Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peak district walks

Widdler

hello

im a student currently working towards my ml and was just looking for suggestions on suitable walks in the peak district

thanks

V-Publishing do a decent Peaks walking guide that you should be able to track down locally, lots of good stuff around Kinder, Bleaklow etc.

Widdler
    cheers for the info

Widdler
    Def Kinder, really a amazing location

My old pal Mark Richards has just updated his classic Peak District books.

Free walks for the viewing...

Northern book...

Southern book...

Widdler

If you're not too confident in planning your own routes take a trip to Hathersage and visit the Outside shop in the village centre.

They stock a selection of walking guides/books of the whole area so you can match your capability to a route.

Stephen Hall

Edale is nice. from edale go up grindsbrook up on to kinder. Also a must is kinder downfall. I would go to kinder downfall from Hayfield.

If you like avoiding crowds and like a remote feel go up Kinder from the snake (A57) via fairbrook up to Fairbrook naze and back down Blackden brook.Also Alport castles is a seldom visited spot and is stunning (google images) carry on up the valley which again is stunning and then look out for the memorial to the four scouts that died during an event called the 4 Inns then return via Doctors gate culvert or Oyster clough. There is the B29 superfortress wreck on Bleaklow again Google images, there is a Blenheim Bomber wreck a couple of clicks further down the Pennine way and there is loads of stuff of interest in the area look at an OS map or http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm and look at all the different stones marked on the map,They are all worth visiting .

By the way the terrain in the Dark peak should not be underestimated, the ground is often boggy and therefore energy sapping,distances off path should be treated as considerably harder than on path due to the varied terrain.

If you let me know what walking you like doing in other areas or what you are interested in seeing I will try and be a bit more specific as there is something for everyone in the White/Dark peak.There are some historic climbing areas, Kinder is famous for the mass trespass, there's wilderness and popular pub and cafe walks.

I'd definitely go with the Mark Richardson idea (above)

For slightly longer walks I'd recommend Day Walks in the Peak District and Day Walks in The Peak District : 20 More Circular Walks by Norman Taylor and Barry Pope.

My own favourite is

Edale

Up Grindsbrook

West to Crowden Tower

Keep going high around the head of the valley

East along Rushup Edge

Up onto Mam Tor

Down to Hollins Cross

North (ish) back to Edale

Having lived in Staffordshire, I have something of a soft spot for the Roaches (some great climbing to be had) & the Manifold Valley. The former must include a trip to Lud's Church, and nearby Axe Edge & Burbage Edge, linking the two via Three Shire Heads. The Manifold Valley gives you Thor's Cave. The classic White Peak trip has to include the trek through the eight Dales - an easy, sheltered walk, but very picturesque, specially in autumn (lots of Rowan berries & autumn foliage), or winter - if you can arrange the latter after hoar frost, so much the prettier!

The other good walk (about 40 miles, and a serious undertaking in winter) is the Derwent Watershed. I've only done it in summer - you'll want a long period of daylight to do it in a day. In winter, probably best to allow two days

I like Dovedale but in the quieter times ie spring autumn and evenings. Also Edale and up to the Kinder plateau by a variety of routes (crookstone hill is a fave of mine) and also just bimbling about Derwent water is very pleasant

I spent a couple of years living just south of the white peaks and thoroughly enjoyed getting out from work early and doing 4 or so hours walking and camping in the summer evenings

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Bill View Post

Having lived in Staffordshire, I have something of a soft spot for the Roaches (some great climbing to be had) & the Manifold Valley. The former must include a trip to Lud's Church, and nearby Axe Edge & Burbage Edge, linking the two via Three Shire Heads. The Manifold Valley gives you Thor's Cave. The classic White Peak trip has to include the trek through the eight Dales - an easy, sheltered walk, but very picturesque, specially in autumn (lots of Rowan berries & autumn foliage), or winter - if you can arrange the latter after hoar frost, so much the prettier!

