Thread: Talkback: New From Paramo For Spring 2012

They really do seem to be being willfully perverse in recent times

Surely a major point of gridded stuff is that the surface area in contact with the skin is kept relatively low? Thus brinje mesh, Buffalo etc being so effective.

Suppose its very likely reversible anyhow.

Initiate
    The grey Paramo Grid baselayer looks nice

Quito trousers "Out now. There's a women's version on the way for next spring too."

WHY, WHY, WHY? Why bring out the men's now and not the women's as well? Paramo always do this. It's bloody annoying, Paramo, think about your customers!

Suppose its very likely reversible anyhow.

Only if you like wearing zips against your bare skin...

willfully perverse because of your perceptions of what something should be or daringly innovative?

Now that really is perverse, because they've done zipped reversible shirts before. Or do they have the same problem?

As for why its a strange idea a proiri they really will work notably better with the grid facing in when layered under things. Or for that matter when used to give a bit of warmth without a shell. This sort of thing allows so much air flow you lose a lot of the warmth with it by itself already, but not all of it.

If they offered it as a reversible top it'd 'just' be amusingly odd, or maybe even useful Fixed this way round, its just a bit odd.

"... a female-friendly hood too, which will accommodate pony-tails...."

Conjures up images of something like this, but in Analogy fabric of course

Perhaps the 'tunnels' could be wired so that once you've inserted your pony tails up them you can arrange them in whatever style you fancy?

doesn't matter really martin. i'm not going to judge them without seeing them as i have no idea what the fabric is like.

may be just as whacky and illogical as the arms...or a waterproof you wear all day and not carry..it's soooo heavy.

and i wonder how it behaves when it's proofed.

Initiate
    Parky,Its a base layer why would you want to proof a base layer?
    But then I did once wonder what would happen if I proofed my hair with Nikwax TX Direct but I resisted the urge to try that one

Eh, photos in article very clear. Some sort of smooth face with a gridded inner, which (by design) faces out. This is a very well known construction, so you can tell what it'll do.

In fact they tell us that themselves Essentially it'll give warmth when worn under a shell, but (almost) none when worn by itself. Entirely as you'd expect.

The major drawback to that of course is of course that you simply can't wear it as a stand alone fleece/thermal base layer! Compared to that the (non trivial) issues from it being the wrong way round are merely calculated to baffle/niggle.

And allof this correctable with a reversible zip design!

If you're wondering how it'll deal with saturation, the answer is not half as well as when worn the 'right' way round The smooth part will hold a lot more moisture next to skin than the grids.

On the outside grows the furside. On the inside grows the skinside.
    So the furside is the outside and the skinside is the inside.
    As the skinside is the inside (and the furside is the outside)
    One ‚??side' likes the skinside inside and the furside on the outside.
    Others like the skinside outside and the furside on the inside
    As the skinside is the hard side and the furside is the soft side.
    If you turn the skinside outside, thinking you will side with that ‚??side',
    Then the soft side furside's inside, which some argue is the wrong side.
    If you turn the furside outside ‚?? as you say, it grows on that side,
    Then your outside's next the skinside, which for comfort's not the right side.
    For the skinside is the cold side and your outside's not your warm side
    And the two cold sides coming side-by-side are not the right sides one ‚??side' decides.
    If you decide to side with that ‚??side', turn the outside furside inside
    Then the hard side, cold side, skinside's, beyond all question, inside outside.

Did you just make that up, Kate?

No, of course not. I just assumed it would be so well known by outdoorsy people that I didn't need to include a reference...

Herbert Ponting, The Sleeping Bag.

I think i'll wait and see rather than guess

But at worst its rather educated guesswork....

Actually if they really wanted quirky but (very) functional and layering only they should have gone for outright mesh. Just too left field I suppose!

Fun poem

Curiosity graham.

I see a "base" layer that is warmer than their current offering. A warmer layer that won't stay wet forever like merino does. An addition to the system.

Video of the Mirada is out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g5Xj0zpaNc

Is available now from Foothills if you've subscribed to their mailing list £189 carriage paid.

Also noticed there's quite a bit removed from Paramo's suite, gone are items like the male windproof jacket, there's just the smock and the pitzip windproof jacket. The women keep a windproof jacket. The male reversible hooded jacket gone, but the female retained. Lots of the Trek'n'Travel variety in the new range is much reduced, explains why so much has been on sale for so long by Paramo on ebay.

The Mirada, I notice a few design issues, one is the pockets are at pack belt height, I guess because chest pockets have competition for space on female? Other than that has many Quito-like features with the pitzips.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > A warmer layer that won't stay wet forever like merino does.

I confess that I don't find that merino stays wet forever. In fact, in my limited tests, I've not found that it takes longer to dry than synthetics of the same weight. Admittedly, I don't use merino for warmth layers.

I made some investment in merino a few years ago, having 3 different weights to compare. Two things for sure, it is warmer than synthetics, comparing like-for-like thinnest possible materials. wool when its thin just decomposes, whilst you can make synth thin but yet still strong synthetics, comparing say 150g merino with say cycling synthetic tops, and wool absorbs more water and takes longer to dry than synthetics. So wool is not a warm-weather top for me. However, at the opposite end, adding a little more weight to a wool, like 250g weight it adds substantially more weight than the same weight in synthetic practically being a mid-layer replacement. So if its warm I have to be in thin synthetic if its cold then midweight wool makes a lot of sense.

Paramo Cambia is the stinkiest baselayers I ever owned, barely half-day til stinky that original and the newer varieties, the silver-ion stuff was good initially but now lasts only a day, Merino seems to last days even after a few years of use. So Merino wins on pong both new and when old.

Not tried any of the newer Paramo baselayer.

Back from a week touring USA southwest, Sierra Nevada snowball fights at 10,000ft, sweating at 200ft below sealevel in Death Valley, walking full length of Vegas strip in 90F and shivering on rim of Grand Canyon. I had some Merino baselayers but mostly it was a synthetic base for hot, Montane softsheel for cool, Paramo Torres gilet to get to cold.