Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chicks Social Meet

Well, you can't necessarily allow the slowest member to dictate the pace of the group, but there are ways of helping slower members to maintain pace, eg: group leader drops back and walks with slower member, chats, ensures their motivation / morale is ok, makes sure slower member isn't loaded down with all the group kit etc.

As a not particularly fast walker one thing that's pissed me off in the past in group-led walks is group stops for quick break or to get breath, then group starts off again as soon as back-markers catch up. Hang on, what about my quick break?!!

I remember very clearly an OM walk in the Lakes a few years ago when I was struggling on an uphill section. One of the fitter, more experienced OM members waited for me, then chatted with me going up the slope, introducing me to the concept of zig-zagging. I doubt very much I said anything back, but it did help!

Well said Kate

The thing is the pace of the slowest member IS the pace of the group. Unless the group abandons that member they have to wait anyway, invariably getting cold in the process.

Steve D

Welcome to OM, Rosie.

I think we met recently, when you were running one of the MCofS GPS courses at Glenmore Lodge. I was in Heather's group, with the Garmin Geko.

I'll be in the area that weekend (doing the MCofS winter skills refresher and Avalanche awareness days) but might be up for joining in if there's anything social going on on the Saturday night? It would definitely be good to meet other women based in Scotland who're into all things mountainous!

Zoe

Widdler

Hello Zoe,

good to hear from you and of course the Geko places you perfectly! It'd be great to see you & you'd be really welcome to come along. I know signal isn't great at the Lodge, but how about you text me & i'll get back to you with an time (as I'm not sure what time we'll be off the hill) to come over? My number is 07720 706731. And if you can't get hold of me (maybe your phone won't work there at all) then just head over some time in the evening.

Lookward to seeing you & have fun skillsing about on Saturday, Rosie

Thanks Rosie, I'll do that! Happy Hogmanay, and hope to see you on the 7th.

Kate - your post 21/12 -14:53.
    I too am a slow walker, especially on the uphill where my oxygen intake is poor (small lungs). Your comment echoed my experience of group walking. I find I end up either putting up and not having the best time, or asking for the group to adjust their ways and getting dirty looks!! I always 'perform' best when walking solo but thats not the answer either as I do enjoy sharing too. Sorry we live so far apart as we might suit as walking partners!