Thread: Never cold

Looking to possibly update my summer bag as the (Mountain Hardwear) Banshee has proved warmer than expected. Would like something with a DWR shell but am having trouble finding anything.

The Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 looks OKish but have heard a lot of good things about Marmot bags in general and the Plasma 30 seems to tick most box's.

Anyone have any advice on summer down bags? this will be to replace a well used The North Face Superlight.

Cheers

I have the MH Phantom 32. At £180 from Cotswolds at the mo it's excellent value. Mine weighs 682g inc the stuff sac (28g).

Cheers Wurz, now that IS a good price on the Phantom. Will probably wander on over to Cotswolds tomorrow to check one out. Am minded to think that 32 might be a bit warm though.

I'm not really too fussed when it comes to value as a I'm more interesting in performance when it comes to kit.

Anyone have any thought on Marmot in general i.e. product quality, design, customer service etc?

Very happy with my Marmot Pounder bag, it's well made and put up with a LOT of abuse so far. I mainly use it in the states in hot weather (Grand Canyon trips, the Carolina's, etc) and kip on the ground without a tarp/bivvy bag more often than not - it hasn't picked up any nicks or tears which I find quite surprising! I've been caught out in some light rain once or twice in it and it coped fine.

Get a custom made bag from PHD.

Now that custom bag app on the PHD site is interesting. Do you know what the lead time for bags is? can't find anything obvious

First Last

I have something right up your alley bedootw4t

A down bag made from the finest goose down, each goose is personality tested to ensure that they are a perfect match for the outdoors type.

Limited run to just one bag.

Has a water repellent shell as per nikwax washing, (bags may be branded alpkit), but have no fears as it has been emptied and re-stuffed with only personality tested goose down for that aspiring wannabe customer.

Yours for the price of £999.99, a steal for someone of your calibre.

Mail me at imaposturingmoron@allthegearnoidea.com

First Last
    My god we have us a genius, stand back as we watch in amazement in their powers of the obviousness.

Lead time is variable at PHD. I just got my sale bag in 2 weeks, after being told it could be up to 5 weeks!! They have always been very straight forwards when I have phoned them about delivery etc.
    Just give them a call. They are small enough to be flexible.

Bedderz, if you look on u.s. Sites its usually reckoned to be not quite as warm as rated. I got it a couple of years ago from over there. Its imho well made, dwr only a half zip. If you want lighter phd is prob the way to go but I personally dont see any massive advantage with the Marmot for the price differential.

'On paper' Marmot bags look to be wider than PHD's regular sized bags. Don't know how this affects you.

‹bermensch

I had to get rid of my PHD Minum as I found it too narrow. I now have the roomier Marmot Hydrogen for spring to autumn - mainly cos it was half price & I am very pleased with my winter Marmot Lithium bag.

It has full zip so can be used as a quilt in warmer weather. It's a 66 grams heaver than the Plasma30 but has the same temp rating & it has a DWR. It's a chunk cheaper than the Plasma as it's a simpler bag.

Rosswm, we tried a PHD Minim for my 'chubby' hubby and had to sell it on because it was too narrow. I have been keeping my eyes open for a Marmot Hydrogen or Helium, in the hope that it might be wide enough (-hope against hope for a 2nd hand 'bargain'!!).

How much wider do you find your Marmot bag compared with the PHD?

‹bermensch
    cathyjc - dunno exactly as I didn't measure it - I'm 44 chest & 36 waist & it's comfortable whereas the Minim was usable but a PIA to get into. On my last outing my Border Terrier even managed to sneak into it during the night! I can get you real measurements if you like.

Thanks everyone... the made to measure PHD service sounded good but maybe not. Gonna check out the Marmots over Easter.

I have a Marmot "wind river" bag that's a hoodless mummy and rated to +4.

No complaints after 8 years mis-use. Lost of little of it's loft, but that's my fault. The build quality seems good, no issues with stitching, components or anything. It has stood up to a fair old battering and been used down to -20 with a liner and a bivi bag, and up to the 30s unzipped as loose quilt.

It's being gracefully retired to Summer use only now, has done well for the US$ 80 I paid for it...

Ultra King
    My heavy bag is a marmot fusion xl. Way too wide for me being xl but need the length. It is warmer than my folate quilt which has a lower comfort temp -7 C compared to the,marmot -1 C. Despite it having too much space in it.
    I'm not sure as only one bag of each maker but I suspect marmot are more realistic/conservative than folate on their ratings.
    It is well made imho.