Thread: Backpacking light - micro tarps

Ultra King

Does anyone know if the BPL-UK micro tarps are ever going to come into stock? BTW are they any good? After a 2 person tarp and bivvy trip last year with a 2.4m square tarp in a flying v pitch I have come to the conclusion I might be tempted to get something smaller and lighter for the better weather in May/June. These seemed perfect and they haven't been in stock for many months. They are quite cheap too. Does anyone know somewhere else to get something similar or better? Intend to use with Rab SZ for a light set-up.

Ultra King

Why don't you PM Bob Cartwright? He and his family own backpackinglight.co.uk.

His screen name on OM is, Bob C - backpackinglight.co.uk

Alternatively, email him through the contact button on the bpl.co.uk website.

Ultra King
    Plan to but did wonder if there are any other places selling similar tarps? Would of course prefer to use Bob's business when possible or practical of course.

Make your own? Silnylon not the easiest stuff to work with but not impossible some for sale here ( http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...4137/V/100/SP/ )

Practice getting the shape right with an old sheet first.

Steve D

Ultra King

Just heard back from Rose. They have a new manufacturer and expect first samples back soon. All being well stock will turn up shortly. Good news as their tarps seemed good on the webpage at least.

Anyone use a BPL-UK tarp of any size? Are they good? Only 1500mm HH I spotted. If that was a tent I would worry but how good is it in a tarp? Is the simple nature of a tarp any less demanding for weather resistance of the fabric than a tent?

I know I would not make a good tarp. I could as have access to machines at work but I am not good enough with my hands to do the job. I am sure my fingers would become an integral part of the final design if I did!!

Mini Goon
    Lost, way too much information on shelter HH here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=43902

Goon

Lost, I can make you one if you want. I have lots of silnylon. Just tell me what size you want and if its a standard shape I should be able to do it far cheaper than a "bought" one.

You can have any colour you want as long as its dark navy

By the way, 1500mm is more than enough for a tarp. "Silnylon" (depending on weight and coating) should generally withstand a pressure of at least a kilo per inch which is way in excess of even the heaviest of storms. Depending on whether you're talking about using it for a bivy or over a hammock an issue can be "misting" whereby you have condensation on the inside of it which is forced into a mist then down onto you by very heavy rain. Can be avoided by pitch angle, height from you etc etc.

Well there's seemingly an awful lot of debate over whether it just condensation or tiny bits of stuff driving through. See that BPL thread above (and others), which is very accurately described as having way too much information!

I have a 10'x8' bpl tarp that I use for a cooking or group shelter, it is well made and great for the purposes I use it for.

Steve D

Ultra King

I have an 8'x8' Kathmandu Basha bought from Bison Bushcraft at the Outdoor show two years ago. Decent tarp and about 600g I think. Has done me good for quite a few trips last year. Last year was the year I went tarp and I absolutely love it. I have plenty of room and It copes remarkably with stormy weather too. In fact I had more and better quality ofsleep than a mate next to me in the Laser Comp. IIRC she moaned about crisp packets rustling all night. I had a rare flap when a particularly strong gust came along. The only issue was two pegs had come out on the leeward side but they were Vargo round Ti pegs so perhaps some Y pegs or V pegs would have been a good idea due to the ground.

It was a good link thag from WJ. Only read the first page and it makes me wonder about the Sil-nylon basha. It was a kathmandu one and the company closed many years before I got it from Bison. It could have a low HH indeed now due to degradation of the coating. Although I suspect it still works ok and any condensation / misting / water leakage on the inside is not too much of a problem. However I do note that I have noticed that something fabric I left out of a bag overnight under the tarp did feel damp a little bit but I thought that was just cold, damp air I was in (mist).

I have tarp is about 10'x12' like this It's pretty big and not exactly small or super light, but I love it -- especially in the rain. I have a smaller lighter silnylon tarp (8'x10'?) that was given to me and I use it mostly, but the bigger tarp is much better for lots of wind and rain. Was out with it in the severe rain last weekend. Pack got damp from splatter, but not from direct rain. Not too bad. Check out this video about ultralights tarps and backpacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCvQsPeZ6yY
    Last edited by Kendy999; 16-06-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: mistake in text