Thread: Trekking poles, pacer poles?

Widdler
    I've just searched the Internet for trekking poles, and found a strange type called pacer poles that Ive never seen before. Just wondered if anyone has used them them and what their like compared to normal poles? Better, worse, advantages, dis advantages

‹bermensch
    The advantages are that some people find Pacerpoles much more comfortable and effective, and love them. The disadvantages are others find them uncomfortable and a real pain, and hate them.

I've briefly fiddled with a pair and found myself in a different category to Guy's pair of options.

I felt them to be more immediately intuitive and I suspect more people will be able to get good effect out of them quicker and more readily than is the case with "normal" grip/strap combinations.

However, if you're happy with the usual ones and can use them to good effect with no particular problems then you can save yourself a fair bit of cash on not bothering to fix something that isn't borken.

I get on fine with traditional grips and straps and much prefer lever-locking telescopic sections to twist-style locks. Twisters are the only option you have with Pacer poles, so I use Black Diamond flicklock ski touring poles (I'm a skier so they do double duty) by preference.

For someone who hasn't used poles before or who doesn't get on with the usual grips/straps and has the cash, I'd say they're very well worth a look.

Pete.

Widdler

I decided to get Pacerpolesafter using traditional poles with wrist straps because they feel intuitive and I find straps a pain in the neck, especially when wearing gloves. At times I'm constantly putting the poles down to use my camera, so I find myself using traditional poles without the straps, which isn't the most efficient way to use them. With the Pacerpoles life is so much simpler without the straps.

But like Marmite some love and some hate 'em.

I got a trial pair of pacerpoles, not sure I'd have forked out for a new pair cos they looked so weird, bit after using them, I'd definitely fork out for a pair. Really comfy and natural to use.

I don't uave a problem with the shock cord 'straps' and tend to pet the poles just dangle from ky wrists when i need to use ky hands.

Widdler

I think those thin Pacerpole shock cord straps are only there in case dropping a pole would result in losing them (steep ground, snow, etc). I don't use them. Pushing the adjuster right up to the handle keeps them out of the way.

I got mine 2nd hand (cheers Mike they're great) but for me they would be worth the full price.

‹bermensch

Were you holding the poles while you typed that Kate?

lol, Ross. No, I was typing on the mobile, double problem of small 'keys' on the phone and the darned spellchecker.

Mini Goon
    One thing in favour of Pacerpoles is that you can return them within a month of purchase for a refund if you are not satisfied with them. That's a pretty confident stance from the manufacturer I think.