Thread: gps co-ord show wrong in google maps/earth

Hi. I am just trying to create trekking maps using google maps with all the co-ordinates I have saved in my GPS. Now the co-ordinates tally with the paper maps but when I put them into google maps in lat long format, I always get shown a location a few miles away.This is Peru, not UK but should not make a difference. Any ideas please. I am using a garmin etrex set to WGS 84 map datum.
    Thanks

I guess that would indicate that google maps use a different datum, I would suspect that if that is the case someone, somewhere has created a site to convert between the two.

Good luck

Steve D

I googled that earlier and appears to be the same datum. Worth a shot though, thanks.

Goon
    Have you checked the latitude and longitude are in the same units for both your gps and google maps? Decimal degrees, degrees decimal minutes, degrees minutes seconds or universal transverse mercator?

Thank you all for the responses, I have just realised I have been an idiot and was looking at the red A marker that google maps put up. When I eventually zoomed right out I saw a little green marker, precisely where is should be. So I have it working and can now go and make some maps!!

thanks again

mark

Initiate
    I am looking at google maps to get a map of Mercedario in Argentina. I have a reasonable map pieced together using publisher. How do I get any grid onto it for use of GPS? Lat /long or UTM or any system would help!

Do you use Oxiexplorer? If so then if the map (sections) have Coords on you can upload as an image file and geometrically correct sections - usually small sections work best (I scan mine at A4).

If that won't work perhaps try Google Earth and look at the information there (it is fairly accurate IME - though that is for Western Europe mainly).

To check or attempt to establish accuracy if there are any routes for the area you intend to visit on a resource like Wikiloks for instance you can download .gpx files from there and see how they look 'on the ground' with GE...?

Thanks for all the advice everyone, ed h especially. I had never heard of oxiexplorer, but have since downloaded it and it works great with the scans of the maps I already had. thank you again

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    For future reference, it's OziExplorer...