Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting my stuff together

for a cheap tasty light meal cush a pot noodle up in A food bag, there's a good selection. chinese curry to beef and tomato. well.... i love um

‹bermensch
    That's lunch every trip for me - sometimes mixed with a cup a soup. Light & quick.

Ultra King

SP, why carry the small tin?

Easy, lighter way and don't have to carry empty tin.

Put tuna and sweetcorn in a ziplock bag, mixed up with the sachets of Mayo from McD's etc. Simples!

Tommy and Brown sauce, salt and pepper, are useful too.

Mini Goon
    took salt, pepper and oregano in little baggies, wonder what the cops would have said if they searched me.... Also i'm a big fan of super noodles with a few bits of salami chucked in, you also get this stuff over here in sweden, translates as milk cheese, its squeezy cheese in a tube, you get different flavours, my faivoret being roast reindeer, they are hi in fat, but i see that as good thing, a quick dose of this on anything makes a cheesy delight! never thought about couscous, will give that try next time, especially right now, there is loads of wood sorrel about and the fresh leaves on the beech are also quite palatable, but the wood sorrel wins on flavour hands down, add that to the couscous and a bit of salami, could be a winner!

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyman View Post

SP, why carry the small tin?
    Just for weekend trips so no biggy & only 160g including contents, the tin is negligable. I've had the same weekend menu for 20 odd years & am loathe to make changes to it as I always look forward to my grub when backpacking.

Ultra King

Fair enough.

Me, Irarely carry tins, (apart from fuel), only if I need to resupply on multi'sand if I can I'll do what usually do.I put contents in a ziplock, either mixed with what I'm making or on it's own. The tin goes into recycling bin, ziplock can be washed and reused.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom WIlson 2 View Post
    you also get this stuff over here in sweden, translates as milk cheese, its squeezy cheese in a tube, you get different flavours, my faivoret being roast reindeer,
    I don't know about the squeezy cheeze, but am fairly sure that roast reindeer flavour hasn't made its way to the UK...

Salami etc (the "treats" to add flavour) are a good plan. Fat certainly has its place, and if you are doing a lot of work it can be very good - as well as having a high energy density.

Ultra King

You can get squeezy cheese in the UK, not in many flavours. Usually ham, herb or garlic.

Made by Primula or 'own brands'. Otherwise it's triangles.

I take flat breads (eg pitta) filled with squeezy cheese (flat breads are far more resilient to squashing than normal bread and much 'tougher' when being eaten in the rain). Also the squeezy cheese copes well even when allowed to warm up in my pack.

Beanfeast goes very well - I take a Pour and Store ziplock bag with it in and just top it up with boiling water then bung it in my sleeping bag to 'cook' for 30 mins. It's always just the right temp and no washing up required. I'll do a noodles and a cupasoup in the same way.

Alpen in a ziplock bag with a scoop of skimmed milk powder and hot water makes for an easy breakfast. You can see that none of my 'cooking' requires any cleaning and means that I can skip taking a cook pot and instead take a kettle (which is safer and more efficient). I can also do without a bowl (though I really like my sea to summit bowl) and with all of this weight saving I can justify taking a decent, heat retaining, mug rather than a metal one (I don't really like drinking hot drinks out of metal cups).

I've taken cous cous before and found that works well (though the guy I usually hike with can't stand the stuff and since I always get lumbered with buying the food, it's easier to take things we'll both eat).

Now if I'm bushcrafting then I'll take bacon and sausages and all the trimmings - my packs tends to triple in weight then : (

As for booze, I used to take ciders but can't stand the extra weight, then I went with a small thermos of vodka but it never really stayed that cold so I taught myself to like neat, room temp vodka. It's very light, cheap and does what you want it to. Roll on the next trip!

Ultra King

Booze, now that's a good question!

To take or not, well I usually take some, 500mls at most. That does me for 3/4 days normally. Just to help get over to sleep.

As some may know, I'm partial to a single malt, some of the malts I buy, tasting very nice, (if you like whiskey/whisky), can be 'rocket fuel'. The lowest ABV I'd take is 48%. Normally is around 54/58%, so you don't need much to get a nice 'buzz'.

Mini Goon
    My plan for next time is to take some GnT in a bottle, freeze it the night before, so its nice and cool by the time i stop for camp!

Ultra King

To keep things like your vodka coolyou can always put it in a stream, pool, etc.

Make sure if it's fast running stream, you anchor it to bank, or could be washed away.

Will usually be colder than ambient temp.

With malt I don't need to as is better at ambient temp.