Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Knife

Ultra King
    OK Mal I've never even seen one as they haven't reached Lancaster or Kendal yet. Only heard of them and I'm sure someone called it Chas. I stand corrected. One day we will be civilised up here with proper shops selling things cheaply. We have already started with an out of town Matalan and there is now a TK Maxx in Lancaster (courtesy of Woolworth's demise). Civilisation is reaching Lancaster!!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this - but after reading this one a couple of days ago and doing some other reseach I ordered a Gerber Ripstop 1 serrated from heinnie.com (Heinnie Haynes).

I'd been nervous ordering something so late from a new site as I'm going away next sunday - but after ordering late on tuesday night it arrived this morning (friday) - exactly as described and seems from a quick play to be exactly what I need in a lightweight multi-function tool.

So this is just to note my positive experience with both things

Heinnie Haynes are a well established site with a good reputation and a huge selection. I've ordered sharpening tools from them before now with no problems, so they get my recommendation as well.

Steve D

I second the Mora. Cheap and bloody sharp. Got an old green plastic one with a carbon blade. Weighs less than 100 grams with plastic sheath - 82 grams on its own. Very easy to use and takes a lot of abuse. Like I said in another thread, I dig holes with mine.

Widdler

Initiate
    pruning knife for gardening. If you dont need a serrated blade (and most of the time we dont). I got one for 99p with dayglow orange handle from bargain bucket year ago.

Widdler
    If you are looking for a small and light blade, you can go for the Outdoor Edge Razor. Got some idea after reading this article on Knives for Hunting and Skinning
    Last edited by antGone; 27-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Mini Goon
    I use a Svord Peasant mini as my beater, EDC, bushcraft, hiking knife it has a great carbon steel blade and can be sharpened easily (does well with a convex edge which can be sharpened very easily with sandpaper), can be taken apart easy to clean and was very cheap (17), very light, cheap, one hand open and UK legal. One of the best knifes for the price imo, great for hiking/bushcraft and EDC. Comes in a lot of colors including high vis orange.

https://www.heinnie.com/svord-peasan...QaAo-QEALw_wcB

EDIT: ANNNNND I just realised this thread is from 2011 and revived few days ago by the poster above . Sorry!
    But it is a good knife for anyone else interested!
    Last edited by warzinak; 10-09-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Mini Goon
    Yeah that poster is spamming the forum, reviving ancient threads and linking to his website.

But agree on the Svord. I have the full size one. I filed a few mm off the cutting edge to make it UK legal. Very simple, solid design. I've even split logs with it in a bothy, hammering the blade with an old shovel handle.

Goon

As mentioned on the 1st or second page the Opinel takes a lot of beating for a good quality but sensibly priced, no nonsense knife. I got one for my daughter earlier this year as her first knife. The blade holds a really good edge, they are available in a range of sizes and the blade locks both open and closed, so you can be sure it won't close on your fingers. The edge would do you serious damage if it did! They also do a folding saw to the same design.

I've got a Spatha Kate - its neat enough, sharp

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Lad View Post
    As mentioned on the 1st or second page the Opinel takes a lot of beating for a good quality but sensibly priced, no nonsense knife. I got one for my daughter earlier this year as her first knife. The blade holds a really good edge, they are available in a range of sizes and the blade locks both open and closed, so you can be sure it won't close on your fingers. The edge would do you serious damage if it did! They also do a folding saw to the same design.
    I had a lot of Opinel knives as a kid. The metal is quite good for getting really sharp. However the design is flawed in that when the wood gets damp it swells and jams the blade in the handle. I've moved over to the Svord ones a poster mentioned above. They are bullet proof. I used one to slice up logs for the stove in bothy, whacking the blade into the logs with a broken shovel! They appear to be indestructable.

Not had that problem yet. Maybe a good coating of varnish would help to waterproof the wood. For splitting wood if I've not got an axe with me, I use a British Army survival knife. Very tough and full tang but not exactly pocket sized. It is good for doing a Crocodile Dundee though - "That's not a knife, this is a knife" !!!