Thread: Liathach - pinnacles advice please

Widdler

I'm off to Torridon in May and I've read a few previous posts on Liathach, but still can't quite judge how technically hard the traverse of the Am Fasarinen pinnacles is. I've happily done Crib Goch, Bristly Ridge, Corn Mor Dearg arete, Ring of Steall, so any comparison with those would be really appreciated.

The Pinnacles on Liathach aren't too difficult but are technically harder than Carn Mor Dearg and the Ring of Steal. There is a very narrow, slightly eroded, path on the south side if you don't fancy going over the pinnacles but the pinnacles are sometimes the saferoption as at least you have hand holds.

The Norhern Pinnacles are in my opinion very difficult as they are badly erroded. Getting out to Meall Derag, the Munro Top via that route is extremely difficult. I only managed it by coming in from the north on a second attempt.

Pick a fine dry day as the main ridge is a nice outting with some fantastic views.

Slainte

Lindsay

Liathach should be fine by May!

Only time i've been on it was in February on a bad day, I have never come across anything has big has Liathach, it Effin Massive .

Not technically difficult, but you really need to make sure you can handle exposure if you take the direct route. I'll agree with Lindsay, the avoiding path is probably worse. Personally, i think it is more exposed than the Aonach Eagach ridge, if that is any help?

I didn't know there were any exposed ridges south of the border. I've been led to believe the ones you listed can be walked with your hands in your pockets?

Have we annexed the CMD and the Ring of Steall then? Wouldn't have though you'd be terribly happy about that

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carpenter View Post
    Have we annexed the CMD and the Ring of Steall then? Wouldn't have though you'd be terribly happy about that

The Scottish ones are only walks though.

Widdler

Coming from south or the border, I expect I shall be doing handstands across the pinnacles

Seriously, thanks for the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by theuglysouth View Post

Coming from south or the border, I expect I shall be doing handstands across the pinnacles
    Make sure you publish the resulting photos in the gallery, then. They should be quite impressive.

Widdler

Trip reports on Scottish Hills http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10984

Sorry, don't have time to post it here as well.

Jim, if you're wondering - I didn't manage a handstand on the pinnacles, but came very close on the way down!