blisco, Crinkles, Bowfell, Rosset Pass and beyond etc. It's got good facilities too and - best of all - it's in staggering distance of the ODG, NDG and Stickle Barn Tavern.
    Quote Originally Posted by * Didster * Im on Mars btw !!! View Post

im on the mend and only an hour away so fingers crossed i can make it.... i will probably nip up on my new scooter...
    Be good to see you Dids - even on a scooter

At the moment, my plan - such as it is - is to meet a group of mates at Seatoller on Wednesday 31 Oct to walk upRosthwaite then on to Glaramara - a shortish day walk. Obviously it aint worth me driving all the way from the midlands to the LD for just one walk so I'm going to extend the trip to a few days either before the Wednesday or after it.

To an extent, the exact dates depend on what work I have and also on the weather - I'll opt for whichever end of the week has the most promising forecast.

I will probably camp at Gt Langdale (with its drying rooms) but that's not set in stone. Nor will it dictate the routes I walk. I'd like to do hills that are new to me which rules out re-walking anything round the Langdale skyline, upper Eskdale, the Scafells, Gable,or anything reachable from Black Sail.

Just giving this a bump.

I'm still going to be in the LD for Weds 31 October and for a couple of days either before or after that date.

Widdler

will be there for a few days starting from the 31st, let me know what plans you have.

Widdler

sorry make that the 29th

Bump.

Widdler

Is it tent camping?

‹bermensch

Hopefully will be crawling round the Langdale, Scafell and possibly if the back and knee hold out Coniston area29th Nov upto the 6th of Dec. Convinced other half to let me go,and not sure if her willingness to get rid of me for the week is actually a good sign or not ?

Will be spending the first and last night hopefully on the NT site at Great Langdale and wild camping the other nights.

Looking at going straight up the Dungeon Ghyll route to Loft Crag and further on the route goingpast Foxes tarn onto Scafell, ifanyonehas anyinfo on these two sectionsI would be grateful.

Not really looking at this as a meet as I need to find out what my pace will be and how far I can manage each day but if anyone is up there around that time would be great to stop and say hi ( honest not looking for excusses for a break ). And as many others have said put faces to names.

Well guess what... it's nearly the end of October!

I'm probably going to be out and about in the Lake District somewhere in or around Great Langdale between the end of October and beginning of November. Some guys from Northern Ireland are coming over for a week, basing themselves in Ambleside, and I said I'd meet up with them at some point. So... I might bump into anyone else who's in the area at the same time.

Bump!

Any more thoughts / plans on this one Skip?

How was last week's trip to Yorkshire?

I'm definitely driving north from Wiltshire next week ‚?? at some point in time, to some place in t'hills. I've got friends on Angelsey (with a birthday this coming Sunday) but they might well have work commitments and / or other plans, so might do the 'sad old git' trip. But I'm also happy to drive further to the Lakes, if company's a possibility. That 'company' isn't limited to Skip's original post enquiry, but just a bit further for me and, consequently, a bit more petrol money.

I shall be travelling to Great Langdale NT campsite today and pitching there. I've got stuff to do tomorrow and Saturday but I'll probably stay on at Gt Langdale until Tuesday or Wednesday.

PM if you want my mobe number - but do it sharpish as I'll be away from the computer from mid-afternoon today (Thurs 25 October).