Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ????????

Loving the Olympics and the Herculeaneffort being put into winning medals by the Great British team and noisy supporters!

It's a bit tragic that people can't look beyond their nose, but the response to the GB medals tally from the hundreds of school kids round our way has been fantastic!

I read one small fact that got me - "Chad le Clos was 12 when he saw his hero, Michael Phelps in Athens. 8 years later, Chad beat Phelps."

Tell a 12-year-old to dream!

I'm lovin' it too, delighted for a fellow Durotrigan winning a gold in shooting

Just catching up on tonight's highlights now. Going to the footie on Saturday; had tried multiple times to get tickets for last night's GB match at the Millennium, had several fits of rage at the Olympic ticket website, ended up getting tickets for Saturday evening's game instead, and now it is GB in their 1/4 final match. All's well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

It's a bit tragic that people can't look beyond their nose,
    Not everyone gives a flying mate, personally i don't watch tv so have no idea what's going on at the olympics, only sport i keep up with is football.

I don't think it's a case of people being blinkered at all, just that the majority couldn't care less, which those that are into watching such things seem to forget.

Is that the mens or ladies footie Kate - the Girls are on fire!

Twigs - it may have become bizzarely fasionable amoungst the snotty nosed to 'dis' the Olympics, but you are easily in the minority in not caring or giving two figs! There is a massive upswell of normal people watching and into this games!

Though TBH I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks... Go Team GB!!!

Seeing the title i wasn't going to reply, till i saw the comment of yours i quoted above.

Some people really don't give a crap, that doesn't make them short sighted, in fact your remark is a little offensive if i'm honest. Myself and Kate are "into" ancient history, It's a niche pastime and i'td be incredibly arrogant to expect the masses to give a toss about it.

I don' know why you think that people who don't share your enthusiasm for a 3-week school sports day are 'snotty nosed'. Not everyone likes watching other people play games. This is an outdoor site where we tend to talk about actually doing stuff ourselves rather than watching others do them.

If you're that desperate for a circle jerk, there are loads of other forums for olympic fanboys.

Snotty nosed and can't see beyond it.

Jeez - I didn't mean to start an argument.

I'm into lots of niche things, I have books on ancient history, geology, photography, cookery, mathematics, philosophy, religion, business, banking, music, marketing, gardening, windsurfing, natural history, fishing, contemporary design, programming, languages, art etc...

Seeing as the Olympics are on and there have been other sporting threads on this website, I thought I'd start a thread for folk who wanted to celebrate our achievements.

If your personally not bothered then fine... as the thread says!

Fair do's, but if you're going to fling insults at those of us who see it for what it truly is then you've gotta expect replies to the contrary, no. ?

Think i'll leave you to your love fest on that note.

Well... erm.

I'm with you Rocky...in the non-biblical sense.

Excellent stuff

The commentary on many events though....oooof

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar

And me too. Commentators are a bit erggh though! And the medal ceremonies; can't hear the stadium announcers like we used to or is that me?

Not intending to provoke an argument? Pull the other one Rocky! If your thread wasn't meant to be inflammatory then I'm a banana (or you are a tad naive).

I appreciate that there are many people who enjoy watching sport. But equally, there are a lot of people who either don't take any interest in the Limpix or positively object to the cost, the hype, the corporate stranglehold and the blanket coverage.

Your assertion that it is only a minority who who haven't been drawn into the love camp is nonsense - FWIW, no-one in my own circle of family and friends gives a fuck and quite a few are resolutely anti. And they are not the leftwing intellectual metropolitan elite - far from it.

Obviously the media coverage concentrates on sports fanboys, not on the vast swathe of people getting on with their day-to-day lives largely oblivious to the medal-chasing and jingoistic ra ra of it all. That majority may be a silent one but it's a majority nonetheless. London, as I observed in 'Bennachie' this week, is virtually deserted this week. What does that tell you?

Anyway, I've already posted my view about shadowy cabals and multinationals ganging up with governments to distract the public with bread and circuses. Bah. Humbug.

Initiate

Great atmosphere watching the cycle race and time trial,big niche herabouts an estimated 1 million people watched the cyclingroad race.

i don't watch tv so have no idea what's going on at the olympics, only sport i keep up with is football.

There's football at the Olympics. GB actually doing pretty well so far!

I like tennis and Murray is through to the semi-final. Still doesn't mean I am pro-Limpix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian (world cup winners 2003) View Post

an estimated 1 million people watched the cyclingroad race
    In a country of 60 million that is hardly a majority is it?

The TV coverage is a breath of fresh air compared to the normal televisual feast of petulant overpaid tossers rolling around on a pitch feigning injury

Really enjoying the olympics too! Just a pity I have to work so I can't watch most of it Did take some time last night to watch a bit of everything: gymnastics, badminton, hand ball, fencing. Lovin' it... though I do prefer the winter version

I watched a bit of women's football the other day and it was really good! And I don't normally like football. Way more exciting than any of the men's variety I have ever watched!

Rocky, I'm going to the men's footie tomorrow, going with a friend's 7 & 8 year old sons who were really not keen to go to women's footie, but I hope watching them on tv might have made them seen the errors of their way by now!

I do not intend to join in the argument about the Olympics; however, I do object to being described by StoneHuggingHippy (is that Twiglegs?) as being 'into ancient history', 'a niche pastime'. It may be to you, but that's like saying a doctor is 'into medicine' or Bradley Wiggins is 'into cycling'. It's not a 'pastime' to me, it's my profession.

Initiate

I am in two minds about the whole thing. I enjoy watching the cycling and the rowing, as my son is a keen rower and might possibly be in a future olympics. However, in general I would much rather that people were out actually doing sport, rather than watching it. Past eveidence suggests that there is no lasting increase in participation in sports from hosting an Olympics.

The bits I really don't like are the continuous blanket coverage and the vast amount of money which only benefits a very few people.