Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Month Long Adventure

Spain. I love Spain and the Picos de Europa/Asturias/Cantabria, especially. Lots great walking and excellent beaches. There is one 'little' railway winds it's way across the north coast of Spain.

Just one fly in the ointment. Wild camping !! The people are very friendly but some (particularly big landowners) guard their landholding very jealously. If you see a notice saying ' Casa privado' + barbed wire in excess -don't go there. There are a lot of 'wild' looking areas specifically used for hunting and trespassing could get you shot at. Wild camping as we know it in UK is just not recognised the same way in Spain.

Wow £44 excluding the £15 to get to the airport...and the 5 hours to get to rome vs 20 hours of interesting things to,look at and people to talk to in a relaxed, hassle free environment. My kind of travel.

Yes, airports are a poor substitute for chatting to locals and other travellers while the scenery passes by the window.

>excluding the £15 to get to the airport
    Admit it....they saw you coming didn't they! well when I flew to Rome the fare on the bus into the city was 6 Euros

>20 hours of interesting things to,look at and people to talk to in a relaxed, hassle free >environment.
    I don't disagree with you but I think you are over romanticising it just a tad.

Erm...the airport this end bedders...thanks for adding another £5 to your £30 though.

So now we're up to £64...

I have good curiosity and an attention span so no romantics required

Quote Originally Posted by Parky Again View Post
    You meet lots of interesting people on trains...
    Yes, like the hairy Israeli surgeon who was the only other occupant of the couchette on the overnight from Paris to Koln, and who got a bit amorous

And the two (female) American students I shared a couchette with on the overnight from Milan to Marseilles. Not sure any of us got any sleep but we had a great laugh.

When I was going on excavation in Italy I travelled there by train several times, car and eventually by plane. Train was by far the most fun. When you're in your early 20s, 24 hours on a train isn't wearing, your body doesn't really feel it, though it's less good if you end up sleeping on the luggage rack above the seats, which one of the lads did, and it's exciting. Leaving Paris late at night, smelling the brakes as the train came down through some Alpine pass, and waking up to watch your long train snaking through the Italian Alps, watching the countryside gradually change from Alpine to Mediterranean. Those train journies in my early 20s are amongst the most interesting and exciting travelling I've done. Ok, I wouldn't really want to spend 24 hours on a train now, but then I would't have missed it for the world.

Sounds absolutely wonderful Kate.

Which bit... the hairy surgeon?

Widdler
    Thanks all once again, alot of places I'll look into and do a bit of research. I can work towards making a route now.

Kate, that sounds really fantastic. I just hope I can avoid Hairy Surgeons. A non hairy nurse I could live with tho. Italy is one of my big destinations, so thanks for the advice.

Explorer, Thanks for the advice and I'll check those spots out. Granada seems to be a definite.

Paddy, thanks for even more advice. It is really appreciated. I was told to visit the black forest once before so it is now something I will really look into. Morocco may be slightly a bit out of the way, but who knows. I shall keep all of your suggestions in mind as I plan a route.

Spiritburner, Thanks for the input. Appreciated. Im spending a week in Rome once the months train ticket has run out, so I will be sure to see all of the above.

Cathyjc, Thanks for the further advice on spain. I shall look into them further. The tip on wild camping I will heed well, last thing I want is a shotgun wake up.

Parky Again, Thanks. Just thanks.

And finally.

Bedouin, As for the 7days a week, im doing 5days a week at an unpaid apprenticeship and evenings and weekends to make money to live. I do appreciate that you keep coming back with your advice/opinion. And I recognise that you are trying to help me with how you see it. But maybe if you got down off that high horse of yours and talk to people at a decent tone then we could all take it a tad easier. I came on here thinking I'd be a tad young, hadnt expected to be dealing with children.

