Thread: Talkback: Black Mountains - Crug Hwyel/Llanbedr Horseshoe

Widdler

I did this walk a few months back. What a marathon. It didn't help I'd bruised my heel about 10k in, and I literally hauled myself round on my poles the rest of the way.

Notable points are it is horrendously boggy on Waun Fach; that the Trig point at Crug Mawr in good visibility is the highlight of the day - as you can see virtually the whole route you have walked; and thepub is a good place to rest the weary legs after.

I'm doing this again tomorrow as I'm determined to get round without injury and improve on the 7.5 hours it took me last time....

If you are starting on Pen cerrig-calch and finishing on Pen twyn mawr I did the same walk last weekend, I thought it was pretty easy as there is hardly any hard ascents to speak of and the ground is good underfoot apart from Waun Fach as you mentioned, but that sort of bog is pretty standard stuff in a lot of places.

And I nearly knocked myself out on the door frame in the pub in Llanbedr, they had a nice IPA on in there which name escapes me, it was almost transparent, but tasty

If the route uploady thing on here ever works I will upload the GPX file of the route.

its a classic walk but prefer the vantage point at Pen Allt Mawr for all round views. Can be easily added to to make a superb 2 dayer inc a wildcamp

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar
    I'd like to walk the horse-shoe. I went up Waun Fach via Y-Grib a couple of years ago (parked at the Castle Inn at Castle Dinas). I only saw 3 folks but lots of gliders (there is a nearby club). Great part of the world.

I did this walk yesterday, only about 10m visibility on Pen Cerrig-calch, but improved by the time I got to Waun Fach. Very mixed weather, everytime I put my waterproof on it stopped raining 5 mins later! Saw only 2 people and they were right at the start of the walk.

Bog not too bad on Waun Fach... but then I am used to the Peak District

I did this route virtually by accident last Sunday (21st August) Started in Llanbedr and did it anticlockwise finishing at Table Top in just over 7 hours so was quite pleased to see 8 hours plus seems to be the normal quoted time. Was absolutely knackered at the end of the walk though but pub in Llanbedr is just great; also minimal bog at top of Waun Fach, probably the driest (or least wet) I have ever seen. As usual saw very few people all day. Was horrified by the horrendous mess the Forestry Commission have left along the side of Waun Fach....loo
    ks like some scene from Ypres First World War battle. Shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!

Did this sometime in the early spring i think, looks bad in places it has to be said

A lot of forestry has been felled round the Beacons in the last 2 years or so, and some of it has been left like the above photo. No idea how long it might remain like that, but the Forestry Commission in South Wales has been very busy lately with outbreaks of phytophthora ramorum disease in larch trees and has had to fell several areas of forestry. Perhaps they don't have the resources to deal with the aftermath of this felling near Waun Fach and other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post
    with outbreaks of phytophthora ramorum disease
    try saying that after a few sherbets

Widdler
    Camping up there tonight, doing the walk tomorrow and the weather is awesome!

It's looking awesome all the way through the weekend too

might have to do this walk at the weekend