Thread: Watch with stop watch & altimeter required

Can anyone recommend a watch please?

Looking for something with at least a stop watch function & altimeter, to be used to assist with navigation.

Thank you David

A lot will depend on your budget.

I have used successfully in the past, the Casio Protrek. I say in the past, because it worked perfectly, until I changed the batteries, then the altimeter seemed to throw erratic readings, even when I'm not moving!

But in fairness, that is probably down to me. If I had sent the watch away to Casio for the battery change, then it would probably be still working.

I now have a Suunto Core, a better watch in my opinion, though I know there are those out there who disagree.

As for battery replacement, you can buy the battery with a replacement seal, which should always be replaced if the back is distrurbed, for sensible money.

Both have a stopwatch, though I've never used that function, but seem relatively easy to operate.

I had a quick look about this morning Fleegle and*I found the Suunto Core and it looks like what Im needing, but thought I'd ask on other opinions.

Budget is not really a problem for me but I don't want to be chucking my cash away

Thank you

‹bermensch
    I've found the Casio Protrek very reliable and easy to use. I've had the current one about five years and never even needed a new battery. The compass is a pretty useless feature ime -- certainly not to be relied on -- but models are available that don't have this feature, and they tend to be cheaper.

I cant see the point really of the compass IMO but I shall have a look at that one also

Thank you

I really like my Pro trek PRW-2000. Solar, radio signal time, alti/baro/compass/temp, of which i only ever really use the altimeter. It's slimmer than most ABC watches and one of the few Casio watches that will fit on a 22mm nato strap without modifications. It's a good quality screen too, you never have to struggle to turn it to just the right angle to read the time in direct sunlight.

TBH guys, as I mentioned earlier,I'm sure if I had sent my Casio back for the battery replacement, then I would still be using it today.

However, the Suunto Core for me has the edge and I like the fact that I can replace the battery myself, and not wonder if the post will loose my watch either going to or from Casio, with the ensuing claim that would have to follow.

Shame, cos the Casio is a nice watch. I still use it, but as a watch and not altimeter.

As for the compass, on both the Suunto and Casio, its far from reliable. IMHO, its only there as a get you out the crap situation, if you really had to.

Electronic compasses are not the most stable or reliable, with one exception. I bought one from Halfords for the car and I'm more than impressed with its stability, once its been calibrated, to cope with the electro-magnetic fields created with modern car electronics.

Another vote for Suunto Core watches.

I've had mine a year now and love it. Take a look on eBay.com as they are available much cheaper in th US.

‹bermensch
    got a casio pro treck.... mainly because it was half price in argos about 3 years ago, great watch though bulky. altimeter seems to be pretty accurate but the compass feature is very hit and miss.

Another vote for Casio protrek. I've used G shocks for years and love em,so when I saw a pro trek going cheap (ish) in a local shop I bought it. I've had no reason to doubt anyof its functions not working properly - I guess theres always time. Never owned or known anyone with a Suutno so couldnt comment either way on them.

‹bermensch

When I looked around I ended up with a Barigo 47. No issues with it so far ( 2 years old)

This website is the only UK site/shop that I can find selling it.http://walkhigh.co.uk/acatalog/Barigo.html

don't know if they do them anymore but lidl used to do just the watch you are looking for, & they seem to have good to very good reveiws & around 100 quid cheaper that the ones mentioned above.

Goon
    Decathlon have an altimeter watch for £65. No idea if it's any good, but some of their other stuff is very good value for money.