Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Month Long Adventure

Widdler
    I have saved up plenty of money. I have enough saved that I could stay in a hostel for every night for the month. But I don't want to do that, there is alot of world out there and I won't see it from a hostel room! I want to save the money so I can get more than one holiday out of my budget! I figure that I won't have many more oppurunities in life to wander about for a month.
    But thanks for your opinion. Reign in that scarcasm next time, and maybe you could try out some constructive advice that time too.

No need to explain ,mark. The world according to bedders revolves in a very small orbit around being cheap yet spends lots on pointless gear. Go figure.

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBadger View Post
    I have saved up plenty of money. I have enough saved that I could stay in a hostel for every night for the month. But I don't want to do that, there is alot of world out there and I won't see it from a hostel room! I want to save the money so I can get more than one holiday out of my budget! I figure that I won't have many more oppurunities in life to wander about for a month. But thanks for your opinion. Reign in that scarcasm next time, and maybe you could try out some constructive advice that time too.
    </blockquote>Take no notice Mark, one day day Bedders will share his vast amount of climbing, camping and hiking experience with us mere mortals. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

I don't see any problem with the overall plan. If Mark wants to see as much of Europe as possible, then Interail is the way to go. If he wants to save money on accommodation, then wild camping is the way to go. A combination of both seems to make perfect sense.

Mini Goon

Go for it Mark

Yes it might cost you a few bob to get there but think of the value of the experience of travelling around. You will look back on it as money well spent

Enjoy yourself

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Wick View Post
    I can think of various scenarios where ticket and cheapskating are not contradictory.
    Exactly. Go for it Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post
    You'll find that arseholes are the same wherever you go.
    An arsehole is an arsehole but like everyone else , there's a wide spectrum.

Widdler
    Thanks folks.
    I have no fear that it's an experience that I will not forget and I do not doubt that it will be worth it. I've been working 7day weeks since January and dont finish until August when im off for the trip. Before the jubilee there, I hadnt had a day off in over 50days, this break can not come quick enough!

Anyone have any destinations that I should check out throughout Europe? Either good camping spots, walking routes, or even just a town or city I should check out?

>Anyone have any destinations that I should check out throughout Europe?
    Is this a wind up?

For cities - Barcelona and / or Rome.

For walking routes, I'd say have a look at the Dolomites, but that's mainly because I love Italy, and I found the melding of German and Italian culture in the Dollies fascinating. I really liked the fact you could get Italian food, but the place runs with Germanic efficiency! Oh... and the mountains are nuts, interesting, and the climate's good

And Bedouin - this is a young lad; what he's doing is what a lot of people his age do. Including asking for advice from others who've possibly travelled in Europe a bit more.

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBadger View Post
    Anyone have any destinations that I should check out throughout Europe? Either good camping spots, walking routes, or even just a town or city I should check out?
    If you can, head down to the Sierra Nevada in southern Spain. Unfortunately summer isn't the best time (Spring is apparently better) to visit as it is extremely hot. We had 40C in August last year! However, the mountains are impressive, including Spain's highest peak, Mulhacen. There's a lot of wildlife to see and lots of small villages in the Alpujarra (one of the few places where tapas are still free!)

Granada is a beautiful city and is worth a look, especially the Alhambra palace, a huge, ornate palace built by the Moors.The city isn't too big, and has a nice continental feel to it. Avoid the main touristy parts in the centre, and head off into the smaller streets to find North African style restaurants in the part known as Little Africa.

A trip from Barcelona to Rome would take around 20 hours then you'd have to get out of Rome and find some wild camping spot. Then maybe another 20 hour onward journey?

If on the other hand you'd done some planning you could fly for less than £30 and it would take about 90 minutes leaving you fresh and raring to go to do what ever you wanted.

I have no problem with what the OP wants to do but for someone who's having to work 7 days a week for 8 months (your in the wrong job mate!) to pay for this its just a LUDICROUS way of having a holiday.

Crikey... where do you begin to offer advice about Europe?

At this end of Europe, I've enjoyed wandering around The Hague and walking on their nearby sand dune trails. The highest point in The Hague is a sand dune!

I don't know how far you can get with Interail, but if you can get to Budapest, then you can get a local bus out of the city to the top of Hungary's highest mountain.

I'll second Rome, with the proviso that you watch out for pick-pockets, and if you get a train through Tuscany to get to/from it, then there are lots of walks from train stations.

Nice is at one end of the GR5, and Geneva is pretty close to the other end, so you could suss out both, then decide if you want to walk between the two at a later date.

Railways through the Black Forest can be stunning, and you can get off at almost any station and be guaranteed some kind of decent walk.

I'm going to second Granada too, but you have to book in advance to visit the Alhambra. There's a bus service up to a nearby ski resort for a leg-up into the Sierra Nevada.

If you really want to feel like you've explored a whole 'country' in a matter of hours, then aim for mini-states such as Gibraltar, Monaco and the Vatican City!

Places to avoid... Algeciras... the wart on the arse of Andalucia... though you might have to go through it if you're planning on a short hop across to Morocco.

Hi Mark,

Good luck on your trip

Some handy OM advice, you can go to:-

My Forum --> Members I'm Ignoring --> Add a member to your ignore list.

...on anyone you wish....

Regards

Ok bedders.
    You don't use trains but educate us how it's 20 hours to get anyhere from Rome using your experience.

And...

Fly me and my luggage to Rome for less than £30. Want to put your money where your mouth is?

Hold on. Is this a wind up?

Kate, I interailed at about the same age (19 in fact) the one thing that I remember most was spending huge amounts of time on trains trying to see as much as possible. Having spoken to people about it over the years its a common problem.

I'm nearly passing on my experiences and I suspect that of a large proportion of other young interrailers

Maybe the right of passage isn't the interailing as such but the realising that travelling is about experiencing the people and there customs rather than the actual act of travelling.

‹bermensch

Rome is definetly worth a trip. If you stay on a commercial site, of which there are several up to an hour's drive away, many do shuttle buses into Rome & back. The Necropolis, Ostia Antica, Villa Hadrian & Calcata in the same region are also worth a visit. Carcasonne, Monsegur, Arles, Pyrenees.

You can book online for the Alhambra & as late as the day before your visit midweek.

I know folk who've done what you are planning & they had a great time & if you're young a great recce for future trips. Not my bag as I like to focus on a smaller area for my holidays & obviously not for Bedders either. Each to their own though. No need to be a twat about it.

That's your version of travel bedders. Why should we all be the same.

You meet lots of interesting people on trains...

PA, have a look on Rail Europe you'll find that they are quoting the journey as 20 hours and 1 change.

As for the flight check out EasyJet... going through to the end admittedly the cost jumps to £44 with luggage £33 with only hand luggage.

But £44 or 20 hours on a train plus the pro rata cost of the ticket? I know what most people would choose!

and yes you meet some wonderful people on trains the whole experience of train travel is fantastic BUT it needs to be seen in the wider context of having a good holiday, seeing lots of places etc. Spending 20 hours on a train in a seat is gruelling.

> Each to their own though
    Exactly... I'm just pointing out my experience the OP can take it or leave it.