Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canal Kayaking

I may hold you to that @Morton lol. Just have to see tomorrow when I take them down to the canal to do some submerging and testing. Then with any hope, next Saturday I can do this 2 and a half hour lesson to get to grips with the idea in their kayaks, though I've been told that where the lesson takes place, there are HUGE Pike :^S

Thank you everyone :^D I will keep you updated with pictures too

Well, todays testing went fairlygood . No leaks atleast. I was absolutely terrified when i actually got into the Kayak on the water but once i had started moving i seemed to get some confidence. My house mates where loving it, speeding off and leaving me behind.

The only issues i had was steering lol and i couldn't get out of the Kayak because my knees had locked and absolutely killed when i managed to get out. Ive been told i shouldn't actually be sat with my legs completely straight and maybe need the foot stand moving back.

Other than that, i think with some practice and days out on them, i can get the hang of this and get my moneys worth . Here's some pics taken by one of my housemates who likes playing with cameras.

Haha, love this thread.

It's great when you get a new toy isn't it.

Oh yes Mr twiglegs, oh yes

Wow, this takes me back Snipes were the first canoes my old scout group had before moving to plastic boats.

Right leg position....should be locked up under the cockpit rim not straight out in front of you, foot rest should allow you to push against it with the foot on the stroke side pushing your thigh/knee area up into the cockpit rim. this will help you steer.

errr don't think I'd teach a pawlata as a first choice of roll anymore, even in a boat like the Snipe. But I'd steer clear of any clever ideas like this and focus on nailing forward and reverse sweep strokes first and foremost they are the base strokes to master to effectively control your boat.

Best of luck!

ps. in old fibreclass boats always go with full leg cover...unless your a big fan of rashes!

I know sweet eff all about kayaking (only done it a handful of times) so I can't offer any practical advice on the boats or techniques.

However, I lived on the canals (in a boat, you understand) for years. I should imagine it's about as safe an environment for kayaking as one could wish for. Many of the rural stretches of canal pass through remote and attractive countryside while in towns and cities the canals stretch a green 'finger' into the built-up area and often pass fascinating industrial archaeology.

I really hope you have some great times in your bargain boats - enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by twiglegs View Post

Haha, love this thread.
    Me too

Ohhhh one more thing....I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but stay well away from Locks always carry around them! I'd say never go near weirs but that would be pretty hypocritical...so find someone who is familiar with the local features (local canoe club should advise).

Thanks Chris. And i have no intention of river riding . My housemate wants otherwise though, he's a bit of an adrenaline junky. Me on the other hand am quite happy just paddling along the canals. I've seen Locks on YouTube and i can say i'd not want to be in my kayak at the time of opening/closing. And Weirs, well, erm, no thanks lol.

I'm just purchasing some red marine paint and gel coatfor the comanche since thats the one that needs most work. I'll try to post pictures of the process if i can. I'm going to have to make or improvise some type of bench or stand to do it though.

I had my first lesson on Saturday with a coach called Chris. I was in a Pirhana. It was good fun and very informative. I think I can manage a bit of control of my beasts. However, he commented that my babies where a bit dated and fibreglass went out of fashion before he even started kayaking. I was also a bit offended. Yes my kayaks are old, as I like to refer to them as Vintage and yes I did enjoy the little modern rec Pirhana and all it's mods cons. But we're working on them, to a point where my friend has made a skeg for the nemesis. Can't wait to get back on the water though :^D

Hit a bit of a snag unfortunately. In order for me to sit comfortably in my Kayaks, I need to sit with my legs out front. If I sit as you're supposed to, my thighs are just too big up near the shallow opening. It really hurts. The only thing I can think of to make it more tolerable would be to loose some weight as I don't think the kayak can be altered to accommodate me without some major fibreglass surgery. So, if any of you have any ideas without me having to cut off my legs, I'd much appreciate it. Chris Tuck? You've had experience with the Snipes, do I have to be stick thin or are there ways around this issue? Cheers

I've seen some pretty big chaps in Snipes so I can't imagine it being an issue.....can you post a photo of you sitting in the boat with you trying to get your legs into the correct position?