Widdler
    wish at times i could work that amount i could get loads of money, where i work its 7 days on then one off, or 14 days on 2 off europeon law, so we have been told a right b stuard in harvest, and we hand to opt out of 48hr working as well

Train travel...mmmm. Had some good time on the overnighters from Gva to Amsterdam, Budapest, Copenhagen and Venice. Nothing nicer than a short lived romance when you are a dreamy young man (and a good smoke...) who meets a dreamy young girl...Won't forget my journey to Budapest in a hurry...

Owd bedders at it again eh, shame money can't buy you a personality.

Ignore him Mark, he's the forum twat.

whatever

I did a 10 hour bus journey yesterday; first eight hours were OK, the last two less so when the old lady across the aisle started vomiting into a bucket. I have another marathon tomorrow - no worries, just make sure the MP3 player is fully charged and stacked up with 6Music Marc Riley downloads courtesy of Radio Downloader.

Decide where you most want to go i.e. the French Alps or the Italian Dolomites. Buy a return ticket to said fave place. Do as much "wild camping and hill walking" in your chosen place as you want for the month then return home. Simples!!!!!

Reasonable advice, in fact, it's just a pityit was phrased this way. Andonly a cunt uses the phrase 'simples'. The truth is, long bus and train journeys do get stale. Long journeys, cities and 'fave' walks could be seen as mutually exclusive criteria (unlike expensive tickets and cheap accommodation). Maybe it's an age thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    Train travel...mmmm. Had some good time on the overnighters from Gva to Amsterdam, Budapest, Copenhagen and Venice. Nothing nicer than a short lived romance when you are a dreamy young man (and a good smoke...) who meets a dreamy young girl...Won't forget my journey to Budapest in a hurry...
    Gawd... sounds like the storyline from "Before Sunrise"... starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy!

When you've spent 20 hours sitting on a boiling/freezing train with a screaming child(ren), or people shouting into mobiles, eating stinky food or one of 100 other anti-social things the reality of modern train* travel quickly loses it appeal doubly especially when your taking train trip after train trip.

You end up at your destination feeling tired in need of a good sleep/wash and recuperation. thing is most people want to get there monies worth from the the ticket so plough on. Instead of being able to fully enjoy and experience the places that there visiting they don't.

Train travel is by far my preferred choice of travel having toured many countries exclusively by train European, China, Canada, Japan, India etc. Whether or not people like what I'm saying or how I'm saying it the fact is I've done it. I'm not forcing anyone to take my advice.... take it or leave it.

In the past people have offered me advice some times I've taken it sometimes I haven't so as I said..... whatever.

* I spent 3 days on The Canadian in "Silver and Blue" and I can tell you looking out of the windows and talking to your fellow passengers is ok for only so long.

‹bermensch

Never having had more than 2 or 3 weeks holiday at a time in the 33 years since I left school at 17 I've not had the luxury of a gap years or uni holiday length trips. I've done long haul flights but longest travel on the ground has been a bus from Newcastle to the Pyrenees. My preference is to fly in as cheaply as possible then bus/train to destination for backpack trips. For non-backpack trips fly/drive or drive. I don't like too much of my holiday taken up getting to my destination.

That'll likely change a bit when we retire & become cotton-top travellers.

>wish at times i could work that amount i could get loads of money
    A little secret.... the aim is to get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible

BTW SB, that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBadger View Post
    And finally. Bedouin,..... you keep coming back with your advice/opinion...maybe if you got down off that high horse of yours and talk to people at a decent tone ......hadnt expected to be dealing with children.
    Despite portraying himself as quite the seasoned traveller and outdoorsman, he has after all "stood on Volcano's in Guatemala,wandered on the great Steppes of Outer Mongolia, Climbed in the Himalayas, walked on the Great Wall of China, trekked in the Darien Gap"*, most of us know Edward as a fantasist and troll.

Pro tip: Ignore everything he says. About anything.

*Still the 2nd funniest OM quote ever

Still to watch that movie Paddy, sounds nice! Destiny was toying with me for that trip as I had missed my connection in Zurich the night before so decied to hang around for a day...and we left each other in Vienna...