Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scarp 1

Initiate
    hi all seasons greetings we have just had 6 inch off fresh in windemere.. yipee but to my point thinking off getting a scarp1 for me and pouch..any one in near cumbria got one would like to see one in flesh ...want to see if i drop a clip i can fit the dog in the porch as hes not small !?! using a shangri la 3 at moment but with only a half inner i had made getting a lot off frost/condensation partly due to dog and partly due to uncovered floor....peter

Hi Peter, I have a Scarp 1 which I haveshared with the dog a few times. He is a Lab/german wired haired pointer cross and he sleeps in the inner with me. The Scarp is a real 1+ person tent so the dog can fit in with me and having 2 porches helps with storage /cooking. would not like to share the tent with the dog on a long trip but for overnights its fine.

I really recommend the Scarp 1, I have owned a few single pole solo tents and the Scarp beats them all.

Initiate
    No probs with dog moving around inside inner ? Or claws and ground sheet ?

I tend to take an extra foam mat for the dog and a fleece blanket so most of the groundsheet is covered. He does move around but there is just enough space so its not uncomfortable, but as I said before I would'nt want to sharethe Scarpwith the dog on a long trip, I would take a proper 2 person tent instead.

Initiate
    Which puts me right back at the start again ...a solid 1 person tent with porch big enough for dog and some cooking???? Solar 2.2 ?? Bit heavier though

How do you mean "frost/condensaton" with the SL3, Peter? In these temperatures you're going to get frost with any tent. You could make a light groundsheet from some Polycro or similar.

Initiate
    PeterIf you like the Scarp design you can always get the Scarp 2, bigger and lighter (by a good margin) than the Solar 2.2.However the Scarp 1 is rather big for a solo shelter.It has a total covered area of 31 square feet. As a comparison the TN Laser (1 door) has a total area of about 27 square feet.This picture may give you a better idea.There are two ways to fit your dog inside .1) as Richard does inside the tent. The floor is 218cm long , all of it is usable. You can increase the 81cm width by undoing the clip at the top of the door. That will drop the floor making it a bit wider.2) since the floor is 81 cm wide you could also unclip one side (both corners and the top clip) so that the vestibule increases in size from about 45cm to 65-70 leaving you enough room for your mat and a bit to spare. You still have the vestibule on the other side to get out and store your pack.If this is not clear let me know . I can set up the shelter and take some more pics for you...Franco

The std inner is fabric..

.franco@tarptent .com

(for size: I am 5'7", theExped mat is 6' long , the pillow at the end of the mat is about 10" deep)

Initiate
    thanks for that franko is that th scarp 1 or 2 ?

Initiate

The one in the picture is the Scarp 1. The 2 is much bigger...

Franco

Initiate
    well that looks bigger than i thought..could i drop 1 clip from roof and 1 from bottom corner and 1 from(where the guy rope,in middle off your picture is)? as i think that would give dog enough room and i could cook in other porch....i guess the tent is still firm with these clips out on the inner?

Initiate
    Yes.The inner can be detached completely or in stages. This is what it looks like without the inner :

The pink mat is lifted by the inner on the ground otherwise it would lay there flat You can in fact put those two mats inside the inner side by side if you undo a couple of the roof hooks.my boots are inside the shelter, see the ribbon going past them.Franco

Initiate
    thanks for that..still thinking it through..how would i pay for tent was wondering how much tent would be in UK pounds including delivery ? peter

Initiate
    Some here (at OM) have posted what they have ended up paying for it.Apart from postage you may get custom charges. I found this comment from Blockpacking Light :

Cost: £241.19 (Scarp 1 + Tyvek groundsheet + 2 6ft lengths of cord, inc. shipping). Charges £29.25.

That was from April this year. I don't know how the exchange rate compares now and charges (custom duty) will vary.

Franco

(BTW, I don't sell them...)

Initiate
    Oops soz Franco got it in my mind you were a part of tarptent !?! Thanks for answers

Initiate
    I am.. but I don't sell them.I am based in Australia and do service back up here as well as fiddle with the shelters to see what can be done with them.The forums are just a passtime for me.Apart for directly from TT, you can also get them from a couple of dealers in Germanythis one http://www.trekking-lite-store.com/trekkingshop/or this onehttp://www.sackundpack.de/The Scarps are hard to get at the moment.Franco

Initiate
    ta franc0 just looked at those 3 sites but none have scarp 1 listed

Put an ad in the classifieds peter dixon 2.... you never know.

Initiate
    correction one has !!!!!waiting for repley

That trekking lite site has a cuben Terranova sac for sale that isn't on their own website!

Initiate
    right then decided to buy a scarp yippee bugger should i buy scarp 1 or 2