Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Month Long Adventure

Widdler

Hey all,

Im going interailing around europe for a month, but I plan on wild camping amd hill walkingfor most of the time maybe a campsite one night a week mid week and a hostel once a weekend just so I have some comforts. I have enough money that if I find that I cant wild camp I can afford to pay for camsites each night but Id really rather not.

I've been trying to do the entire thing on as little money as possible. I've gotten myself a ProAction Hike Lite, which ive spent a few nights in already and find it comfortable. I have a Trangia 27. I have a Bivvi bag/Tarp (whichI used with my hammock)for the more stealth camps when I cant find a good place to pitch up.

What I hoping for are some tips, suggestions if any of you have done anything similar? Also, how many changes of clothing should I bring, keeping the pack weight down is important, and I can easily find somewhere to clean my clothes in the cities, right?

Can you think of any other essentials which I will need?

Thanks all.

Badger.

Widdler
    Andrew who has posted his blog HERE about a walk from Italy to Norway. Been a great read so far and should give you some tips etc.

Even if I'm travelling for two or three months at a stretch, I work on the principle that I'll wear my walking clothes during the day, and change into something lightweight and low-bulk in the evening. The only other additional clothing I'll take, apart from waterproofs, is another change of walking socks. You need to get into a routine that enables you to wash and dry clothes quickly and easily, whether you're wild camping or staying indoors, and get it done overnight, so that you're not wasting valuable day-time hours. Works for me, so it should work for anyone. I see far too many people carrying massive packs containing umpteen complete changes of clothing, and quite frankly, it baffles me!

If you don't know how to wash clothing by hand in the evening, and ensure that it is dry for the following morning... then find out! It's not rocket science, but it does involve the application of simple physics. I'm always astounded that someone who washes their clothing at the same time as me, in the same place, ends up with a sodden mass of clothing, while my stuff is all dry and ready to wear!

Mini Goon

Paddy, I for one would like to learn a few tips

Europe is a big place!

I bummed around Greece and its islands many years ago.

If i was doing it today, i would carry a bug-net for sleeping, a very light quilt, and errr, that's about it! Maybe a tarp if i couldn't chat up any females.

Maybe a spare t-shirt and shorts.

Widdler

HW Started reading the blog. It is an interesting read, My troubles are alot less thanks to the trains. But the struggle to find wild camp pitches is interesting. I may send Andrew a PM and ask for his opinion.

Paddy, I would genuinly appriciate the tips if you were willing to spare the time. Or even a link to some information. Being able to carry less clothing would be excellent, both for my back, and I wouldnt have to pay for extra baggage on the flights to and from europe.

Mike, I am a warm sleeper, I often sleep in a 2 season with the zip open so I was planning on just a large flease blanket, and keep some layers on if I find it cold. As forchatting upthe ladies, Not much room in the HikeLite, it would be cosy to say the least

Common sense rules apply...

1. To wash clothes properly requires soap. Doesn't have to be washing powder, or any fancy soap, but you need to shift dirt, sweat, oil and odour, and preferably leave a slightly perfumed scent in place. Hot or warm water washes better than cold, but cold is better than nothing. If you don't have a wash-tub of any kind available, squidge everything around in a plastic bag. Any old plastic bag, so long as it's not full of holes, and it weighs nowt and can be disposed of afterwards. Rinse out all the soap afterwards.

2. Wet stuff dries quicker if you get rid of as much water as possible first. Wring out clothes. Whirl them around. Slap them against a rock. Basically get rid of water by any means at your disposal. If you have a towel, roll your wrung, whirled and slapped stuff inside the towel, roll it tight, and jump up and down on it. You'll end up with a wet towel, but at least you don't have to wear the towel the next day.

3. Never let the sun go down on your washing. If you finish a day's walk in stinky clothes, and the sun is shining, then washing clothes takes priority over pitching the tent, eating and drinking. Things dry best on sunny days, but the sun is on its way down, so every second counts. A sunny spot with a breeze is best of all, so scout around to find one.

