Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can you enter multi day route into one google map?

Hi. Happily went out with my new Garmin Dakota 20 and recorded a 5 day route: 5 tracks and 5 sets of waypoints. Connect it up and google maps only shows half of the first days route ( 6 hours worth or so).Have read something that there is a limit to the number of points you can enter in one map but could not work out a solution.

Is there any way I can get all the info on one google map ( ie show the whole route rather than have to have a separate map per day?

thanks

You could try uploading your gpx file to here: http://maps.the-hug.net/

or here: http://openmaps.the-hug.net/ and see if they load.

And do tell me if they do/dont as I'd be interested.

(Assuming it's the UK)

thanks Beth, but it is peru not UK

Yeah, I realised after I parsed your username that it might not be UK. Oh well.

Sorry. I haven't used GE much to hit the limits.

thanks for the answer anyway

Goon
    I have put a 10 day route with more than 10 tracks into GE without problems. Have you tried looking at the tracks on Garmin's own software (mine is MapSource, but I don't know for the Dakota). If the track is missing on there, then it would be because you reached the device's memory limit for tracks.

The dakota will record 10,000 trackpoints - what it records as it goes along.

Once you use those 10,000 points that's it.
    Depending upon the frequency you set for recording points it's possible you've run out of points.

When you save a track it saves the trackpoints and therefore reduces the total number of available free trackpoints for the next track.

I hope i'm wrong.

Goon
    I have an eTrex Vista, which also has a 10,000 trackpoint limit. To last out a 10-day trip, I have to set it to record at minimal frequency (which still works out as a detailed track). If you're moving farther and faster, I'd guess you'd reach the limit sooner. You should be able to record tracks to a microSD card as well, which I assume will give you a bigger capacity. If you have had the divice set up to record tracks to the SD card, you could try downloading the tracks directly from the card. Disclaimer: I'm no expert on this!

Thanks for the replies. Just looking again opening up each track in EasyGPS, it would appear the two longest days have both been cut short, one at 4600 or so track points, and the other at 4900 or so trackpoints. Not sure why the difference?

The days in order went 4653, 2953,4901,3346 and 2064 track points each. Only the two 4000 plus days have been shortened. I archived each track at the end of the day, and cleared the current track, so not sure why if there is a 10,000 limit the first day did not make 10,000 or why I have a total of 14571 plus some previous saved tracks? ( or why it did not record for the first two days and then run out of trackpoints and stop?)

The gps has an 8 gig memory card in it, does anyone know what you do to set it up to record onto that as opposed to the internal memory?

And what interval do people set it up to record to, looks like I had it at 100 metres.

It seemed to record the distances anyway, so I can draw the missing tracks back on, and all the waypoints seem to have saved so all is not lost but would be nice to have it set up better next time

thanks

Save each half day whatever as a track in itself then join them up on my computer. Thats what I do.

i see you can save onto an SD card which is what i assume you did. perhaps you didn't save everything to card but to the unit? you'd have to wade through the manual to find out wher it saves by default. i would suggest it always saves to the unit by default or gives you a choice - save something and see wheer it goes..

if the track just stopped then you hit the trackpoint limit (you can, or used to be able to, set the track to either stop or to overwrite from the start)

if you can save to an SD card then the unit's limits are less problematical - albeit that's of little use to you now. save to the SD card and clear the track and everything out. twice a day seems reasonable.

the save frequency depends upon terrain and why you are saving it. in terrain that involves twists and turns in the track then a frequent saving is better. where you'e straight lining or it's bleedin' obvious then a less frequent is ok. think about what would happen if you use the unit to trackback (one of its great features so use it) - would you be able to follow the trackback accurately in fog/the dark e.g. 100m not too handy if you need to pay attention where you're going.

i think you've discovered some of the joys of learning to use a gps properly. once you get the hang of the beastie it becomes much more enjoyable.

Goon
    On the Vista, you can set it up to record to the SD card from the tracks page, under "set up". This is where you can also choose "wrap when full" or not. If this is selected, when you reach the track limit, it continues to record by overwriting the data on the first track, rather than just stopping recording.

Goon
    If you choose to save to SD, my Vista still continues to save it to the devices internal memory as well.

it will continue to use the internal memory because that's where it stores active data. when saved to the SD reset all the internal data to free up all the trackpoints.

ignore my last post, getting bleary eyed. Just looking on the gps at the archived tracklogs, view as map. And it has recorded the complete tracklog for the whole 5 day trek.

so the problem is what I originally suspected, it is one of getting the info into google maps. For instance on the first day, it shows about two thirds of the track only. Google maps when you click import says there is a limit of 10mb but this track is only 515 kb. The whole 5 days fall well within the 10MB limit.

You cannot record directly to the sd card by the way ( apparently)

cheers

You could always go down the GPS logger route as well; I use one just for fun - they are pretty accurate and don't tend to pull as much power as a navigational GPS unit.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Have you looked at the GPX file to see what period of time it covers? You can probably change the data log rate to make it log positions less frequently, but over a longer period.

Page 24 of the Dakota User Manual discusses changing track logging rate. Sadly, I can't see any mention of maximum number of points.

So, the question is; is the limitation caused by the Garmin data logging, or by Google's display. My guess would be that it's the former.

If not, get a GPS data logger that will allow you to change the sample rate; they're cheap.

[edit: lots of useful replies since I started replying at lunchtime...]

Yeah I had considered a gps logger but one more bit of kit. Definitely a google maps problem though as I can see the complete track when I view it on gps ( view as map)

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> Definitely a google maps problem though as I can see the complete track when I view it on gps ( view as map)

Well, in that case, look at what sample interval you actually need.

Let's say we have a 10k point track limit, and an 8-hour day. That's 8*3600/10000 seconds per sample, or just under 3 seconds per sample. A more sensible sample rate might be once per minute, giving 8*60 = 480 samples in a day, and an inter-point distance of about 70m @ 4kph.

ok, posted on the google map forum and got this answer:

This is a well known limitation of Google Maps, it splits long tracks into multiple pages when imported into My Maps, or Custom Maps as they are now called.
    Host the track in a publicly accessible server and search Google Maps for its URL. This method will not split the track into multiple pages, but it has the disadvantage that you can only edit the original track.
    Otherwise, forget about Google Maps and import your tracks into Google Fusion Tables, which has its own visualization feature based on Google Maps.