Thread: NEW BOOT HELL (What to do)

Widdler

OK this will be my first post...

In the summer I did the Coast to Coast walk & it basically finished off my old boots, a pair of Haglofs Hawks, & on replacing I found Haglofs no longer make the Hawk & no local stores stock the new Model that is similar the Jaunt...

So after trying on many boots I have decided to go with the Meindel Softline GTX. it felt fantastic in the shop, However in practice it is a different story, the boot is rubbing & causing heat on my heels on steep uphill stretches!

I think this is becuse the heel box is so snug it is not allowing my feet to pronate without touching the boot & the boot fabric is stiff.

Do I continue with this boot in the hope that it becomes comfortable? or should I return it & get a different boot??

Has any one else had any issues like this from a new boot?

Thanks

James

I agree with GOF. There is too much movement in the heel, causing rubbing as the heel moves up and down.

You should have worn shoes.

try this to lock your heel into place inside the boot

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar

I don't understand the mechanics of it, but there's definitely something about heel cup design which isextremely important.

For boring reasons I won't go into, I can't take shoes/boots that are laced tight, so the conventional wisdom of lace the shoe/boot tight (whether at the top, middle, bottom or all three!)to keep your heel in place does not work for me -- that would be major pain!

I have found that choosing the right shoe/boot enables me to have the looser lacing that keeps my feet happy and also keeps my heel in the heel cup with no rubbing.

Finding that right shoe/boot is another matter entirely, mind! I recently went through a whole rigmarole to get a new pair of walking shoes -- the same as the old ones, discounted as they are discontinued.

So I'd say just keep searching for the right fit and don't give into "oh these are a great brand" or "just lace it tighter" or "you need third-party footbeds at ££££££" etc.

‹bermensch
    Back to basics,GOF's right. Where there's heat there's friction,
    stopping the heel movement should cure the rubbing of heel against
    boot surface. Padded/lined boots often feel very comfortable
    just to wear, but fit very close around the foot not allowing
    the foot to breath/stay cool, this is most noticeable until you have
    compressed the padded lining to your own foot shape, they often
    then improve.I personally don't like padded linings waterproof or not.
    They never dry overnight on a trip and weigh a ton.

I agree with Chris. I have slim feet/narrow ankles and some boots fit fine but many do not and they are the ones that result in heel rubbing (Haglunds bumps don't help). Unfortunately it is very difficult to tell in a shop which will be comfortable after a few miles walking, by which time it is too late to return them. If they do rub the heel, there is very little that can be done to prevent it - I spent ages trying everything with a pair of Mantas but nothing would stop the rubbing.

I can only emphasise. There is nothing nicer than having a pair of boots that you trust and feel like a second skin.

However, one of the things I hate most is trying to find a new pair. It's one of the most risky potentially costly things you can buy.

You can try them on indoors till you're blue in the face, but my experience, there is almost no way you can completely tell if they fit until you wear them in anger. At which point of course, it is to late to get your money back.

I bought some Meindl Borneo Pros a while back. They felt great in the shop, they felt great wondering around the house. The first time I wore them out they rubbed my heels horribly, and didn't get any better with tweaking from then on. I ended up buying a new pair of my old boots and writing them off as an expensive experiment and backup boots for casual-ish wear.

However, having said that, I did wear the Meindls to Glastonbury this year, and after 5 days trudging around in mud they do feel a lot better. So maybe the full leather upper means there is hope for wearing them in, especially with careful lacing and sock choices. I'd do it little by little though, it's not worth destroying your feet over.

I broke in a new pair of boots walking Hadrian's Wall with very heavy kit over five days and ruined my feet... I didn't fancy that kind of punishment again. The next time I got new boots I tried a few things, these are the ones that seemed to make a difference:

Soak your feet in strongly brewed tea- I read about this and it really does harden your feet up. If you do lots of regular walking already, it may not help much but it toughened mine considerably.

Compeed anti blister stick (lubricant)- to reduce friction blisters. Much better than vaseline.

...and, obviously, liberal application of compeed blister plasters if it looks like the situation is going to worsen.

These three should make you comfortable enough to break them in over a few days. It just takes time, on the next trip after Hadrian's Wall, I had no problems at all and the boots were very comfy.

There is one more thing I can think of that may help you:

Superfeet insoles- I was recommended these by one of my friends who is a Navy Pilot and in boots all day, they reduce foot pain in general by correcting posture and stopping your feet rocking inwards with cushioning/support in all the right places (under the arch and around the heel in particular). They also protect from any soreness caused by impact bruising etc.

I think they may help you in particular because you could do your boots up to normal tightness, and when you flex your foot the insoles would give to allow movement instead of the boots rubbing.

Hope this helps!