Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Phones

Widdler
    Hi there. I am in the forces and also pretty active outdoors. So far my balckberry suits reasonably out on dartmoor and on the water but obviously have to be careful.

I was just wondering if anyone here has experience of the tough phones i.e. JCB or the Samsung Glaxy Xcover. I just want to go out with a bit of reassurance that I have a means of communication that wont die when it gets wet.

many thanks.

Matt

I've got a Samsung Solid Extreme. It's a basic, no-frills, phone, but so far has taken a proper beating and carried on working just fine. A friend of mine who's a mountain bike skills instructor has the same phone and swears by it. Decent battery life, makes and receives phone calls, not insanely expensive.

I've not used anything else similar, but it seems to do what it claims and means my iPhone is safe and dry at home.

Your other option, obviously, is some sort of of toughened/waterproof case.

Widdler
    Thanks Jon. Thats great information. I'll bear it in mind. I didn't think of actually having the two phones.

"Outdoor-friendly Features

- Extremely loud external speakers" (Samsung site)

Thought I'd have a look at this phone - my present one being a bit delicate.

Intrigued by the outdoor friendly features. Depends if that 'outdoors' is city street or fell side I suppose!

You could try the mororola defy plus if you want a smart phone. It's claimed to be both waterproof and shock proof, although I haven't been able to try this out as I can't find a network offering it on contract (can get sim free for around £220). There is a more expensive JCB version.

May be lacking in battery life.

Mini Goon
    If you go to a supermarket like Tescos or whatever, they sometimes have just like really cheap phones...I mean they're not especially tough or anything but won't cost the earth if you lose it

Ed

Initiate
    I have the motorola defy (precursor to the plus) and have been really impressed. Would say it's even baby proof (new teeth, drool etc!)

Also been fine on the hill- still useable after being in my non waterproof pockets.

Would agree that battery life could be better, but I think that's true of all smartphones.

I put my iphone safely in an "otterbox" http://www.otterbox.com/, weighs as much as the phone itself but gives good protection (hard plastic case + rubber around)

Ultra King
    I have the Samsung Soild Extreme. It has a camera and internet access. There is a torch and an SOS number facility, too. It's a great little phone, tough as old boots and waterproof. It's the only phone I carry now.

Widdler

My mum got a samsung b2710 which i think is the new verision of the solid extreem, got her that as shes pretty good at breaking her phones. So far it has servived theyear and seems really good little phone, has a few basic feature built in like internet, camera, facebook and that sort of stuff (not that youl use it n the hills) but also has a handy tourch. It did get a crack in the screen but that was from our dog biting it so nice bit of strong pressure on small surface area so to be expected, and one of the socket hole covers has become a little tougher to put back into place at times. i would recomed one as a tough phone and she got it free on a cheap contract.

I personally use an old cheap samsung phone worth a few quid that if it breaks or gets lost is no great problem leaving my htc at home safe n sound.

http://backpackbrewer.wordpress.com/...nitial-review/

I have been using the Samsung C3350 Solid X cover for 6 months now. See the above link for my review of it. Its the upgrade for the B2710 which is also a good outdoors phone.

I got mine for around £60 so I thought it was good value.

Widdler
    i had a sonim until last week but after 2 3/4 years i almost got a new one but buckled at the last mo and got a rugged android which is made at same factory as jcb pro smart and same except it is a dual sim. my previous phone was just a phone and had 2 month standby time, new one is a few days! using gps is more like half a day. i am going to make a version of a back up powersupply which is on the net under mintyboost. using a solar unit is too hopeful in uk and it will be fraction of a power monkey. have a look on thephonetrader website, thats who i got mine from. good luck.

I used a Defy for about 14 months but the touch screen packed up, shame as its a nice phone.

Initiate
    I've got a Nokia XpressRadio (£10, with a humongous battery life, and it's very light. I pop it in a XS Exped bag with my wallet - job done.

Ultra King

Nice initial review of your C3350 Solid X, Dave, but perhaps taking photos with it behind Sgwd Yr Eira would be a good test.

exactly Mal! This phone has already ended up in the bath twice and works perfectly so has passed the "phone-killer" test

‹bermensch
    Another vote for the Samsung Soild Extreme. Another big plus of this phone is the extreme long battery life.

Goon
    My 10 quid Nokia has survivied several washes at filthy jeans temperatures. At least once it went through a tumble as well and came out still on. It regularly get wet enough to fill the battery area up. Sit on the radiator and its fine.

Widdler

I use a samsung solid extreme, and used it older brother prior to this, have done for years. It's been dropped in water, off scaffolds, from ladders, out of my pocket while on my bike at a speeds far in excess of your normal motorway speed, it bounces, I actualy call it my bouncy phone.

Has plenty of useful features & good battery life, for those who love the outdoors and is a pretty good phone too. An iphone it is not, but if you want a phone that lives your life with you, this is the one. The only missgiving is it could do with GPS.