Thread: Talkback: The Lightest Windproof Jacket In The World...

Montbell Tachyon anorak @68g for Large as measured by BPL might be lighter. A hooded smock again, and perhaps sizes not strictly comparable so goodness knows who 'wins' (and only one available over here anyway.).

A non hooded GL smock would win of course.

Rather large premium for this over a straight up quantum smock like RAB's cirrus pull on @75g. (~50rrp) Especially given the expected, reasonable but finite, durability of this sort of thing. Shrug.

I've had a Helly Hansen Mars since 2006 and it (in Large) is just below the 70g mark too. I don't put much faith in such claims and they aren't really relevant to me anyway. I'd lose more weight than that in sweat going uphill for10 minutes anyway!

‹bermensch
    One teaspoon of sweat = 5gm. (or more)

One gram of Montane Slipstream GL = £1.30

Mini Goon
    Would you feel better about the price if it weighed more?

‹bermensch
    Well, if recent Montane garments are anything to go by, I'd feel better if the arms were longer and the body was longer. It's easy to engineer weight out of a garment.

I gues it all comes down to exact wording- the Montane is a 'jacket' with a full length zip and the others are smocks, so montane wins that one....

Most of these windshirts seem to be overpriced to me, for example this windshirt smock is pertex yet only £26, why can't the big manufacturers compete with that? I know this Montane Slipstream is a much more expensive type of pertex, but still...

Quantum GL's really expensive because it uses a lot of very fine yarn, so more yarn used even if the fabric is lighter, if that makes sense. It is a full jacket rather than a smock and as far as saving a few grammes goes, I'd suggest it's more relevant if you're say, a fell-runner or road cyclist with very limited stowage when a little less bulk can make the difference between fitting something in a jersey pocket or not.

‹bermensch
    .. if you're a fell runner with a jersey with a pocket there are smarter ways to save weight than spending £85 on a windhshirt!

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks for the Reed Chilleater link, Formasa man. Not seen them before, and I like the UK manufacture.

Can see why GL Is pricy to make, but there are hugely diminishing returns here Microlite @~52g/m2. Quantum @29g/m2 (lightest). GL @ 25g/m2.

In fact is 4 g/m2 actually measurable within the error margins of a real garment such as cut, features, 'sunk' weight such as zips etc? I'm not at all sure. If it is its a tiny difference.

Neither seem to be ultralightoutdoors gear (who weigh stuff themselves): GL. Especially this bit: " We weighed the GL and re-weighed the Standard Slipstream Jacket and they both weighed 68-70g - essentially the same."

Ooops Thats maybe down to the cut varying or something else but does perhaps make the point. Montanes website has 65 for a medium GL and 80 for a large slipstream so suspect they made that slightly heavier this year.

You do have to applued technical perfectionism even when not entirely obvious, but in something as 'short' lived as a lightweight windshirt with a price premium this size?

So I own a medium Slipstream gilet, and is tight and I emailed and confirmed with Montane this sizing feature is on the jackets also, so one small weight cheat-ette is the Slipstream is very narrow across the torso not a baggy as say the Litespeed so there is less acreage to begin with. Are these "lightest" like-for-like for real users, e.g. do you need to go large with the Slipstream GL when others you can fit in a medium....?
    The weight is obviously not the important aspect here, its packed size and in summer months if you're just using a minimalist camelbak type then these small jackets help avoid it dangling on the outside and risk of loss.
    Pricey for the GL'ness... is it really going to be worth it relative to the Slipstream?

I was out for a quick up/down hill walk yesterday evening and temperatures not that low but it was very windy and I was reminded that windproofs don't actually work that well in windy conditions, they flap and pump a lof the air they wish to trap, there does need to be room for some resistive insulation under the windproof for windy conditions, the medium Slipstream I own doesn't have the room.

The Slipstream gilet I own is long, like the Litespeed (both medium), which is good.

The HH mars is a full jacket, is long in the sleeves (though a bit narrow in the arm for me) and cost me a tenner from a clearance outlet four years ago. But it has a pu coating I believe so breathability isn't the best I've tried.

I agree with Jon. The benefits of such a shell are more in packability than the last few grammes of weight saving. As I use windshells a lot, I actually save the HH Mars for times when I don't expect to need a shell at all as a bit of packable backup. For that it excels.