Thread: Talkback: New Nikwax Proofer Lasts 'Five Times Longer'

current tx direct - "Nikwax treatments are highly effective and long lasting. Items that are properly treated (pre-washed with Nikwax Tech Wash, then treated with an appropriate Nikwax proofer such as Nikwax TX.Direct) will withstand 4 to 6 washes using Tech Wash."

and the new one will withstand at least 40 washes - 5 times more? the maths is rather interesting at the very least.

does this now mean that you can use tx direct to proof more things e.g. general clothing that requires a lot more washing? (i'm thinking specifically of trousers at the moment) is it to be recommended by nikwax?

Widdler
    Hello from Nikwax! Thanks for the feedback.

We're keen to ensure that the messages and claims communicated about the new version of TX.Direct are unambiguous and would like to clear up any confusion that may have occurred.

TX.Direct lasts up to 5x longer: This refers to TX.Direct 11.1 performance when exposed to rainfall. When you're out and about enjoying or working in the outdoors and you're exposed to continuous rainfall the new version will keep you drier for up to 5x longer, which means that you now get even longer lasting reliable protection.

TX.Direct withstands 40 washes: We wanted to put the new version of TX.Direct though it's paces when it came to durability against washing. In our laboratory tests we found that an item treated with the new version of TX.Direct washed with Tech Wash time and again it still performed virtually as new after 40 washes. Obviously in real life the item would be worn between washes and as we know the biggest contributor to water repellency wearing off is abrasion through wear and tear, so the DWR will most probably need replacing more often as a result.

We hope this of help.

The Nikwax team

thanks for the reply dan.

i feel some experiments coming on...

I've just proofed a Rab soft shell top with the new version of the TX11, the Boreas, which doesn't have a DWR treatment as standard. Waiting for it to dry and will be interested to see how it goes.

As an aside, different fabrics 'take' DWRs with varying degrees of success. Polyesters, I think, tend to work better in very general terms than Nylon/polyamide fabrics, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

‹bermensch
    "Up to 5 times" means from 0 to 5 times, so would still be true even if the new stuff were the same as the old stuff. Shouldn't you say "At least 5 times.." ?

You should only say "at least 5" if that's the definite minimum, which I doubt is the case.

"Up to 5" would only be true in the sense of misleading (or not) if you could demonstrate at least one application where it gave at least 5 times improvement. This would not be the case if you used the old stuff.

c.f. any number of shops advertising "up to x% discount". Something in there must be available with at least x% off or ASA will want words.

Pete.

‹bermensch
    What I had hoped I meant was that I would be more impressed if they said "at least x times" where x was true. Not to mention specifying the fabric or garment involved. A string vest? Canvas gaiters?

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    I'm with ALS on this. It's like the wonderful ISP claims 'up to 6TB/s broadband', when they actually mean 14.4kbps average... Meaningless nonsense IMHO.

Mini Goon
    Is this stuff okay for use with Primaloft and Pertex?

The spray on stuff would be ok. But as GOF says, they do an insulation specific one in amongst the 682,000 proofing products they offer.

nickie judas
    we at betterwebplacecom/5333716 well the recpt who read this site are a bit confussed about you you said you are ecological most ecologist who respect the environment and people try to help them then why are your free samples only usa? can you explain this because betterwebplace office is or are in europe and we cant get hold of sample why yes you cant get 20,we are 20 recept in btwbplce 5333716 but we only asked to share one sample there is some economy here plus usa is a powerful nation it can provide for most of us all we at bettrwebplce5333716 asked was 1 sample then remove us from list what is the damage in this? i hope you reply

Goon
    Aye but its 1st class gobbledegook!!!

sodoes this mean i'll get a whole week of beading in wet weather?

as appose to the old stuff never really lasted more than a longweekend before wetting out again.

every time i try and submit this i get attacked by the grangers add. solidarity amongst the proofers no dowt.