Thread: Talkback: Paramo Launches New Grid Baselayers For 2012

‹bermensch
    This range might have grids for heat dissipation, but does it have anything for smell neutralisation? My ossasional encounters with Paramo base layers, whether worn by me or by others, have always been memorable for the pong involved. At those prices they ought to have sorted this... but have they?

Never found my reversible tops (an Explorer and a Mountain Shirt IIRC) problematical on that front (and I'm sure Roos would have pointed out if she had...).

Beyond that, I can't see what a grid pattern will really do to change that facet much.

Pete.

Nothing Presumably silver treatments and the like help, but maybe they don't like the enviromental consqeuences of that (as per Pattaguici say) and haven't found an alternative?

Interesting to see these being made in the UK and still basically price competitive.

Goon
    I took part in the trial of these and I was really impressed. Essentially I bought the top for £10 which enabled me to keep it after the trial. Basically I used it for 3 months and provided Paramo with the feed back. After completing the trial, I then got a discount code valid for 3 months on Paramo kit.

I'd definitely do something like that again :-)

Good to see Paramo using Remploy to manufacture them. They employ disabled folk.

‹bermensch
    For once I agree with Mike .

"Prices range from £45 to £60 with the women's range being a fiver per garment less"

Why? Because the women's range is going to be in typical yukky Paramo ladies colours so no one'll want to buy them?

ladies use less material because ladies are delicate and generally sylph like.

and the yukky colours...

i've never had a problem with their base layers smelling either. and since using oxy clean (or similar) in the wash it's eliminated others odour too. so thanks to whoever gave us that piece of advice.

Its more 'logical' than that - looking at the pictures there seems to be a womens round neck @45, Mens plain zip neck @50, Womens plainish zip neck with thumb loops @55 and mens zip neck + pocket + thumb loops @60.

Presumably they couldn't work out how to put the pocket on the womens top (although plenty fit them in round the sides somewhere) and wanted to keep enough of a difference for two types in both ranges.

The colours look fine really.

Goon
    Remploy was originally formed to employ disabled Servicemen in 1945 after WW 2 specifically to meet the terms of the 1944 Disabled Persons (Employment) Act. It opened it's first factory at Bridgend in 1946.

For a long tome it produced various items of equipment for UK Armed Forces including the venerable right angle green Torch.

Really good to see Paramo using them to produce this kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Moel Hebog View Post
    I took part in the trial of these and I was really impressed. Essentially I bought the top for £10 which enabled me to keep it after the trial. Basically I used it for 3 months and provided Paramo with the feed back. After completing the trial, I then got a discount code valid for 3 months on Paramo kit.

I'd definitely do something like that again
    So I have some of the Cambia range, I find them good for on their own in hot conditions for being cool, but they are not used often due to rapid pong, ok for wearing just for a day and then in the wash, but I use silver-ion types and Merino for multiple-day for pong reasons. All of the Cambia suffer rapid pong within a couple of hours, even when new and no accumulations.

The reversible shirts don't pong as quickly, possibly because the bagginess keeps them further from the armpits? They can go for some days between washes.

So you were in the trial, what was ponginess like?

As to the Grid concept, it makes sense as something warm when under a windproof but not warm on their own, plus if you've got one of the lots-of-vents waterproofs like a Quito then you'd get a magnified insulation effect. The problem though is made worse of making something easily too-warm already even warmer and for which a Cambia Tee as a base with an overlayer for when needed would cover a wider range of output I suspect albiet with more total weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post
    Good to see Paramo using Remploy to manufacture them. They employ disabled folk.
    Agreed - good on them.

Pong? - use base wash. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lawrence 2 View Post
    So every 4 hours on a 2 week backpack, you would stop to heat up water and wash it? How much base wash would that add up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lawrence 2 View Post
    So every 4 hours on a 2 week backpack, you would stop to heat up water and wash it? How much base wash would that add up to?
    My experience is with Cambia. Agree, about 4 hours til pongy enough to need a wash is my experience too if sweating. Basically means its a low-activity baselayer. I find cool-side its the coolest base I have.

I also find its longer to dry from washed.

Those two combined means its just not a multi-day baselayer whatsoever. Not really an outdoors active fabric hence. Mine gets used for non-outdoorsy reasons, like its plain black and looks smartish and as I tend to run hotter than most I'm sat for dinner wearing one. Nothing to do with outdoorsy.

Inference is this Grid product is going to be warmer and so stinkier earlier?

Tried my new Grid technical top out today,walked from Rydal to Grasmere with my Border Terrier,started walk with just this top (and shorts) very comfortable with sleeves rolled up and vent open,found weird chest pocket very handy for specs when not needed, caught in a shower so put on montane e -vent shell,this does make me run warmer (I like being warm) after rain stopped back off with shell and soon cooled downor ratherwas just right temp for me, then having lunch (shared with Dexter) Heavens opened sheltered under tree, shell back on and sleeves on Paramo rolled down and neck zipped up = snug and dry. (waterproof legs are my own)Glad to get the bus home rather than standing in the rain, really pleased withthis topon such a changable day.

about 4 hours til pongy enough to need a wash is my experience too. [/QUOTE]

Perhaps the idea is that you not only get to look like a tramp, but you can smell like one two? You have to admit, it's a clever marketing angle.

Neil you quoted me saying that about Cambia. The question is the Grid quick pongy like Cambia? I got the reversible shirt type fabric and it doesn't pong so quick talking days, possible because its loose and not so pressed again stinky hiker?

I'm spending 10 days hiking/biking/camping in the Lakes next month, I'd like to wear 1 top and carry 1 top and wash/swap infrequently. If Grid is like Cambia I'd not even bother, I'd have to wash twice a day or avoid indoors like evening a pub. Tramp, you got it right. I'm probably going to stick to wearing a silver-ion Berghaus and carry on, wear both when cold and wash one every 3 days. Paramo-free baselayer due to pong.

Paramo seems to be the item you pick for a day hike but multi-day its either too warm or packed large for insulation, or smells.