Thread: Garmin Etrex Legend hcx

At the end of my tether trying to download anything with this gps. I managed to download one geocache! I've spend hours trying to figure it out but am fed up wasting precious time. I'm not very technical and am not prepared to spend long hours battling with an expensive bit of kit that should basically just work. I know its probably me or my laptops' fault but can anyone give me any simple pointers? Thanks!

More of an idea of what is going wrong would help....PC/GPS messages and so forth...?

As ed says, what are you using? Memory map, anquet or what ?

Trying to use OS getamap (also tried trailzilla), maybe my laptop needs upgrading and isn't coping with any of it.
    What do sites do you suggest are best for Garmin?

Os getamap is shite. It's a magnitude far worse than even memory map.

Buy some proper mapping. Most are cheap for 50k mapping and will behave nicely with your gps.

There are other ways of doing it if you want, imo, the cheap and difficult to use solutions.

Hi, I'm new to this site and this is my first post...

I've used a Garmin Legend HCx for geo-caching since July 2010, and with it I've had more than 500 finds. I decided to change it for one of the new Garmin Etrex 20's just a few weeks ago. I've got to say that the Legend HCx is a very capable GPS'r. If theres anything that I can help you with then just email me with the details of what you're have problems with and I'll do my best to help. Loading geocaches shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Mapping is another matter that I can help with, full OS based UK maps can also be loaded free of charge - these are regularly updated too - all free!

Email me if you think I can help you.

Best regards,

Croesgadwr (translation = 'Crusader' in Welsh)

Thanks Brian, I will!

number seven

I've managed to download some routes from OS getamap, seems the pc wasn't communicating with the gps properly. Its now dead easy using getamap and I really enjoy mapping the routes online. Thanks for all your help!
    I tried it out on a short walk this morning and more or less got the hang of it. Pen y Fan tomorrow!

No problem...I don't think I actually helped to be honest!

The Legend HCx is a good unit, it only has one problem...that is, at some point in time the rubber band which goes around the sides& covers the USB socket will start to come off, leavingthe brown sticky adhesive messto get everywhere.When this happens contact Garmin and tell them that the GPS is working fine apart from therubber seal coming off. Its an issue well known to them, they will probably offer you a replacement free of charge.This is what they did with me andcountless other Etrex range GPS owners. So long as the unit is functioning correctly then they will replace it. Mention any other 'faults' and they'll charge £45 for an exchange GPS.

Stupid question but does the clip thingy just screw off or do you need a special tool?

When you say "does the clip thingy just screw off...", that suggests that 'clip thingy' is currentlyattached to your Legend? The only clip that came with mine was a small black item with a large(ish) chrome screw towards one end. I never used it because its for attaching the unit to a bike handlebar, I never used it that way. If thats the clip you mean then you should be able to remove it with a small coin, a 5p should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Now then, heres a really stupid question - do you have the owners manual for your GPS. If not then you can download it from the garmin website.

Thanks Croesgawdwr, I'll try a coin, just didn't want to force anything (I'm quite good a breaking stuff).
    Yes I do have the manual somewhere...

Widdler

Croesgawdwr,

Are you still around. I'm having trouble with the drivers and connecting my Legend HCx and wondered if you might be able to help. I've tried using the disk that came with it and downloaded them from the Garmin site:http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00629-00but to no avail.

I'd like to email you direct if you are willing?

Simon