Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: My Baselayer Is Made Of Holes...

▄bermensch
    The look wouldn't be a problem if it was worn under a base layer or shirt, but would the smell? I see it's made of polypro, which can get a bit ripe very quickly.

Ultra King
    Modern polypro has treatments to resist odour. They're certainly gd enough for a day or two imho. The smell issue has been overplayed I reckon. I mean polypro can easily be washed then it dries.a lot quicker than other fabrics and it is a lot more comfortable.when worn wet. Personally I prefer it to other synthetics for comfort when wearing it. Smell is less of an issue than wet fabric nxt to the skin cooling you down in winter. These mesh base layers are supposed to be warm so better for colder months when polypro properties such as wicking is more important.

I've used a couple of these holey baselayers and have to say that once you get past the distinctive looks they are absolutely awesome. If it's cold mine always goes on, and if I need a spare change of top they're the lightest things around.

I wonder how bad the smell is? The construction should mean that they're absorbing much less sweat than a standard base layer which seems like it might help quite a bit.

If it is a problem then brynje/aclima both seem to do merino versions.

▄bermensch

"Modern polypro has treatments to resist odour."

Most modern base layers using polypro do (and ditto polyester) but the manufacturers usually say so. Can't see any reference to this with the Brynje and Aclima stuff, which is what made me wonder.

Widdler
    There's a photo in June Tr**l (p95 as you ask) which perfectly illustrates why this is a path down which I have no intention of going.

Chris

Ultra King
    Yes. Moobs and belly show up lighter due greater stretch opening up the holes more making it look lighter. Not that I've seen trail mag of course.

Polypro has changed since the early Lifa days when it was renowned for stinking. As I understand it, the structure's changed at a fibre level, so there are less blunt ends to trap debris and bacteria - I've used polypro from a number of brands, TNF and Wildstripes for example, and neither have been noticably smelly.

The Brinje top was fine after yesterday's yomp across Kinder by the way. You can wash polypro at 60░ by the way, Wildstripes say that at those temps, debris is sort of 'melted' off the fibres. You can't tumble or iron it though.

There's also a merino version plus a closer knit 'summer' weight, which looks a little less, erm, 'scene'. I suspect the merino will be more odour free, but less effective at moisture management/wicking/fast drying fwiw.

As a compromise, I did mention to Rhodri that a zoned version with merino under-arm/sidepanels might work as a best of both worlds solution. Not sure how Norwegian that would be though...

Goon
    Jon when did you start that right said fred tribute band

For once I'm not going to ask if they make it in a women's fit!

Well Aclima do, although as seen below it involves rather compromising their ideals

For once I'm not going to ask if they make it in a women's fit!

I'm pretty sure they do. Would you like to test one for us? Seriously. The idea is that it remains under a 'cap layer' unless you want to cool down fast, in which case you just vent and dump heat really fast. Like really fast.

On the band front, we're available for weddings, barmitzvahs, batmitzvahs and Britain's Got Ice-Dancing X-Factor Voice auditions by prior arrangement :-;

Alright, Jon, never one to spurn a gauntlet thrown... yes if you have one, I'll test one, though any review may not come with a photo! Given that I run extremely hot, it would be interesting to see how it does.

you can always wash it in polygiene to make it "smell free" (you'll have to track it down in germany)

Jon- I think you look much better than Graham Thompson in Trail (no offence Graham!)

Are you sure that's not a body double?

That's not a nice way to speak of Graham Thompson, Kate. It's mebbe a double midriff, but not...

Oh, I've misunderstood again, haven't I?

We can't afford a body double. Or a double body. Kate, I shall investigate the women's specific situation and be in touch.

There are hats with mesh lining too. And fleece. And even mesh boxers with windproof modesty panels... I like the mesh-lined mountain cap with zipped vents as well.

I await MfD's Friday teatime observations on the ladies range of undergarments with some anticipation