The other good walk (about 40 miles, and a serious undertaking in winter) is the Derwent Watershed. I've only done it in summer - you'll want a long period of daylight to do it in a day. In winter, probably best to allow two days
    Hen Cloud,Don Whillans memorial hut ,along the Roaches to Lud's church is a very interesting walk very unique.Thor's cave and all the places like chee Dale and Cave dale are breath taking particularly in summer when everything is so green and Lush.Have a look on google images for Parkhouse Hill and Chrome Hill, caves and dramatic spires of limestone with a pinch of exposure if you fancy it.The walk East of Derwentwater is good too, loads of strangely named Rock formations,very photogenic.Google wheel stones, salt cellar and lost lad for a taster.
    On the subject of Kinder why not walk the whole edge path, it's about 2500 ft of ascent and about 20 miles and I did it in 8 hours,not rushing. This walk will let you see most of the Peak District in one day. An epic without being to hard.You can Park near the Grouse pub on the A624, Hayfield or the Snake Pass summit which is the easiest but least pleasant approach IMO. Too many stone flags. Like I say,depends what terrain,distance and features you like to take in , it's all there .

One of my favourites is up Past Glory Gully, along Reminiscing Ridge and down Memory Lane*

*credit to CB and Dave for the route.

Sean, you're just a git. Actually, not just a git, but a git nonetheless.

The area between Buxton, Leek and Macclesfield is pretty wild, and good if you don't want to meet too many people.

You could also walk from Buxton to Coombs along Coombs Moss, and end up in the Beehive, and catch the bus or train back to Buxton. It would be fairly short, but there would be scope to extend it, and you could also look to see some of Jim Perrin's orienteering course (he worked in the Whitehall Centre in the 1950's) and most of the markers are still visible - I am sure other OM posters would have more information, mine is pretty scant...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Parkin View Post

The area between Buxton, Leek and Macclesfield is pretty wild, and good if you don't want to meet too many people.

You could also walk from Buxton to Coombs along Coombs Moss, and end up in the Beehive, and catch the bus or train back to Buxton. It would be fairly short, but there would be scope to extend it, and you could also look to see some of Jim Perrin's orienteering course (he worked in the Whitehall Centre in the 1950's) and most of the markers are still visible - I am sure other OM posters would have more information, mine is pretty scant...
    I have only ever had agro off land owners twice both have been on Combs whilst on marked paths on the OS map, Check your OS map is up to date. If I remember right it's allstone lee farm, he is adamant the paths are wrong so give that a miss. A circuit of the plateau is a good walk though.

That reminds me, a walk through the woods to Errwood hall, then to the Spanish shrine then cat's tor and Shining tor is a great walk too, I'd forgotten about that!

I did the Shining Tor-Cat's Tor-Errwood Hall-Shooter's Clough-Shining Tor on Xmas eve, started at 6pm. Just a shame the moon rose just before were were finished (830pm), an excellent circuit.

A classic (for me) is Glossop-Dr Gate's Path up to crossing with PW then Bleaklow via PW shortly before starting the descent towards the reservoir, notice a white post on your left, go up and locate a faint path that leads up to the abandonned shooting hut on the topthen towards Cock Hill then down to Glossop.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

I did the Shining Tor-Cat's Tor-Errwood Hall-Shooter's Clough-Shining Tor on Xmas eve, started at 6pm. Just a shame the moon rose just before were were finished (830pm), an excellent circuit.

A classic (for me) is Glossop-Dr Gate's Path up to crossing with PW then Bleaklow via PW shortly before starting the descent towards the reservoir, notice a white post on your left, go up and locate a faint path that leads up to the abandonned shooting hut on the topthen towards Cock Hill then down to Glossop.
    Doctor's gate is good and you have options from it too. Dog rock and yellowslacks are good spots if you are interested in climbing and its history. and they make a nice little circular out of it.

Have you been there recently? The hut has been buggered about with and the nearby cairn has been wrecked.There are tarps and bits of wood there but it doesn't look like they know how to use the materials. I wondered if it might be people from the nearby weather station buggereing about?

I was that hut less than a month ago and there were plenty of plastic chairs. I think it's more likely some shooting party set up the place like that.

If I do a variation I go up the concession path to access land then follow the ridge route to Higher Shelf Stones then just cut across to Bleaklow Stones.

Somebits left to explore around Bleaklow for me, never did the connecting route between Bleaklow Head and Alport/Derwent for one reason or the other....

It can be a long walk from Bleaklow over that way. Obviosly paths are non existent and the terrain can get tough. If you are going to Grinnah stones and Barrow stones I would go from Derwent although I haven't done it a mate of mine has, there are "special" huts that way too so I believe. Most of the stones around there are wort checking out, some of the cloughs too, watch wher you cross the Alport valley me and a mate crossed it twice one night. walking from Doctors gate culvert to Grinnah stones via alport, and it was knackering for a night walk.