Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife

Stay away from knife fiends, Kate.

There is a lot of nonsense about knife carrying and what the law actually means. At the end of the day if you are carrying something with the intent of using it as a weapon, then it is a weapon and that includes a pencil!

I always use locking blade knives and am happy to argue the fact in court if required. I don't take one into the pub or out at night 'on the town' but other than that it lives in my pocket.

I was at a victorinox stand in Switzerland some time ago and pointed out to the rep that the new locking blades they had introduced might be illegal in the UK. He thought I was nuts! Apparently one reason they were introduced was to avoid getting sued, if you manage to close a blade on your hand they can point out that there arer safer models available and perhaps you should have bought one of them!

Steve D

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    I do have a rather fetching lock blade knife I got in Amsterdam, shaped as a kriss. Pretty mean looking and nearly got me arrested in Paris when I moved to England...
    Have we re-asserted our medieval claim on France then?!

Thanks very much, WelshDragon, others have highlighted the Heinnie website, but I a) had no idea that they had a showroom and b) that they were in Barry. Since I'm in Penarth, that's the obvious place to go

Simon - don't worry, no harm will come to you.

as long as you behave

Agree 100% with Steve,

As long as you have a reason for carrying it ie outdoor pursuits, work etc then your fine, its the idiots who carry them in inappropriate places that get nicked.

My journey to my new life in England was made by train, including a change in Paris. At a peak "terror alert" time, the custom officer going through my bags was not amused but his boss thought I was a decent chap and let me keep it...

Quote Originally Posted by WELSHDRAGON60 View Post
    Agree 100% with Steve, As long as you have a reason for carrying it ie outdoor pursuits, work etc then your fine, its the idiots who carry them in inappropriate places that get nicked.

I got arrested for carrying a knife clenched between my buttocks. The officer said it was an inappropriate place.

‹bermensch

After a hike I was doing the touristy bit in Washington DC I had my back pack turned out at the entrance to the Botanical Gardens and the Guard asked questions and measured the knife blade, its just under 3in. Even more difficult in the US as different states have different byelaws about carrying a knife.Like here as long as you look a hungry hiker and have pots and a stove in the bag I think you will be okay.

I'm kind of hoping a respectable 40-something professional female won't get into too much trouble with the heddlu if stopped, even if carrying a knife.

They have to have stripes down their trousers, Simon!

Quote Originally Posted by R_Mac View Post

What about the Victorinox Solo? same size/shape as the one I use only with just a single blade. The Opinel is a good value knife but for camping use when one knife may be used for a variety of tasks I prefera stainless blade.

Victorinox Solo
    Kate, I'm a +1 for the Victorinox Solo. It's lightweight with a great blade which holds it's edge well.

Available at the even cheaper price of £10.45 inc delivery HERE

My advice is to look for a sub 3inch non locking folder. No reason is needed to carry one, if you forgot about it being in a coat pocket or bag, and for some odd reason got stopped, there shouldnt be any problems. I always carry a folder on me, its conforms to the letter of the law, and its a handy tool to have when needed. When camping or even just out walkingI have a larger fixed blade in my rucksack. The reason for this is that i often take a picnic, with good home made bread, salami, tomatoes, etc. And its a lot easier to cut bread with a large knife than a swiss army knife. I also carry a large folder for safety resons when working with ropes (tree work).

hi Kate.

Presuming the heddlu behave like the met I think you're right. I have asked the police why they are searching all the kids and ignoring me and they say: 'because sir you don't fit the profile'. They're not looking for middle-aged, white knife-wielding thugs.

I often have a small knife, I use it for peeling fruit, slicing sausage, sharpenning pencils, I just like them. Amongst others I have thatPetzl one, though mine is blue and I think bigger.It's nice and simple. It didn't have much of an edge when I bought it but I've fixed that. It's very easy to open (one hand with thick gloves). It also has a big hole you can clip it on a carrabiner behind your harness fora touching the void moment.

I think you should just go and buy a knife. on this site everyone offers well thought outbutcollectivelyconfusing advice and a simple decision can appear very complicated. It'f for similar reasons I now find myself unable to choose a new broadband provider.

There are often knee jerk reactions following 'incidents' I work for a Police Force as a civilian. I had to go to one of the other Islands in a hurry one day and forgot about my knife in my pocket. No problem I handed it to the Special Branch guys to hold for me till I got back.

The thing is that I often use a paracord leash with the knife, this was attached to my belt. No one complained about the paracord and I was allowed on the plane with it. Now I might be able to do someone some damage with my 3" lock knife, but I could definitely do some serious damage with a paracord garrotte. it wasn't on their watch list so was ignored.

I had a similar experience post Locherbie, my walkman was closely inspected but my huge circa 1985 video camera was ignored.

Steve D

‹bermensch The Buttered Crumpet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post

They're not looking for middle-aged, white knife-wielding thugs.

Except at Milwall

Call them middle-aged?

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by WELSHDRAGON60 View Post
    Agree 100% with Steve, As long as you have a reason for carrying it ie outdoor pursuits, work etc then your fine, its the idiots who carry them in inappropriate places that get nicked.
    As long as you don't give the copper searching your rucksack smartarse verbal. A couple or so years ago an uppity senior citizen was arrested at a London rail station for the possession of an offensive weapon, a 1.5 inch knife blade on a keychain multi tool.

He should've had his ar$e well and truely kicked for wasting time, if he couldn't deal with an uppity senior citizen without resorting to arrest for possession of an offensive weapon, namely a 1 1/2 inch blade on a keychain multi tool I'd question his suitability for the job. I seriously doubt that crime rates in London are low enough to make his actions a good use of police time.

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar

Hey Welsh Dragon, how much of a nut are you? Have you got a Damascus steel knife (a la Tighe One On)?

Seriously expensive.

Try typing in "grafting knife" . No serrated edge ,so they can be kept sharp on that thingy for your kitchen knives ,and usually no pointy end to get you when you pick it up at the wrong end . And never that expensive .

I used to have a bone handled grafting knife that my grandad handed on to me, great little knife that was suitable for most day to day tasks. Everyone had one over here when the main industry was tomato's and not finance.

Steve D