How I would describe the position is: start with legs straight; then spread your knees a bit while slightly bending them. Continue until something hits something

Depending on the shape of you and the boat it may be more about turning the legs/feet out a bit (keep the heels together while turning the toes out - see how that changes the position of your thighs and knees.

The main advantage is that now you have more points of contact between you and the boat which helps to control it. The foot rest should enable you to use your legs in the stroke, while the thighs or knees should help with balancing the boat.

Saying this, I did choose my kayaks (wildwater and sea) specifically to fit my shape - some just worked better for me than others.

Roos

Hi, guys.

We went out on them again yesterday. This time i was in the Comanche (red one) with a camping mat altered to fit the seat and make my derriere more comfortable I seem to fit into the Comanche far better with less discomfort. The only discomfort i had was after paddling for an hour, my right knee started giving me some jip. That and one hell of a bruise on my shin from getting in and out of the kayak. Other than that i think with practice, shin guards and glucosamine tablets i should be able to get used to these in no time and possibly think of doing a trek one weekend. I also found that my balance in the Comanche was 10 x better due to the fact i had a better leg position. But i did manage to get myself wedged between a wall and a half submerged branch when the wake of a narrow boat pushed me on top of the branch. We where also testing my friends make shift skeg that he had attached to the back of the nemesis to help keep him in straighter lines. He claims it was amazing and is on about adding a skeg to all the kayaks, wish him luck, he's been reading these posts too. Next, registering for The British Canoe Union Membership so i can have a waterways licnese. I put up some more pictures shortly.

Thanks again guys

Keep it coming, we are still here.

+1 interested party here too, those canoes look a lot like the ones we used at school back in the day over on derwent water (some 25 years back) .

Seems you got a great little bargain there, I would love to get back into it myself though I have been looking at the sevylor inflatable type just for a pooter about on the lakes.

keep the updates coming.

.........I can officially say i'm hooked. Ive won another Kayak off eBay for £1.20. It is a bit of a wreck and has been described as having holes, but i figure that it could be my practice/donor kayak in fixing it up before i sell it on, if i sell it on as it might be just too damaged for a novice like me to repair. It appears to be another Nomad painted blue but looking at the pictures it also doesn't appear to have a seat. That and i've also went and got a plastic Pyranha Rotobat too. I need stopping before i buy a fleet . I just can't wait to get back out on the water. I'm completely addicted. I had so much fun out on the Comanche just paddling along. I've also applied for my Canoe Union membership and licence, it should be in the post any day now.

What have i gotten myself into

What have i gotten myself into

Another great way to swap time and money for fun! You might want to branch out in to canoeing with an open boat at some point: quite a bit more comfortable, easier to shift picnics etc. about but slower, less manoeuvrable and harder to do from a skills and technique standpoint, at least if you're solo.

Pete.

With all the initiative you are displaying re. the canoes, somebody could be making good use of you as an 'empoyee' BUT then you wouldn't have time for the canoes!!

I really amire your attitude and spirit. Good luck, have a great time and I shall keep on enjoying reading your thread.

@Pete, I did some open top canoeing in Hexham back in 2003 as part of a team building exercise. It was a 3 person Canoe and obviously we had to coordinate oar strokes to keep in a straight line. I enjoyed that too. It may possibly be an option later down the line once I've got more confidence on the water. One of my priorities atm is patching the Comanche, and sorting out some spray decks as I seem very adept at soaking my legs with splashes lol. That and when i get this blue nomad, I maybe looking at making a mould to create a seat for it, using a seat from one of the others as a cast.

Thank you cathyjc sometimes my enthusiasm runs away with me though lol my bank balance can vouch for that.