Thread: Talkback: Karrimor Clothing Is Back!

Bought an alpiniste off sports direct website for £89.99 on saturday. Sounded too good to pass up on.

‹bermensch
    I'm afraid my reaction on seeing the name Karrimor nowadays is to think the item was made to the lowest possible specs in some Far Eastern factory with poor/non-existent quality control and simply had the Karrimor label stuck on it -- probably with inferior glue. I know some Karrimor gear is actually quite good, but there's enough of the rubbish around to put me off the whole lot.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Looks like it might explain this thread.

Yes, I saw the new Karrimor fell shoes in a sports direct (i was with someone!), Salomon should sue!

Initiate
    Jon has I think got the prices wrong. I know an Event Jacket for less than £100 seems a bit much but it is true, if fact its only £89.99 on the website. They also have a new range of Walking Poles including a Carbon Fibre one with an external "fast-lock" locking device, 190g each, good value at £29.99, a pair, in the shops, cheaper on the internet. The carbon ones however lack an "anti shock" facility.

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar
    Sports Direct online are crammed with Karrimor stuff at very prices.

Re poles you can get a pair of Leki Trails for £10 more. The Karrimor X-lites are £25 at 480g (http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor...g-poles-784103). It is tempting versus some Leki at £40 (http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Leki-Makalu-Trail-Trekking-Poles-(PAIR)) which are about 300g heavier...there are some Leki Jaspers on ebay for £40 and they weight 290g.

Widdler
    Used to be the name to trust. Tried a pair of their fabaric 'Waterproof' boots recently - they are OK if its dry!

Initiate
    Not sure where FredL gets the figure for for the Karrimor carbon X-lites. The product info on my poles says 190g a pole which is 380g for a pair.

Goon

unfortunately, I wouldn't feel I could trust karrimor stuff now. comparing two zipped baselayers from 'before' and 'after'...well, crane sports do better. Horrible 'trekking shirts' .
    have seen quite a few bad reports about footwear, though others think they're OK (for 'leisure use' anyway).

the rucksacks I've seen , bought & used are miles apart. the 'new stuff' is single stitching.

if i was going to buy one, i'd look very carefully at the stitching, material & fit. Tried stuff in F&T & it felt odd. I'd take 'RRP' with a huge dose of salt!

That's awful maths. I think it's £25 per pole...

Initiate
    Reference the previous post from FredL I purchased a pair of the Xlite Carbon poles for £29.99 in my local Sportsdirect the other day they are available a few pounds cheaper on the website. The RRP is given as £59.99 but as previous posts have indicated the RRP's on Karrimor stuff sold in Sports Direct/Field and Trek have to be taken with a "Pinch of Salt".

Regarding the Alpinist jacket, what does "Features include twin venting, mesh-lined torso pockets..." mean?

Is that the pockets on the outside leading straight to the inside with just a mesh panel in between? Maybe great for ventilation if so , BUT wouldn't that mean the rain getting in on a really wet day as the pocket zips are only water resistant?

Initiate

Reference the previous post the pockets have a mesh lining rather than being constructed of two layers of event fabric as the previous post points out the "downside" of this design is that any water that gets past the water resist zip can enter the jacket rather than just the pocket. The upside is you do not have two layers of fabric across the front of the jacket cutting down the breathabilty of the fabric also the pockets, if left open, can in the absence of "pit zips" be used as a "venting" option. Karrimor are not the only Company using this design feature and it is commonplace in other company designs.

Which "style" you think is best is a personal choice that you need to weigh up along with other jacket features like weight, breathability, fabric, fit, design and length when chosing what jacket suits you best.

Not truly ideal with their positioning though. Would rather prefer some sort of storm flap to help a bit. No external one of course, but maybe there's an internal one?

Talking of storm flaps, is there even a proper one behind the main front zip? The picture in the article makes it look like its very small at best, which really isn't clever if so.

Initiate

Reference the previous post the Storm Flap behind the main zip is 1.5 cm and it also has a "rain gutter" arrangement. However the top 15 cm of the zip has no "rain gutter" and is therefore wider at 2 cm. By way of comparison similar measurements on other jackets I have with exposed water resist zips and internal Storm Flap are as follows:

Montaine Halo Jacket 3 cm

Columbia Peak2Peak Jacket 2.5 cm

Rab Latock Alpine 3 cm

The two main pockets have no external or internal Storn Flap. The small top pocket on the chest also has no kind of storm flap but is made up of two layers of event fabric.

I was also a bit sceptical about the Karrimor name for the above reasons.
    BUT I had a look at the Alpiniste eVent Jacket in sports direct and it looked well constructed. Tried on a load to get the right fit and checked them all out. Ive been looking for an eVent Jacket for a couple of years as my walking trips usually end up as a boil in the bag session. When I saw this for