Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pot handle

Goon
    My pot handle is too heavy - 54g. I want to replace it with something lighter.
    There is a piece of metal about 4cm long by 1cm wide. It is rivitted onto the side of the pot so that the long side of the rivetted piece is horizontal. The handle is plastic, but at the end where it fits into the rivetted piece of metal it is metallic. THis mettalic part is bent into a right angle so that with the handle horizontal, the pot is supported and secure with the right angle.

Sorry I'm making this sound more complicated than it is and I should send a photo, but can't at the moment.

I thought of using a wire coat hanger bending it into a shape and fixing it in the rivettted part of the pot. I don't know how secure and comfortable this would be. Any ideas ?

I'd be tempted to use a photon banana, quantum grafted onto a nano herring.

Bit hard to help without a pic mate, or answer the "secure and comfortable" question.

If it's say a 500ml pot it may well be ok but i wouldn't trust coat hanger wire with a 1.5lt pot.

Lightest solution would be a billy can type handle, if that's feasible.

‹bermensch
    Remove handles of bigger pots and use this:

it is of MSR and weighs about 29 grams

Perhaps someone made something that works the same way but from carbon or titanium to save some gramms. works great with larger pans and pots full of heavy food or water.

‹bermensch
    You can make a nice bail for a pot out of an old bike cable and 2 screw electricity wire connectors. Might weigh 54gms though.

Goon
    Picture of pot on left and lid on right(which I no longer use). You can see attachment on RHS of pot.

Goon

I'm looking for a cheap solution asI may not keep this pot. Just something I can use to hold it reasonable securely. I eat from it so used as a bowl so handle wouldneed to be fine for that too. Perhaps there is no easy solution.

‹bermensch
    Having seen the pots I would experiment with some thick wire and then test it with the pan of water. Going to be tough to beat the weight of the MSR pot lifter though.

whats wrong with a. 'bog standard' pangrab ? the trangiatype ( aka bulldog) . cheap ones for £2.50 iweigh 35g and if you are sad like me weigh less than 25 once drilled like the trangia version....

Initiate

Initiate

The lightest pan grab would be to use gloves you were already carrying. I did make a grab from silicone rubber and foam. It was like a connected finger stall for thumb and middle finger with foam insulation and an insulator for the side of the index finger under the rolled rim of the pot. It just about worked for a 1.2 litre pot and weighed 9 gram. Holdthose fingersas if you were holding a pot with the thumb just inside and the middle finger down outside. Then imagine what is needed to protect them from heat.

a standard grabber is a better tool

Goon

THanks Derek,

I have some Thermawra. Perhaps I could just cut a strip a couple of inches long that I could use to grab the pan, with one end of strip on outside and the other end on inside. It could be enough to hold pan when stirring contents and also for lifting it on and off stove. I could then sit it inside a short thermawrap cosie - just enough to cover the base and maybe 1" up the sides. That could be lighter, though not as convenient as a propoer handle.

I think you might be better off with Mrs Nesbits suggestion

go on - please tell me - I'm intrigued now - what's really so wrong with a normal £2 pan grab -which actually does the job quite well?

Rather than faffing about with an (admittedly lighter) 'accident waiting to happen'?

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

The strip metal handle that comes with Gelert's Mini Trangia clone works rather well for rolled-lip pans.

No idea if you can get one on its own...

Goon
    My pan doesn't have a rolled lip.

Goon
    Hi Mole, Kindly post a link to a £2 pan grab and i'll think it over - would have to be lighter than 54g.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> My pan doesn't have a rolled lip

Hard to tell from the small photos, but it looked to me like they did.

Goon
    Thanks for your help Captain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ALUMINIUM-GR.../dp/B0049A96ZM

95p. mine weighed 35g bfore drilling.

gives an idea. wouldn't pay that much shipping though! my local hardware shop has them for £1.95

A cheap pot grabber would do the job.

However, if you are wondering about a wire coat hanger, why not just try it out? Do it at home, so you are not left in a jam on the hills, if it doesn't feel sturdy enough at home in your kitchen, don't use it in the wild. If it works then great. (Just remember to try it out properly - manouvering it about whilst sitting/crouching, over the stove you use etc.)