Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout for 2 days and nights wild camp in the lakes

As the title says, this is my loadout for a 2 dayer in the lake district. I'm off in a few days and can't wait.

http://thesecretcamper.blogspot.com/...g-loadout.html

If I have missed anything please let me know as I hate forgetting stuff.

Is that a wind-up? You describe it as a lightweight set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post
    Is that a wind-up? You describe it as a lightweight set-up.
    Compared to one of my mates set ups, it is.

He insists on carrying a deck chair.

Haha, cheers for the advice lads. I should have put relatively in brackets. I have recently spent a lot of money on some good boots and all the titanium goodies but my next lightweight purchase will be a lightweight tarp. As for the bivi, if anyone can recomend me a lightweight one that performs as well or better then the army one I would like to see the link- although the main reason I like the army over other bivis I have seen is that it is big and roomy (its the one with the extender panel). The mora is there because I always take a sheath knife of some sort with me for the practice of bushcraft. The moras are a good choice for this as they are strong but light as a feather.

...no real defence for the multitool, it will be the first time I have carryed one on a hike or the woods. I just thought it might be useful as a pot grabber, saw, pocket knife etc. but I may just leave it at home.

And take the outer packaging off those Wayfarers.

Good call, nam. Less rubbish to bring back with me.

Well the contents are printed on the foil inner, so no surprises.

Have a good trip Andy, whereabouts you heading ?

Near borrowdale on the first night, and the second maybe nearEnnerdale. All depends on our abilities, the weather, and the will to keep moving!

I just left you a msg on BCUK a few mins ago haha

Belgium (What did I do to deserve this ?)
    Just curious - have you weighed all this ? What weight is it all including backpack?

Goon

Firstly this is not any form of criticism. I wish I was going.

Just thinking about our approaches to gear etc. this one seems (blatant stereotyping) to come from the survival/ex military/Ray Mears side of this. (Which I like) . Hence the tarp and lots of string and a big knife.

As a ex climber I would have gone bivi bag and look for a hole as there are few trees in the hills.

As I said no criticism and I am sure a good time was had by all. Just idle thoughts about how we choose our gear and where our influences are.

Mini Goon
    Get rid of the very heavy army water bottle and replace it with a platypus or similar. Replace the sandals with either crocs or flip-flops for camp wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian_Hiker View Post
    Just curious - have you weighed all this ? What weight is it all including backpack?

My thoughtsas well.

All that 80s squaddy gear must add up to a fair weight. A poncho, groundsheet, bivi bag, bungeesandparacord probablyweighs more than most solo tents (and you wouldn't have to carve your own pegs).

As Lester says, it's daft to have a heavy army water bottle when you're carying a Source bladder. A folding platy bottle for extra water overnight will be a fraction of the weight and pack size.

The Zippo isgood for lighting fags in strong winds but it's heavy and overkill for lighting a gas stove - a plastic Bic would be lighter (as it were). No flint & steel? Mr Mears would beturning in his grave . A foil windshield for that F1 Lite (good stove BTW) wouldn't go amiss.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with camp footwear - soakedboots don't dry out overnight in my experience.

Are you going to be warm enough? I don't see a warm jacket, gloves or hat (apart from the Buff). Even in summer, the evenings can be chilly once the sun gets low. It's nice to be able to sit outsidelate without cold hands and ears.

I would lose the Leatherman and get some sunscreen or a sunhat unless you're not expecting any sun at all.

Have a good one.

Goon

Plastic pop bottles are lighter too. And you can discard them in litter bins as you finish with them. Arguably not as much fun as an expensive bladder system though. I've given up on more thasn 1 small pan for 1 or two overnights. Something less than a litre to boil water and drink from. Other than that its foil trays from frozen meals/take aways etc.

Light and again disposable when finished with. Saves washing up. And its another use before recycling.

Bubble wrap is good for insualtion and it can be ditched later.

I must admit to enjoying gradually reducing the crap in my sack as the days go on.

All back now, wehad an amazing time. Thanks for all the tips while I was away, I'll try and answer them all.

@belgianhiker Sorry I didn't manage to weigh it before I went, it was all a big rush and we still ended up getting there late.

@Mattsccm You pretty much have me figured out. I am a keen bushcrafter, but have recently gotten into walking. I am in no way a survival nut, or a ray mears wannabe but I just enjoy nature and living within it- even if its just a few nights at a time. I like your disposable method, sounds like a good way to make your pack lighter throughout the walk.

@lester I'vealready got a titanium bottle on its way now, it just didn't make it in time for the trip. I have a platy and a few other lighter bottles but theres a bit of an emotional connection withmy army, plus it has a nice big mug. I didnt take the platy because I wanted a wide mouth bottle for filling up at streams. With regards to the sandals, they need a review all of themselves. I am so glad I took them with me. They are no where near as thick or heavy as they look. I'll get some photos up soon but they are way better then any flip flops I own.

@Jake I agree with most of what you say. My mistake in this post was putting lightweight in the title. Its a very relative thing, and compared to most climbers and walkers on this forum it doesnt even come close. I'm new to the lightweight approach, not really much need for it when you are walking the fens where I live. My usual pack is a 100ltr Berhaus Vulcan, loaded with stainless steel cookware, a steel grill for the campfire, a saw, knife, and axe plus 3 litres of water and food. I'm a strong lad but not even I would thing about going up in the hills with it. I never carve my own pegs, not now I have bought some gucci titanium ones! lol

Again, the zippo is an emotional connection and I wouldnt even think about trimming the weight off by getting rid of it. I may be a bushcrafter, but lets be honest- firesteels are a pain in the arse! I take them for a play sometimes not for a hike. I'll get myself a windshield for them next one but I tend to just position the stove behind my pack, a rock, or a tree when I am cooking. As for the sandals, I will never leave them behind again. The ones I have weigh nothing but I was very glad to get my boots of my feet at the end of the day and still be able to perform camp chores. I didnt show any of my clothing in the post but its nothing much to speak of- HH base layer, north face quick dry trousers and t shirt, Berghaus rain jacket, micro fleece,Regatta (or similar rain over trousers), NF fleece beanie, and a buff. I wear this stuff for most of my outings so I am very familiar with them. My boots are new- they areAltberg black leather mountain boots which are heavy, but strong- turned out to be very comfortable too. My only problem is that my rainwear isn't breathable so any suggestions would be very welcome (as you may have gathered I prefere greens and blacks as opposed to reds and yellows). The leatherman got dropped at the last minute but I kept the knife as it is very light.

Thanks very much for all the advice and comments guys, you've all been very helpful.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

That is the main thing.

I think you had it about right for your bushcrafty style of trip, if your happy to carry it then weights not an issue. I've just been on a trip where the average walk in weight was 30kg, some peoples packs were made up with luxury food, one mate took about 20kg of water but he is military fit and a dark souled individual.

I headed off on Monday. It was one of the best camps I've ever had. Although the weather was wet as usual there were some good breaks in the cloud for the sun to reveal some beautiful views. All the pics are here;
    http://thesecretcamper.blogspot.com/...rict-walk.html

Andy

Looks like fun to me