4. Have some strong, light cord at the ready and get a line, or lines, stretched out in the sunny, breezy spot. Hang the clothes in such a way that the maximum area of fabric is exposed to the sun, and catching the breeze. If you have a handful of tiny clothes pegs, this is a doddle, but if not, then accept it's just going to take longer, because it's likely that your clothes are going to be folded double over the line.

5. Keep returning to the clothes and keep re-arranging them, so that damp patches are continually turned towards the sun and breeze. If you find that water has migrated to hems, or to the toe-ends of socks, give them another thorough squeeze, or they won't dry properly.

6. No sun... no breeze... pouring with rain? Not necessarily a problem. If you can get indoors you can still make a pretty good stab at getting things dry... but arrange wet clothes where they'll get the maximum airflow, and keep re-arranging them. Last resort, if you're camping in the rain, is to get clothes as dry as possible by as many methods as possible from above, then wear them. Might not feel pleasant, but might not take long to dry either.

7. Give yourself a fighting chance. Polyester and nylon will dry quicker than cotton or wool. In the worst conditions, cotton won't dry at all. Soggy footwear responds best when stuffed with cumpled newspaper, so don't ever pass a discarded newspaper late in the day, if your footwear needs drying!

It might read like a horrendously complicated list, but the main thing is for it to become a ROUTINE, so that you hardly notice it, and let it merge in with all the other things you do after a day's walk. Clothes can be drying while you are doing other things... just as you can do other things while you're waiting for a pan of water to boil.

dr bronners liquid soap is excellent for all soap related uses. you don't need much of it and it rinses out/off easily. you can also take advantage of soap laden wet clothing e.g. underwear and use this to give yourself a wash - two birds and all that - if practicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post
    2. Wet stuff dries quicker if you get rid of as much water as possible first. If you have a towel, roll your wrung, whirled and slapped stuff inside the towel, roll it tight, and jump up and down on it. You'll end up with a wet towel, but at least you don't have to wear the towel the next day.
    Well, any woman who's ever had a clean tight or stocking crisis knows that one!

Microfibre towels are good for this as they're very absorbent and dry very quickly.

Inter-railing....wild camping....squeal like a pig, boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post
    Well, any woman who's ever had a clean tight or stocking crisis knows that one!
    Yeah... but it was a bloke asking the question... and they know nowt!

Mini Goon

Yep Right again Paddy

Thanks for the tips

No cotton Keks from now on!

Mini Goon
    Not that I shall be going commando!

lol, Paddy

Its Friday afternoon so I guess its O.K coz I've got a feeling that I'm about to piss all over your parade.....

You don't give much information but I'm here wonderiing if you've maybe escaped from a place with lots of padding and nice men in white jackets with syringes of medication?

Firstly the cheapest Inter-rail ticket covering Europe for 1 month is nearly £400. If your over 25 that rises to to nearly £600.

So the most obvious question is why the feck are you paying £hundreds if you intend to spend most of your time "wild camping and hill walking"?

You then say....

"I've been trying to do the entire thing on as little money as possible"

Do you or anyone see anything odd in that statement based on the cost of an interail pass????

O.K here's MY advice....

Decide where you most want to go i.e. the French Alps or the Italian Dolomites. Buy a return ticket to said fave place. Do as much "wild camping and hill walking" in your chosen place as you want for the month then return home. Simples!!!!!

The harsh reality of travel 'Passes' are that companies that offer them aint stoopid the only way to get your monies worth out of them is to use them to death which is good nay fantastic if you want to get an intimate knowledge of European train seat covering fabrics 2012 but not so great if your mission is to go ""wild camping and hill walking"

Here endeth the lesson

>Can you think of any other essentials which I will need?

Didn't see you mentioning American Express anywhere.

some people like travelling and seeing the worldbedders. some apparently don't.

even at £600 it's still cheap to travel about.

You'll find that arseholes are the same wherever you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Parky Again View Post
    even at £600 it's still cheap to travel about.
    Don't disagree BUT then the OP starts quibbling about a few Euro's for a campsite it kinda seems strange IYSWIM.

It's reassuring to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing

Ticket as 21st birthday gift? I can think of various scenarios where ticket and cheapskating are not contradictory.