Thread: Fish in pouches ?

Up to last year I could buy tuna steaks and salmon in plastic pouches, instead of in tins. Great for carrying on trips. It's no longer on the shelves in our local (not very good) Tesco. I've checked other shops and online and cannot find anything.

There was a product called "chicken of the sea" (-salmon to you and me!!) that was around several years ago, but that is an American brand and seems not to be sold over here now. However Tesco was stocking another British product -what was that called?? - I cannot remember.

Any help appreciated. Thanks Cathy.

I miss the dried haddock that I carried constantly through the last two summers in Iceland. Full of protein... boneless... exceptionally lightweight... nice and tasty... and fine whether you chewed it straight from the bag, or crumbled it into whatever you were cooking. At first I was put off by how much it cost, but then I figured that 100g of the stuff was probably equivalent to about half a kilo of 'wet' fish!

(Not to be confused with cured shark, which smells like stale urine!)

‹bermensch

I got some made by John West - with different flavours about 4 months ago either at a large Sainsburys or Morrisons.

I think Milly uses it as well

About 3 months since i've been to the huge Asda nearby, they had fish pouches on the shelves back then.

Goon

There's still the old standby of boil in the bag kipper fillets in my local Asda. With some rice, curry powder, and a hard boiled egg makes a Kedgeree.

‹bermensch

Look out for hot smoked salmon or smoked mackerel, both usually available vacuum packed in Waitrose. Really good with oatcakes (and superb nutrition)

Or you could order some great Scottish smoked fish from the Achiltibuie Smokehouse:

http://www.summerislesfoods.com/

Also John West have Tuna fillets in sachets:

http://www.john-west.co.uk/products/seared-fillets

(can't seem to embed the links, dunno why)

Thanks Everyone.

AloveSupreme, The John West stuff is what I'm after, - now to find a supplier. Locally I've only got a poor Tesco, a small Morrissons and Lidl. I'll have to wait until I'm in the big city.

I've visited the Summer Isles Smokehouse - great product, but a bit expensive for regular camp trips as I've 4 mouths to feed, I save them for occasional treats!

Cathy.

A few days ago I managed to get hold of dozens of tiny little tins of anchovies. VERY tasty things... anchovies... and these ones are packed in olive oil... which is good stuff in its own right. I checked the supermarket price and they're 75p per tin. I got mine for 17p per tin. For that I get 30g of anchovies, 20g of olive oil, and an empty tin weighing 12g. In short, no big deal to pack, a and a tasty addition to any savoury dish.

How come they were so cheap? My guess is that some supermarket shelf-stacker dropped a box of these cans and maybe one of them split open, so the whole box was discarded, to be snapped up by a discount store. The price had already been slashed to less than 50%, and as I took the lot of their hands, they slashed it by another 50%. The 'best before' date is May 2013, but I'll have scoffed the lot long before that!

Lidl do nice smoked trout fillets but I think they need to be refrigerated. Should be fine this summer then

My local Tesco had packets of Tesco Finest Wild Smoked Red Salmon on their reduced shelf back in March I think.

What surprised me was it was on the bashed tin reduced shelf, not the manky salad fridge one, and the best before date is November 2016. Never seen vacuum packed fish with that kind of shelf life. I bought the lot. Nowhere near as tasty as fresher hot smoked salmon I've had, but went nice with pesto.

Haven't seen it since, unfortunately.