Thread: Wild camp in Macgillycuddy's Reeks

Never been, fancy a look round. Is wild camping permitted? If so under what circumstances? Alternatively has anyone stayed ay the Climbers Inn?

I've not wildcamped in the Reeks, John, but I've spent a fortnight in that area of Kerry every year for the last 12 years and done a fair amount of walking in the hills with a friend who lives locally. There's nothing like the same rights of access / tolerance of walkers that we've become accustomed to in the UK, the farmers' lobby is still very strong, and there's still quite a strong 'get orf my land' approach in many areas.

The Reeks are privately owned by a number of families, including the Macgillycuddys at Cronin's Yard, one of the most popular access routes for Carrauntoohil.

However, I do know people who've wildcamped without problems. I think you just need to be extremely discreet!

Not been to the Climbers' Inn, but it's right in the middle of the Iveragh peninsula which is a fantastic place. There's a campsite at Loch Acoose on the minor road that runs from Killorglin to Glencar.

Thanks for the swift reply. However......

Might have to reconsider the trip. Route planning - ferry Swansea to Cork £268, plus fuel from Derbyshire to Wales then round Killarney and back.

Flight Manchester to Shannon £75. Are local transport links OK?

Both the above are return journeys. Aren't we supposed to be Green and things?

Hi John,

I am from Cork so the Reeks is my backyard.

Shannon has good transport links, check out cie.ie (Irish bus)

The main issue with public transport in Ireland is it may be awkward to get to the hills.

Twosuggestion off the top of my head would be to get the bus to Killarney and get a taxi to Kate Kearneys Cottage at the Gap of Dunloe or to the foot of Mangerton.

As Kate mentioned Wild cmaping is fine once your discreet.

Any questions let me know.

Cheers,

Stephen

The Swansea / Cork route is expensive because it's such a long crossing. It's not running at the moment, and I don't know when (if indeed) it'll start up again.

Have a look at the Holyhead route. Ireland has benefited from EU funding and has an increasingly good road network, including a motorway that'll take you quite a bit of the way from Dublin towards Kerry.

There is also a reasonable bus network, Bus Eireann - timetables on their website.

Or if you do decide to fly, see if you can get one to Kerry Airport which is just outside Killorglin.

Thank you for the replies.

Does dicreet mean quiet as in the Lake District, or almost invisible as in some parts of Scotland? I am too old to be legging it over the moors in the dead of night..............

I think you will be fine once you dont pitch near a dwelling.

Ultra King

As Stephen says, discreet as in :-

Away from buildings/dwellings, try to pitch as late as you can. Strike as soon as can AND no wildfires.

I've camped this way for many years and have yet to be asked to move.

Splendid.

Thank you all for the replies. Now then.........

Can anyone recommend a good way of telling my wife I won't be going to her mother's at Easter?

Oh, and case she doesn't kill me, am I OK to use this as an accurate forecast?

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/mountain-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&site=E IGMOL;Macgillycuddey%27s%20Reeks

It's ok. I also use the Met Eireann website and BBC.

Oh, and there's a weather station at Cahersiveen at the end of the Iveragh peninsula, so if the prevailing conditions er... prevail... you can see what's coming.

Initiate
    You can usually get some special offer on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry. Make sure you arrive in Dublin either very early, or very late, otherwise you will spend an hour of so just getting out of the city.

If you haven't driven in Ireland before be prepared for journeys taking much longer than you thought. Although the EU has spent billions on upgrading the roads, once you are off the new super highways journeys can be slow.

Ireland is still very expensive, even after their economic collapse, so it's worth taking as much as you can with you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory 3 View Post

Thank you for the replies.

Does dicreet mean quiet as in the Lake District, or almost invisible as in some parts of Scotland? I am too old to be legging it over the moors in the dead of night..............

I'm confused by your 'almost invisible' in Scotland. You can camp legallyalmost anywhere up here. You don't need to be out of sight.

When i camped in the Reeks, i used the route from Killarney that Stephen mentioned. I walked about a mile past the last farmhouse, climbed a few hundred metres uphill, then put my tent up. When i woke up in the morning, two Dutch folk were camping about 10 feet way from me. I never heard them arriving during the night. On speaking to them in the morning, they were worried about illegal camping. They spotted my tent up on the hill, so thought that i must be on a legal spot!

I didn't intend an slight on Scots in general or particular, but I still recall the night I was asked, quite forcefully, to remove myself and my chattels from their current location. As far as I know there were no signs either on the map, on the ground or in the local tourist offices saying I shouldn't be there, but they had the dogs and sticks so I allowed them the benefit of the doubt.

Have to say that was a one-off, and it was some years ago. Apologies if I've caused confusion.

I never thought for a minute that what you said was a slight, John.

The Scottish parliament passed a law a few years ago making it legal to camp almost anywhere. You wouldn't get anyone asking you to move on these days. To be honest, before the law was passed, folk camped freely anyway. Only once in many years of campingwas i asked to move on by a landowners minion. I told him to feck off.