Thread: Starlyte stove, Does Mole know?

‹bermensch

Hi Mole I have posted elsewhere info on the Boiler as below, do you know of a tin similar to the Starlyte one in the UK. I know the construction but need a similar tin, have you come across one.

Evidently a meths stove is likely to designed the BackcountryBoiler soon, based on Zelphs Starlyte stove. I think the Starlyte is a US confettii tin -I have not come across it here.

Hi

not sure of a similar item -or even more specifically the wadding - which is mono directional - not sure if it matters really

I use the Starlyte with a cone - it's great - I don't bother with the redbull chimney stove any more.Used it for the TGOand very happy - the good thing is you can light it in your hannd then place it in the cone...

edit

Funnily enough, I was 'talking' via email with Zelph just today - I'm buying another Starlyte and also the one for the BCB crusader cup set up (not the Back Country Boiler!) that he is producing. Should be good for larger pans such as a 1.5l one I have - with a specificcone to give the correct burner/pan separation)

‹bermensch

Thanks Mole, household insulation can be used in the Starlyte, though I reckon Zelphs stuff is better but I think its from Sweden.

Do you fry/steam on any of these setups. I have visions of me baking Bannock and muffins which I have done on Coleman stove.

well I did crisp the hell out of a tinned haggis in a titanium pan if that counts

took longer to clean the pan than to 'cook' and eat it

but - no - just boiling water really - occasionally warming soup - but have to stir constantly with a Ti pan

I seem to remember seeing a simmer setup somewhere - like a big washer over the gauze to reduce flame diameter..

must try that out.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Rather than use one of the wedding favour tins, why not stick to red bull cans, and just take out the dimple? It looks like the area you'd get at the top would be pretty similar. Assemble the stove with the wadding and mesh as per a usual drinks can burner.

If you need to open the burner up, then that would be a problem, but I can't see why that would be needed.

‹bermensch
    Thanks CP might try that first. Though I need to look through my old tin bag for bits, I think I saw on Youtube that a stainless steel tea strainer mesh was used for a Starlyte. Any other sources of that type of stuff?

I think the StarLyte uses door fly screen, commonly found in the US, but less common in the UK.

I've made open-cup burners with a bit of rockwool insulation stuffed into the red bull base. The wool tends to stay in place well enough, once it's been fired a few times. I'm sure the mesh serves some cunning purpose other than to hold thewadding in place...

‹bermensch
    SD,The tin you want can be found in most motorway service stations
    or petrol stations on the sweet section containing fruit sweets.
    About 1" deep X 2-3" diameter.I've made two or three stoves
    using these tins.I use fibreglas insulation from my roof space.
    To hold the fibreglas inplace I cut two pieces of wire about 4"long
    twist them together at their centre and open them out to form
    a cross. Place it on the top edge of the tin and cut the wires
    slightly longer, these will then press in and hold firmly
    below the top rolled edge of the tin.
    If you cut a disc from any tin same dia.as the stove put a 1" hole
    in the centre , it will allow the stove to simmer for at least
    twenty minutes. Cheers.

I found a suitable mesh at my local ironmongers sold in the form of a splatter guard - a circular metal rim and handle with a mesh inner designed to put over a frying pan to stop fat splattering everywhere. The mesh inner looked just like the stuff Zelph uses.

I cut bits of this mesh out as needed for stoves. When I needed more I took the original guard back to the shop to simplify describing what I wanted and they said " you don't have to buy that - we sell that mesh in sheets".

Try your local ironmonger.

Ultra King
    Has anyone used perlite in a starlyte type stove?

Tried it and decided it was rubbish, but I can't remember why.

> Tried it and decided it was rubbish, but I can't remember why.

Doesn't 'let go' of the meths, so it goes out long before the perlite is 'dry'. IME

‹bermensch

I have used perlite in some stoves ,the stoves got slower the more they were used. You have sieve the perlite to get rid of the dust.

The red bull type will work but is quite a bit smaller than the sweet/confetti tins so I guess will have a different performance.

Thanks Waldo still experimenting.

> The red bull type will work but is quite a bit smaller than the sweet/confetti tins so I guess will have a different performance.

Ah. The confetti/favours tins in the earlier links had diameters of 2"; almost identical to a red bull 250ml can.

I recently noticed (so, naturally, bought) some giant 'tealight' candles. The cases are 2.25 inches/ 57mm inside diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

I use the Starlyte with a cone Used it for the TGOand very happy - the good thing is you can light it in your hand then place it in the cone...
    The other good thing is that you can drop it accidentally, even inside the inner tent, without getting burning meths everywhere.

‹bermensch
    Frum.
    I do think that none spill,is the real benefit of the
    cans/stoves when using a absorbent filler, as against
    the meths slopping about inside.
    I should have added in my previous message, I top up with 30ml.
    meths. boil half ltre.water for a brew, drop the simmer plate on and sit back 20-30 min.warming my food, or just enjoying the tent.Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Hi

not sure of a similar item -or even more specifically the wadding - which is mono directional - not sure if it matters really

I use the Starlyte with a cone - it's great - I don't bother with the redbull chimney stove any more.Used it for the TGOand very happy - the good thing is you can light it in your hannd then place it in the cone...

edit

Funnily enough, I was 'talking' via email with Zelph just today - I'm buying another Starlyte and also the one for the BCB crusader cup set up (not the Back Country Boiler!) that he is producing. Should be good for larger pans such as a 1.5l one I have - with a specificcone to give the correct burner/pan separation)
    Mole my friend, I have created a titanium flame diverting pot support that can be used with the Starlyte in conjunction with your BCB crusader cup. It was designed for the US Military canteen cup, the one shaped like a kidney bean. It focuses the flame under the length of the pot.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/gi-cant...ncee-feest.php