Thread: Talkback: Rohan Launches Cycling Range

So I know a fair bit about wet weather cycling. If it doesn't have back vents, no waterproof fabric can breathe well enough to keep you dry. After about 20mins you get wet from sweat and much longer you're as wet from sweat as you would be from rain.

I can actually be drier riding in heavy rain in a jacket with waterproof front and a large mesh back panel and mesh in the rear of the arms, or a much more breathable insulated softshell if its cold enough such as Paramo Quito (which is not cut for cycling, its 4" too short in the rear so wet-bum unless you're wearing waterproof pants).

How many times does "our fabric is so breathable we don't need venting" need to be proved wrong before that failed idea is fully and forever rejected?

The other unique aspect for cycling is if you seek to limit the need for venting in the jacket by keeping your insulation to the bare minimum you can end up with frigid hands and feet.

... plus you pay a high price for a garment which won't really work.

Enough "venting" from a 40yr cycling veteran doing 10K miles per annum....

I agree entirely with you Nigel.

My rain jacket is eVent, with venting pockets and that only just works.

I prefer a windshirt except in very heavy rain.

Which they do of course have in the range too! Don't think you can blame them for making what people want to buy

Nigel what do you use?

I can't fault the Montane Velocity DT. £45 at Go Outdoors but normally £100 which is half the price of the Rohan.

I'm not too interested in the waterproof because the pockets are not the sort of thing I can actually use to warm up a hand as I ride along. Back vents (and pockets) are a non-issue for me as I tour on a recumbent... but to not out-sweat a waterproof, just like when walking, don't use so much oomph. Cycling doesn't have to be hard work.

I do like the look of the wind jacket though. Pocket set up just like the waterproof's should be! I'll be investiagting that one.

Pete.

the brand's first selection of cycling kit for 30 years

Not so, their previous offerings ( a wind smock and a hard shell) were 90s creations. Pretty good they were too, but they didn't sell. Maybe the price was a deterrent... I got mine when they were selling them off half price as end-of-line and they still weren't cheap.

It's basically a cycling pad or 'chamois' that you can insert under your normal underwear for, say, commuting or riding to the shops and saves the hassle of changing shorts for general riding.

I must admit I haven't really grokked how putting a pad inside your underpants is significantly (any?) less inconvenient than changing in to cycle shorts. I know some people like to dress up like a Power Ranger just to pop down to the shops but frankly I don't see the point. A decent saddle should easily see you through 10 miles with no discomfort in normal clothes and it's much more convenient just getting on your bike and getting on with it. I think more people need to visit Amsterdam and see how it's done.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

... but to not out-sweat a waterproof, just like when walking, don't use so much oomph. Cycling doesn't have to be hard work.

Except if there is an evil headwind with driving rain, or up hill. Or maybe that's just my commute...

I don't cycle particularly hard - don't get out of breath, but still produce a lot of sweat.

Except if there is an evil headwind with driving rain, or up hill. Or maybe that's just my commute...

Driving rain cools you down... My commute ends with a 50m climb up a reasonably steep hill. I often do it on a big, heavy bike (a Thorn triplet I've just dropped the kids at school on). I get into the granny gear and spin up fairly slowly. Cycling is the most efficient way to get about as long as the surfaces will take a bike happily: efficiency can be used to go slowly with minimal effort just as much as fast with moderate effort.

Having said that, on a long ride through sustained rain you'll get wet. The arms won't vent and they'll take the brunt of the weather and are bound to wet out after a while, and then the cooling effect of the rain on them will help any moisture inside (be it from sweat or just the air) condense. But that's still a lot less wet than a non-shell and in sensible clothes should dry out quickly enough at work.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTouring View Post
    Nigel what do you use? I can't fault the Montane Velocity DT. £45 at Go Outdoors but normally £100 which is half the price of the Rohan.
    cold rain - Paramo Quito over base.

warmer rain - Montane Velo Nikxwak'd and I simply get wet under, but at least it cleaner rain than sweat. Under I've used Paramo Explorer or Merino thin base both aren't bad wet.

In the hills uphill I'd be in my base, if the Explorer fleece-out then at the altitude then reverse then about to go downhill add the windshirt. Or add Quito and adjust venting.

If used one of these "so breathable doesn't need venting" I'd be soaked from sweat on the climb and freezing cold after the descent.

Have any of you actually tried cycling in this Rohan Elite Jacket?

Bob's lost his log-in details so I'm posting for him.

Bob is, by his own admission, a sweaty barsteward and always runs hot. He's tried Gore-Tex, eVent and Paramo and this tops them all.

This Rohan cycling jacket delivers everything it promises re breathability. Bob would normally only wear a waterproof as a last resort (he'd rather get wet than wear a plaggy bag jacket) but he has worn this Rohan Elite Stormer waterproof as a windproof (note, windproof) for several long rides and it's been a revelation. Even after flogging up a few hills there has been hardly any condensation inside it.

My problem with the Stormer is it's only any use for cycling (and not so useful on a recumbent with most of the pocket space at the back). I'd like a version of their Elite general purpose light jacket with a longer drop tail, some discrete reflectives and a bright (but not BRIGHT) colour (red or mango orange, for example).

Rohan are good at fabric technology.

Pete.

HELP HELP AN EVIL WIZARD TURNED ME INTO A KEYBOARD

Ultra King
    er,righto