Thread: Pitching in bad weather

Widdler
    Sorry some more questions... I got that wild camping is generally illegal in England Wales etc but what if your only on what's supposed to be a day trip but the weather turns on you, and your too far from anywher safe to stop,would you be aloud to pitch until the weather clears out?

‹bermensch
    Wild camping is not illegal in England and Wales but you have no right to do it without the permission of the landowner. If you are caught camping wild, the only remedy that the landowner has is to require you to leave his property.

The secret is to wait until dusk to pitch your tent in a secluded pitch some distance from human habitation, and to leave at dawn.

I've done it for many, many years and never been discovered.

Hugh.

Widdler
    Sorry I mean like more towards if anyone be bothered if you pitch up just to get through bad weather. If it's needed, and has anyone done so in more common trails? Maybe im imagining to much here?

First, wild camping isn't illegal, it's a civil matter. That means that it's between the landowner/tenant and you to sort out, with the law being firmly on the landowner/tenant's side.

Second, if the weather is really so bad that you have to stop and retreat to your tent, then surely it's bad enough for the landowner/tenant to be indoors too, except he'll be in more comfort.

Third, if I was a landowner/tenant and the police came knocking on my door to tell me that a fully-laden dead backpacker, equipped with tent, sleeping bag, stove, food, etc, had just been zipped into a body bag and carried off my property, I'd probably be thinking... "Why didn't the silly plonker just pitch his tent and wait until the weather cleared?"

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
    ...but what if your only on what's supposed to be a day trip but the weather turns on you, and your too far from anywher safe to stop,would you be aloud to pitch until the weather clears out?
    You carry a tent on day trips?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Nesbit View Post
    You carry a tent on day trips?
    Well... look on the bright side... converting a daysac load to an overnight load could be done by adding only 2kg... just a tent, sleeping bag, stove and cookset.

GOF... you're right to point that out... it's 'illegal'... but not 'criminal'. Too late for me to go back and edit!

i carry a tarp for such purposes as getting out of the weather and the partaking of a fine luncheon and occasionally the mitigation of post prandial somnolence should in excess of an elegant sufficiency of the finest vintages have been partaken of.

if you're sheltering from the rain a bit i can't imagine anyone being that picky - unless you've unpacked of course and look as though you're there to stay.

Widdler
    Kk well I'm hoping to head over to the purlple area of dartmoor so where I know it's allowed just to try things out for the first time and test both myself and my gear I guess! Well I say day pack primeraly cause I just got my new back pack, which is the biggest camera/ hike pack I could afford, and if I bring just my camera and 2 lens I can still fit roughly 30 odd litres of stuff or a little more if I ditch one of the lens behind. Either way so either way it can hold clothes sleeping bag tent mat toiletries torches cups and gas stove plus camera so dunno how far that will get me well I'm hoping that the Coleman cobra or the vango banshee will be small enough the dimensions sudjest they're smaller then my sleeping bag and that's quite small. Anywhere I'm going wrong please high light
    Ps any experience or alternatives to either of those tents going for very small an compact. That I could use either solo or with my partner or buddy

Think I went off topic again...
    Thanks anyway regarding the pitching down I thought it'd be a silly question to ask but Though better ask and know then not ask and not not know
    Thanks again all

Pitching in Wales?

You wouldn't be the first.

‹bermensch
    Infinite

It was not 'a silly question to ask'. One of the functions of this forum is to assist and provide information in a friendly fashion. I've been walking seriously for well over fifty years but still, as many contributors to this forum will know, have to ask basic questions about the use of computers and GPS receivers. I always get helpful replies.

Ask away, we are here to help!

Hugh

Widdler
    Thank you, man I haven't even looked at a gps device let alone think of how to use it. Still using maps or iPhone lol mostly maps though as i don't have to worry about battery life!

Goon

The only place where I think you are going wrong is in the list above.

Cups? More than one needed? Really!

Toiletries? maybe a bit of hand steriliser if you are fussy and some bum wipe.

I've been caught out with the weather a couple of times (without a tent), slept once in a farmyard barn, I didn't break in it was left open, they must have known I was coming

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar
    Don't do it (wild camp) Infinite. This is the slippery slope towards anarchy. People disregarding the law in this manner and actively encouraging breaking the law is symptomatic of just how far our society has slipped. What next? Coveting your neighbour's ox?

Mini Goon

" If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It is much easier to apologize than it is to get permission"

(probably) Grace Hopper

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper