Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicks Social Meet

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

I might well be inclined to advertise a meet for 'sensible people only, no morons'.
    Oh my.

Frum, this is a group of women who prefer to undertake outdoors activities by themselves; they have their own website and organise their own meets. It's not Outdoors Magic. If there was a 'men only' meet on OM of course I'd probably complain, but I'm not going to criticise other groups for their preferences, which appear to be entirely understandable given the responses of some of the people on here.

I might well be inclined to advertise a meet for 'sensible people only, no morons'.
    that would be a tiny meet, kate

‹bermensch
    im confused now.......... thought this was good natured banter,,,, oh well no more from me

Quote Originally Posted by lfenbo View Post
    im confused now.......... thought this was good natured banter,,,, oh well no more from me
    it's not bad natured, ifenbo

just healthy differences in genit... opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Posh Totty View Post

that would be a tiny meet, kate

Did anyone spot it was a spam post from a commercial outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post
    yup

still managed to jerk a few knees though

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    yup

still managed to jerk a few knees though
    commercial in the same sense that, say, our own ian gallagher or paddy dillon are?

Everyone's arguing about everything... but we're all still waiting to hear the OPs views on Paramo versus Gore-tex, or whether the Romans did us any good, and without hearing their opinions on such crucial matters, one can only assume that they came here to take money off the good ladies of OM. (The men can offer money, but it won't be taken!)

everyone starts somewhere, paddy.

given a warm welcome, you never know, she may just feel like joining in.

Vhat about me, darlinks? I haf der voman's undervear, and der inclinaschens to go mit it. I could bring der Barbara Streisand unt Liza Minelli ont der iPod. Ve could haf eine ball!

Ultra King

IIRC they are a good setup and have been around for some time. In the sense the organisation has not the ladies running it. It is a commercial entity and as such surely contravenes the OM rules somewhere but it is a good organisation and has a valid reason sometimes to exclude men.

BTW there is nothing wrong with single sex meets and anyone who has a problem with it is an idiot really. I for one would not be interested as both genders often provide something missing in single sex groups. I dont know why anyone would have a problem with it even if it was organised through OM meets section of the forum. I hope there are not too many of them as I had a real laugh at a recent mixed OM meet.

Frum, this is a group of women who prefer to undertake outdoors activities by themselves; they have their own website and organise their own meets. It's not Outdoors Magic.
    Key things to point out Kate I think.Perhaps a commercialorganisation should sort their own publicity on their own site and not on another commercial one without contributing to that site in fees or something. It is not organising it through OM open to all (or at least all women on OM who want to come). Not a problem but other spammers have been picked up on before even by you so perhaps this is in the wrong place.

Still, I have heard from some women who have been out with them and highly recommend them so overall I'm not that bothered but an exception to spamming nonetheless surely.

Ultra King

Here he is... German Bob. I was vondering vere he he vas hiding!

Sorry, IGMC!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Lancashire View Post

BTW there is nothing wrong with single sex meets and anyone who has a problem with it is an idiot really.
    As is anyone who can't tell when folk are just taking the piss.

Widdler

well, having soaked in a very long bath I'm now ready to join in. I'm not spam. And it was actually a normal sized bath.

Eh hem, seems I should have introduced myself, very sorry for my rudeness.

Chicks Unleashed is mountain courses, mostly, set up by women, for women; quite simply to encourage & support them in their mountain adventures. It started in 2003 with a big Winter Seminar. The reason it was started (and many similar things have been tried before & since) was because most courses &the centres participants & instructors / guides are made up mostly of men. It may suprise many of you to hear (or maybe not) that a lot of women are put off by that. Not because they don't like men or want to exclude them, but because they feel they won't be able to keep up. Or just fancy a day out with the girls.

Most of the courses & expeditions we run are commercial, but our Social Meet is different - we run it for fun & for giving people the opportunity to meet climbing or walking pals at the beginning of the winter - though it'll be quite far in by the time we get to the 7th!

Okay, so that's me joining in....

.....one can only assume that they came here to take money off the good ladies of OM.
    Why assume it's spam?

The OP states up-front that it's a not-for-profit meet. Sure, there are costs to cover, but in that respect it's little different from anyone on here booking a barn or youth hostel for group use and then sharing the cost among participants.

Also Chicks Unleashed have been to OM before, admittedly some time ago, but put 'Chicks Unleashed' into the OM search box and you return more than a dozen hits including articles and competitions etc. published by Jon. I can't say that they've run this past Jon ahead of posting, but can you say that they haven't?

Remember to put the seat down when your finished Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Goolden View Post
    Not because they don't like men or want to exclude them, but because they feel they won't be able to keep up.
    hi, rosie.

the above quote does ring a bell - i was out on a course recently and was the only girl. i kept up, but fretted that i only kept up because they slowed down and therefore was still a bit of a burden. i was also a bit taken aback on being congratulated by a complete stranger for being able to keep up...

it doesn't/hasn't put me off - and i'm sure there are unfit men who also worry about their... performance... - but i can see why there would be plenty of women who would rather just sidestep the whole issue.

so welcome to OM.