Thread: Happy Hiker

I have just started a new website happyhiker.co.uk.

The purpose of this Happy Hiker website is to provide simple to follow directions for walking various routes, including GPS downloads and to give basic advice on a variety of walking issues.

I am not selling anything and the site is simply intended to be a useful resource to fellow walkers. I hope you find it of value.

Please pass on details to walking friends.

You got a nice little site there. Informative and I also like the ability to download routes via .gpx for Viewranger. Keep up the good work!

I like it a lot.................. just need a lot more walks on it

I'll definitely be checking back every now and then for new walks.

Many thanks everybody for the positive responses. I have also had an unbelievably positive response from everyone I have emailed or has emailed me. I will be adding walks as I actually do them or as I write up those already completed - they take a while with the sketch maps etc.

One visitor has contributed some useful information about Lyme disease which I have incorporated in the Safety and Links pages.

Shock horror, I discovered I had transposed a figure on an OS reference (now corrected). I have tried really hard to get these right but no-one is perfect and if anyone spots any other errors please let me know so that I can correct for the benefit of others.

I have just added a new walk to my website, a 12 mile jaunt from Lothersdale which I call the Lothersdale Loop.

On discovering how easy it is to use, I have employed Google Maps to pinpoint the start point for all my walks. This will also enable folk to get directions from wherever if they do not know the area. If anyone is interested, access via the My Walks page.

As the BBC are promising me good weather, off to the Forset of Bowland tommorrow to investigate what is shown on the OS map as Langden Castle (ruin). I have noticed this before when walking in the area so I am intrigued! Probably be an anticlimax!

On my website I post my routes as downloadable Memory Map or GPX files, as well as a printable PDF. Of course, these need the right software to view but I have been tipped off about a site Where's the Pathwhere you can upload GPX files and see them displayed on a 1:25000 scale OS map alongside a Google satellite view of the same route. It is brilliant.

I gather there are a limited number of times it can be used in a day but nevertheless, it is a clever package.

Had a great day in The Lakes yesterday and did the Fairfield Horseshoe. It was a bit windy on top but the views were worth it (some pics on website). What was interesting was that as I walked across the plateau towards Hart Crag, clouds were forming from nothing in the valley below and whipping over the edge. The car park in Ambleside gets ever more expensive. 7 now for over 6 hours!