Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: New Review - The North Face Point Five Jacket

Ultra King
    Distinctive new colour scheme? Oh yes, it's distinctive o.k. but who would wear it?

That is horrid.

My eyes, my eyes!

Ha ha, at least it's not always the women's colours that are !

Ultra King

If you like those colours I can recommend a visit to Epicentre's top floor of the Ambleside shop. It sells off good stuff very cheap IF you can bear the colours that noone else would wear. We are talking those awful greens that OM told us was THE colour for 2012 season. Oranges that would make any citrus fruit rot before your eyes.

Still, they are good clobber at amazing prices so perhaps it's a compromise worth it for top notch clothing??

Nah! Only joking!

BTW please be aware that MHW cags like point 5 are kind of a boxy fit. Good for the average height, average girth punter.

Well, it is a bit nicer on the eye than this!

Oh no, Lemming, that one's an absolute classic! I'm sure the Harlequins rugby squad love it anyway.

The person designing it mustbe colour blind or on Magic Mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Mawr View Post
    Distinctive new colour scheme? Oh yes, it's distinctive o.k. but who would wear it?
    I think it is quite nice And I would wear it!

Hmmm, turquoise and orange doesn't really do it for me. If I went night walking a lot I'd be less bothered but I wouldn't walk into a pub wearing it.

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptical Bastard (Skip) View Post
    Hmmm, turquoise and orange doesn't really do it for me. If I went night walking a lot I'd be less bothered but I wouldn't walk into a pub wearing it.
    And isn't that the crux of the wearability of a hard shell? Could you wear it down the pub?

Ultra King
    I have a nice sober coloured montane softshell for pub. You never get too wet walking to the pub so hard shell not really needed. So perhaps a bright hard shell is not too bad. Afterall who hasn't had one of those really bright orange cags at one point in their outdoors life?!! Or is that showing my age / how long I've been walking in the hills?

Ultra King
    I have an orange Superfly, an irridescent blue Marmot Super Mica with bright yellow zips, a red ME Firefly, a black and grey Venture and a pine green Velez smock.

Ultra King
    But did you have those completely unbreathable, orange cags, the virtually flouro ones?? You could get as a jacket or smock and you got as wet wearing them as not. Also had those really long and thick hood cords that would smack you in the face every time the wind blew!!

Ultra King
    Had those, heavyweight ones with matching overtrousers, for our route planning and night navigation exercise and exam in the Black Mountains in 73 when I was in the RN.

Widdler
    Why the resistance to bright fresh colour schemes? I've recently returned to the UK to find the shops stocked with with uninspiring black and dark green garments. It's Dull.

I think it is something to do with people wanting to pass through the countryside unobserved... but then arguably they should go for camouflage and MoD gear

Im with you on the colours though. Its nice with something else than black and grey!

Ultra King

I like black with red zips like my MRT limited edition Montane windshirt. Looks good, fairly sober colour scheme but has a bit of colour to the zips and transfers on the arm.

I also like my bright blue Rab VR jacket. Think they call it "ink" or something. Colour is nice but I do think if any colour is verging on flourescent it is ot nice IMHO. Also I don't suit green of any shade especially the near flourescent lime green!!

Ultra King
    Cammo is not the only colourway to enable you to pass through the countryside les intrusively. It is as much going in sober colours as trying to actually match the terrain you are passing through. Have you tried to see a simple green tarp from a bit of a distance away? I am not talking a green that matches the vegetation neither but a totally different colour that is obvious when up close but get a few hundred metres away it then is hard to spot. Same thing with people too, can be hard to spot from a distance in the hills. Even with blue clothing or some other colour that is not the same as the vegetation although I do think some of these near flouro colours are different.