Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pravda/BBC

Spot on Jon! Lots of complaints about the olympics and waste of money and financial crisis and blah blah blah. Im pretty sure the whole bid and plans for the olympics happened before shit hit the fan. Besides lots of people are clearly enjoying it and it is good to see people having something positive to enjoy during a time when everything is bad. As jon said, lots of really talented sports folk will be competing here I think that is awesome! We should enjoy that, who cares if it is sponsored by McDonalds and if they are a restaurant. I'd rather be eating a burger during the games than drinking a cucumber smoothie and chewing on a carrot stick!

Now limiting people's drink and trying to stop people watching the sailing without paying I agree that is absolutely wrong! There is a clear greed part to the sponsor ship of the games and it is a real pity that it gets lost in that. But we live in a capitalist world and if we think that anything happens for the good of anyone we are mistaken. Things only happen if someone makes a fat £ on it!

Now, I wish Cameron would shut up about it being the UK games, when it is the London Olympics. The guy's a twat!

I think TheDailyMash must've been listening to James Naughtie on the Today Programme this morning....

Everything just so exciting

there are always the excellent Proms to watch instead of the olympics.

remember that the day after the suceesful olympic bid (now then was that 7 months ago or 7 YEARS ago - timescales get so confusing when a rant is needed) that four bombs went off in london - three on packed underground trains and the fourth, fortunately, metaphorically,on a bus instead of on a packed deep tunnel undergound train. It was only the Northern Line running to it's "not quite a good service" at the time that stopped it. 52 dead and over 750 injured.

London and the games means diferrent things to different people.

A complete waste of cash, even worse, cash that should have gone to good causes, for a huge vany project on a sickening scale. Just think of the sports facilities which could have been built around the country for the benefit of all.

They don't even keep to the origional spirt of the modern olympics where it was. Amateur status and sportsman ship ruled , that's gone out now with many professional athletes earning she'd loads of cash and amateurs forced out.

Anyone remember Eddie the eagle, seen by us lesser mortals as the embodiment of the Olympic ideal, but seen as an embarrassment by officialdom who then changed the rules so it couldnt happen again

Total con job ,waste of cash and feeding the Olympic rip off merchants that's the IOC

Still the opening ceremony fully met my expectations.

Pure comedy gold

That NHS bit must have a few of those ghastly dismantlers in the media and governement squirming a fair bit...No surprise Jeremy Hunt wanted it cut out. Well done Boyle!

How about the additional 50bn quid that has gone to good causes. The games cost is peanuts.

‹bermensch

Pink Floyd stageshow meets It's a Knockout meets Eurovision with 21st century polish. They did us proud I reckon.

Regular cynicism will be resumed shortly.

Feckin french waving our flag upside down. Bastards!

Initiate

Off to watch the cycling this morning as its a short stroll from my house.Thanks to the olympics my pot hooled school run is now on mirror smooth tarmac,really you could play billiards on the roads round here.

Thought that was a cracking openning ceremony. Really enjoyed it. Well done to Danny Boy. Im going to enjoy the next weeks for quality sport on TV.

If there was an olympic discipline of winging then Britain would surely win all 3 medals!

never let facts get in the way of a whinge though. and diplomacy in action in the reply.

from The Washington Post (foreign coverage is often so much better than the domestic rabid meeja)

"Not everyone, however, was happy to see Djibo Issaka at the Olympics. Steve Redgrave, a five-time Olympic rowing gold medalist and one of Britain's greatest Olympians, was among the party-poopers.

‚??There are better scullers from different countries who are not allowed to compete because of the different countries you've got,‚?Ě he was quoted as saying Saturday.

Said Matt Smith, general secretary of rowing's governing body: ‚??It's a fair comment if you don't have the background to how these rowers get those positions and how big it is for a country to be at Olympic Games.‚?Ě

Smith said he wrote to Redgrave on Sunday, explaining the IOC program. Djibo Issaka hadn't actually taken the place of another sculler ‚?? he was simply added to the list of starters."

it's all been great spectacle so far (except for the wtf! becah volleyball) and some cracking competition.

getting to work was remarkably easy today too. i wonder if going home will be as user friendly.