Thread: Norway

Widdler
    We're off to Norway in August to stay with family who live near Honefoss (about an hour north of Oslo, I think). Given the price of beer in Norway, it could be a good opportunity to get out and about. Does anyone know much about walking/climbing in Norway? Can I get decent maps etc? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

I'll just bump you and wait for spiritburner to reply as he goes regularly and sits in snow holes or ski's with a big pack on for some strange reason.

Widdler
    Norway is proper bo, i tell thee.

Was out there a few years ago, the place is just one big wilderness play ground, lots of rock climbing to be had, higest peak is about 2500m and part of a massif with a glacier, out of season at moment but lots of very accessable ice climbing, etc, etc. Walking wise there's loads too, well marked routes, good maps, mountain hut network.
    In short, you'll not go far wrong (unless you decide to pay a visit to one of the ski resorts in the summer and try mountain biking down the black runs! - hey, lifes an adventure!)

Widdler
    Sounds good. Still doesn't score highly in the cheap beer stakes though. Was out there earlier this year (flying visit for a wedding, no chance to see much) and felt a little uneasy paying the thick end of £8 for a beer (not even a pint)!
    Makes it seem a lot cheaper when you get back to the local and its only £2.10 I suppose

I've done plenty:
    http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~anthonyd/norway

This guy's done plenty:
    www.hordafjell.com

There's an online clickable map here that goes right down to streetlevel with all the 1:50,000 relief data:
    http://ngis2.statkart.no/norgesglasset/default.html

There's an entire forum dedicated to Norwegian mountains here (mostly Norwegian, but they also answer english questions + they have links to a few other sites of interest):
    www.fjellforum.net

Whether norway is cheap or expensive really depends on how you do it! I go wild camping, so my costs are limited to transport (which can be quite cheap if there are wings attached!)

Oh yes, the all important weather forecast:
    www.met.no

Enjoy!

Anthony

‹bermensch
    The Norwegian Statenskartverk maps at 1:50000 are good.
    The price of booze (& most other stuff) is horrendous - with a bit of luck the family you stay with might have a still. Making your own spirit is legal over there. My friend is Oslo makes it & drinks it with Crown Cola - very drinkable but creeps up on you very suddenly!