Thread: Lakeland Walking

Widdler

Hello,

I've recently starting getting out on the hill a great deal more to go walking, and was wondering if anybody else would be interested in a regular walking partner or if they'd accommodate a tag along to any walking groups. I don't dislike going out on my own (I usually have the dog with me), but it's always nice to be sociable as well.

I've been walking in the hills for years and am quietly confident in my abilities, but whereas I use to be part of a small clique of friends who went out, they have either moved on to pastures new or given up going out due to family commitments. I have no such commitments myself.

Anyway, I'm based in the South Lakes, and have a car so can offer lifts. I look forward to hopefully hearing from potential walking partners soon.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

P.S. If anybody is wondering, I'm 25... and perfectly normal. Well, I'm normal-ish. Actually no, I'm not really 'normal' at all, but I am harmless and always up for a laugh.

Initiate
    hi im out most weeks with my labrador,but work shifts so lots of walks are on weekdays but with price of fuel even from here im intrested in sharing car/fuel costs if week days work for you ? peter

Widdler

Hi Peter, that sounds like it could work. Unfortunately, my collie is a typical collie and therefore very anti-social (grumpy little bugger), but I'm sure it'd be alright... maybe. Where abouts are you based bud?

I try to get out once a week, and training for walking the length of Hadrian's Wall at the in a few week so I'm aiming for longer days at the moment. Unfortunately, I work weekdays and only get weekends off... and even that's not always, depending on my workloads.

Ultra King

Mike - there are very many walking groups in the Lakes and I am sure you could easily find them if you do a little searching. You have the LDWA, the Ramblers have a few groups in and around this area including the 20s and 30s groups and then there is Kendal Fellwalkers group too.

That is just two organisations and one club that I can think of.

Your profile says you climb (sorry I'm nosey so checked it out) so perhaps you could join a local mountaineering club too. These BMC affiliated clubs often have a wide range of members from the hardcore rock jocks and crag rats, high peak alpinists, Scottish ice climbers and straight forward 4 seasons hillwalkers too. I was in such an organisation when I lived a little further south and used to go up to the Lakes a lot with them. A quick google came up with Kendal Mountaineering Club (KMC).

Going through an organised (or disorganised) group you often meet like minded people and get out to areas you might not know about or think about going to. Everyone has their own secret places to walk and groups often go out on led walks to these sorts of places. Even if you go out with someone to a well known location chances are the walk leader will have a different take on the area from you.

Anyway, you mentioned tagging along with a group so I just thought I would suggest a few for you to look into. Enjoy the fells anyway, whether on your own or in any group you join.

Initiate
    Based on the great city of barrow I'n Furness !

Widdler
    You have got to be kidding me?! Barrow is possibly the scariest slum going... and this is coming from a born and bred Barrovian, still living there! Haha.

Ultra King

All the Barrovians I know want to get out apart from one. Nope two but one is never there but always going somewhere else and he'd move on too if he could work with submarines somewhere else.

All I know is I'd only be there if I had a good job at Vickers and if it was good enough I'd be able to afford to live out of Barrow and commute in.

I'll be walking there in a few weeks time on the Keswick to Barrow. I often think you'd get more people if you turned that route around and walked out of Barrow!!

Out of curiosity, any of you two think of it as being in Lancashire? If you do then you'll be showing your age!

Initiate
    Red Rose to the core

Ultra King

Good on yer! Check out these links.

Wiki FORL

Friends of Real Lancashire

I'm afraid I was still in Avon where I was born when that happened in 1974. That county disappeared but I don't remember it as I moved to my real home (Lancashire) shortly afterwards. My Mum is Lancashire (born and bred Liverpool - several generations back). My mate is Cumbrian but his Mum is Lancashire. Lancashire would really be one important county if it was restored to full boundaries. I mean liverpool, Manchester AND Barrow all in one county!! Very important indeed! Although strictly speaking they ARE still in Lancashire. It is only for "administrative purposes" that Lancashire is as commonly known but for other purposes it is still as pre 1974.

BTW mark November 27th in your Diary. That is Lancashire Day.

Widdler

See now, I was born after 1974 so I supposeI'm Cumbrian through and through. My accent is a blend of Lancashire and Cumbria though. I work up near Grange, so I don't have to Vickers excuse to fall back on. When I can afford to move out, I will. I fancy living in Ulverston or beyond.