Thread: insulated mugs

Goon

Hi I was thinking of buying an Aladdin insulated mug (350ml) about £5 weight 159g, but then I spotted Sea to Summit's delta insulmug (473ml) costs about £10 and weighs 122g.

Does anyone own the Delta Insulmug ? How do you like it in the winter e.g. camping.?

Any other mugs out there that I should consider ?

thanks for your help!

I don't bother - on day walks in winter I'll take a flask - one of those Zoshiwotsits that keep drinks hot for absolutely ages. When camping I'll have a stove and pot/mug hybrid thingy for drinking out of.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question, but there are alternatives!

Goon

Thanks Katie, when winter camping an insulated mug would keep your hot drinks hot for longer especially one that has a lid with a small hole for drinking through.

Mini Goon

I tend to think that insulated mugs are a solution looking for a problem.....

Camping in winter I have never had a drink get cold before I have finished it from a non-insulated mug, also I prefer to have a metal mug that can be used on the stove if needed.

In addition, I have yet to find a plastic mug that does not retain flavours - and I do not like my coffee to taste of soup!

(That's the second reply that does not answer your question )

Goon

Sorry Kate, mispelt your name there !

"...I have never had a drink get cold before I have finished it". I have. To be honest I don't have much experience in winter camping, but I can remember drinking cool soup or tea and not liking it. Maybe this was because I was distracted doing something else.

Do plastic mugs tend to retain flavours of your last drink, even after a soapy wash, more so than e.g. a titanium mug ?

I suppose slotting your metal mug into a mug cosie would keep your drink warmer for longer

I have used an Aladdin insulated mug for years just for tea and coffee .Formug shots etcI eat out of a smalltitanium mug Iheat it in.I like hot tea so good for me and if you get the one that doesn't taper at the top it will take a pocket rocket in it's case ,a lighter ,spoon, couple of tea bags andlittle bag of dried milk shoved in

I've got one Alistair, i use it in winter for keeping a drink a bit longer on the long dark nights. Its about 114g and i take it on overnighters, i would ditch it if i was trying to get the weight down though (doesnt matter for one or two nights)

I prefer it to a ti cup as it has a lid to stop spillages so i can put to one side and forget about it without worrying about spills. It keeps drinks warm for ages.

I bought it in preference to this which was the other i was thinking about.

In summer i use disposable a polystyrene cup and lid (3g) which lasts one trip.

I've got a little post cosy type thing made out of that insulating metallised bubble wrap stuff (does it have a proper name?) which does the job nicely.

If I'm on my own I find I don't use it a whole lot; without other people to distract me I tend to knock everything back pretty quickly, and usually discover that it hasn't cooled down enough

i quite like using an insulated mug, it works well with a pot. I use it for instant porridge and rehradrating stuff on cold days. When i have kids camping they can have a cup of porridge each and just top the lot up with boiling water.

It functions a bit like a second pot. Its a cheap one.

Ultra King
    I've had the Alladdin for years and it goes everywhere i go. It's also handy for carrying anything a bit fragile.

Hot drink? Drink it before it gets cold. Straight from the pot.

I use ones made by Bodum. Bought for not much in TK Maxx. Worth a look as they always have them in. They are not designed for the outdoors but work well, wash well and last.

Mini Goon
    Insulated mugs work well for this type of thing - sometimes I use one of these to keep chocolate from melting in a hot climate and this works. I think they work fine the other way too.

Mini Goon
    i also got a cheapie from TK Max (£2 i think) and cut the handle off. I use it for drinking water from streams whilst walking and keeping a drink warm while my Ti Pot is tied up on cooking duties in a cosy when camped.

Mini Goon

I now use a life venture mug, doesn't retain flavours and also once the lid is screwed on forms a leak free seal, So forming a mini thermos flask. Brilliant for walking as can just fill it up and sling it in a pocket in my daysack/backpack and then drink a hot brew after a couple of hours walking.

In cold weather this has kept a brew hot/warm up to five hours.

I can see the point of a sealing one being taken as a flask-lite, but in camp I prefer something I can warm my hands up on as well as have a drink out of. I don't want to take hours to drink a brew in camp!

Pete.

Ultra King

I used to use the alladim one back when I was kayaking. I'd fill it up before setting off then drink the contents when we get to the river or if I'm a passenger when travelling up. I also fill it up from a flask after the paddle and leave it on the wall or side while I get changed and pack kit and boats away. Then it is invaluable as the drink is nice and warm still. Essential after a whitewater trip in the depths of winter IMHO. However I do miss out on the handwarming benefits of uninsulated mugs.

Now wildcamping I don't often take it. An overnighter I might but only occasionally. The alladin one (mine is a silver grey) is perfect size to take my UCO mini tealight lantern. The thing fits in perfectly with barely a rattle and it gets protected in transit that way. Since I don't take it that often there is no need for the aladin insulated mug. I prefer to drink from either an uninsulated plastic mug or if trying to drop weight I will use the pot I boiled the water in. I find the drink stays too warm in the Alladin. If I want a drink I want to drink it fairly close to making it. The insulated mugs I have used prevent that as they work too well. The occasions I have let it go cold doesn't bother me as I actually like cold tea, coffee and hot chocolate. I can even bear cold cupasoups. But that is just me.

Apart from the MSR wierdo shape, Alladin, lifeventure cup flasks there are also GSI ones and IIRC Chris Frizzell at outdoorgrub UK sell some too. He used to sell something that looked like an insulated mug with a french press in it. Check his website or pm him on here if you're interested.

Mini Goon

When camping I tend to use my TI mug to heat water/cook then make a brew in it, use my flask/mug for later on when settled in my sleeping bag or as said earlier to use as a mini flask.

As got to agree there is nothing better than warming your hands on a hot brew mug watching the sun go down/ stars come out.

Goon
    I have the Aladdin one but frankly I only used it in cars that didn't have cup holders. I used to put in on the passenger seat and then when i got on the motorway would open it and hold it

I like to be able to hold onto the mug to warm my hands, and I also don't want it to stay hot for ages. I use a single wall snowpeak 450 cup with a pot cosy (including a lid), lets me make things in it (supernoodles, porridge) and then remove it when i want things to cool down quicker - multi use!