Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boil in the bag

I am a keen wild camper who is getting fed up with dried food. I read in Trail magazine about emptying tinned food (beef stew etc) into a zip freezer bag and cooking it in boiling water on the stove. I tried this at the weekend and the bag melted on the hot spots on the bottom of the pan! (what a mess!!)

Any ideas about how to over come this problem?

Can anybody think of a practical way of keeping the plastic bag off the bottom of the pan?

I know this sounds minor but this will improve my weekends immeasurably!

Easy option:
    Tip the contents of the bag into the pan?

alternative option:
    Or you can get more heat resistant bags.
    Boil-a-bags

Though I wonder if these will not melt on the pan bottom as well. I also think they may be a bit big for a small camping pan.

My curry started to escape from the bag while in my rucksack once. I'm not as keen on the idea now as it could have been very messy.

I've used the boil-a-bags Mark mentioned on a Trangia. So far they've never melted anywhere, but I do always double bag them while carrying them in my rucksack. Insted of emptying tinned food into them I just cook an extra portion with most meals at home and freeze them. That way you get decent quality food that just needs a 20 minute reheat, and the water can be used for a brew.

what about army rations?
    I'm trying to get hold of some at the moment to try.

Darren, Why? Are you on a malnutrition diet? Got something stuck in your throat and need to bring it up? have you got masochistic tendancies?

thanks for the help

just a couple of points

want to keep food in the bags so as to use water in the pan for a brew (also no washing up)

also my stove is a primus omnifuel. the bottom of the pan gets extremely hot - probably much hotter than a trangia(?)

tesco zip food bags are pretty bombproof and seal liquids prefectly

as regards army rations - I used to be in the CCF as a youngster and remember the food with fear and loathing!!

How about these? Just add hot water and they are truly delicious - not like any other dried food I have tried.
    http://www.expeditionfoods.com/shop-expedition.html

Dave,
    I remember them fondly from my child hood.
    And just seemed like a good idea now to be able to just throw one in the ruck sack, and know everything is there!

Besides if they feed our troops on them, just how bad can they be?

Goon
    Uncle ben's express rice is good, it comes in a bag but does require emptying into a pan to cook.
    You can also get a rosti/bubble & squeeke from safeway in a foil bag but it also is cooked as above.
    Other alternative's to expensive boil in the bags are british forces ration's which i believe are wayfarer anyway.
    Yank forces food are called mre's standing for meal ready to eat. The good point about there gear is they come with a water activated cooker which is just hitting the british market at the moment. Someone was showing one off at the outdoor's show
    and selling them for a ridiculas price concidering they can be picked up for 50p each. Be adventurous pre cook your own food cleaning the pan is all part of the outdoor's life!

Goon
    Bugger furgot two spel chec the abuv......

water activated cookers, sounds an intesting concept.

MRE's and MOD ration packs can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay. You can also find packs of just the Boil in the bag meals. e.g. pack of five meals for eight quid.

I'm with Andy on this, www.expeditionfoods.com do all different types from freeze dried to boil in the bag and everything I have tried so far as been of a high quality. It's just so easy, especially when the rain is pouring down. They also do a porridge with sultanas which is a great breakfast meal, it isn't advertised so you have to ask for them but they are worth it.

Oatsosimple and one of those little boxes of sultanas wot you can buy for the kids lunchboxes. Yum Yum.

The downside is the pan cleaning though...

little tip about Oatsosimple:

I used to cook it like porridge and would end up with a burnt pan if i didn't keep stirring it.

I now just boil 250ml water (nalgene bottles are great for accurate measuring) - add sachet of OSS - stir - let it stand for couple of mins - eat - enjoy - all you have to do is rinse out pan.

Only drawback - one sachet is not enough!

The porridge with sultana's from EF's requires just hot water adding to the bag so there's no washing up to worry about.

any more culinary tips out there??

Hi I'm Andy also and I agree with the other Andy (Brydie) about the drytech food.

The drytech dehydrated meals from http://www.expeditionfoods.com/shop-expedition.html are by far the best I've had. They did vary in quality quite a bit though. From the chilli, which was tasty but mostly just flavoured rice, to the beef stew, which had lots of veg, beef and mushroom and was genuinely a nice meal, not just nice in a relative to other camping meal way.

I've also done the home-made boil in a bag option as well. Ordinary freezer bags are not up to the job in my experience. But Co-op and Sainsbury's (and the others too most likely) do bags they call roasting bags, I think, which you can also boil in. They worked a treat. You are basically making yourself a Wayfarer type meal on the cheap. And depending on what you use you can make it nicer as well.

What I intend to do in the future is take the boil in the bag option if weight is not too critical, because it is cheaper and nicer, but resort to dehydrated when weight is critical. On a long backpack I take a boil in the bag for the first night because I will only be carrying it for 1 day and then have dehydrated after that.

Mini Goon
    Try blowing a bit of air into the bag and then letting it float on the water. The food will generate its own steam and that will cook it. Probably wouldn't work on anything that needs a lot of heat to cook.

I've tried doing this in the kitchen at home (and it does work) but not on a camping stove so I've no idea if it would work. If anyone wants to give it a try then I'd like to know if it was successful.

UR emptying tinned food into a bag, then heating it in a pan?

Why not just take the tinned food in the tin, heat it in the tin? Then you can either heat the tin directly, or stand it in the water and heat it.

Empty tins don't really weigh that much.