Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ????????

Id take blanket coverage of the olympics over Snooker any day Hate when BBC gets saturated with that "sport"... or darts for that matter.

It's a question of balance.

I too hate wall-to-wall snooker on'telly. But sauce for the goose... I love watching tennis on TV but it's unfair on the majority when the BBC broadcast nothing else throughout Wimbledon.

Quote Originally Posted by That bastard Skip View Post

If your thread wasn't meant to be inflammatory then I'm a banana...
    Can I put your Fyffes sticker on my forehead?

We was down in Hounslow visiting rellies when the mens time trial was on (got back yesterday). We hadn't planned to go, walked in and consequently didn't manage to get anywhere close but the collective atmosphere was still great. I believe it was close to a million people who turned out to line the streets and watch - granted it was free!
    Shame some of the unused tickets for the arena's can't be recycled quickly enough and given to folk who obviously want to turn up and support.

Winning the Rugby World Cup in 2003 had a massive impact on kids taking up and sticking with the sport - at least in our club. I hope the Olympics has a similar outcome.

My apologies Kate, i didn't realise you had no interest outside of your work place.

The Limp Picks are fabulous (once again thanks to the curmudgeons for all themoney and infrastructure. Much appreciated)

Was wotisname falling off his trike (a la Henry Gibson in Rowan and Martin's Laugh In but funnier) cheating...sorry...being sportingto get a restart?

huzzah to the doubles pedalo getting gold & silver on the canal and the boating lake efforts.

been some cracking boxing on. and swimmimg. and rowing. and kayak/canoeing. and cycling. and shooting. and...

all stuff you never see on telly otherwise and i guess that when you add all these "minority" sports together it's not such a minority

all in all it's been wonderful so far.

transport will have a lot to live up to as it all seems to working in a tickety boo fashion - most unusual.

they reckon aminorty of 200,000 will turn up at stratford today alone and of course the viewing figures support the minority interest.

london has a great feel about it at the moment despite the ungrateful whinging and whining at the sudden and complete surprise of the olympics affecting where people go. if 200,000 are at stratford alone then they're not spending their money in covent garden or the west end - perhaps to escape the wtf beach volleyball.

i'malong to covent garden later for a mosey about which is even more encouraging if it isn't going to be as rammed as it usually is.

seeing the number of families venturing out together to go and see some sport or soak up some atmosphere is quite heartwarming.

if anyone is inspired to personal dedication to acheive excellence at anything beacuse if the coverage then all power to them.

don't forget you can experience it all again at the galsgow commonwealth games (unless the petitions to prevent this waste of money are succesful)

roll on the Para Limp Picks too. looking forward to that.

Initiate

Just seen a headline in one of our local papers. The council is selling off land designated for sports use for half a million pounds to fill a hole in their budget. This is the sort of the thing the government should be spending the Olympic billions on.

i agree. they knew all about that 8 years ago.

Im against it on the grounds that its Billions wasted on a 3 week holiday for a select few and nobody else,other than those who choose to go and pay and watch from high up seats that cost the earth and look past the empty one that should have been filled by people who got free tickets and didn't turn up or flogged them on the Black market for a mark up....Mmmm quality....

Again something for the rich and southerners to use when its all over....

Then theirs the scoring,anything that can be timed cant be bias but anything that can be given a score like Gymnastics can be...everyone hates the British and they show that in the scoring!!!

Go womens Volley ball

i have entirely changed my mind about the olympics this week.

previously i was concerned about it being an exploitative corporate distraction, abusing sport and the good will of the people to make loads of money for a small number of trans national capitalists

after seeing its impact on london however i am a lot happier.

5 minutes walk away from any of the events takes you into deserted streets. It's reduced my travelling time by 50 %. The streets are calm, the usual frenetic pace disippated. Can we have the olympics permanently please.

* Didster * wrote (see)

everyone hates the British and they show that in the scoring!!! [/QUOTE]

What a load of shite. Why do you think everyone hates you? I hear this all the time! Most other nations don't spend any more time thinking about Britain than they do about any other country. There is no global consiracy to hate Britain.

lol Weevil...

Sadly however we have another cyclists death, the third this year in the are surrounding the olympic site at stratford. This time with the grandest of irony by an Olympic bus.

here

Very sad. From what I gather he was undertaking the bus at a red light and then the light turned green when he was in the drivers blind spot. The bus turned, bike wanted to go straight...

http://news.sky.com/story/967839/cyc...incident-named

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...media-bus.html

Ibelieve he was a 28 year old regular cyclist.

Ithink it'd be wise to refrain from speculating about the cause of the tragic accident until it's been investigated.

the whole traffic management reorganisation in the area has been conducted with little or no regard for cyclists or pedestrians safety.

existing safe routes such as the towpath and greenway have been blocked.

New road layouts, such as the Bow Flyoverhave been built such as the without using it as an opportunity to accomodate safe cycling.

The Mayor of Newham Robin Wales himself obstructed the continutaion of TfL cycle superhighwayinto Newham.

Cycling in London is increasing but traffic planners are not taking it into account.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneHuggingHippy View Post

My apologies Kate, i didn't realise you had no interest outside of your work place.
    I very rarely get annoyed on OM, but I'm making an exception in this case. Don't be such a dick. You dismiss my profession, what I've spent my life working on from the age of about 15, as something you think I'm 'in to', that's a niche 'pastime'. It's not a fucking pastime for me, it's my life.

Olympic spirit, right there ^

I've adopted an "if you can't beat them, join them" approach. The London Olympics are here so we provincials may as well get as much enjoyment out of them as we can cos we'll never benefit from them in any other way shape or form.

An excellent grasp on Anglo-Saxon profanity too i see.

I think this thread turned out a little different from what Rocky originally intended...